Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnereli View Post
Hello everyone,

This is a nice conversation you guys have here. I'm glad it has stayed civil. I was one of the participants of the carry walk this past weekend. I want to clarify what our intent was. This was not a protest by strict definition. As has been mentioned there is no pending anti-gun legislation right now and we would like to keep it that way. Our purpose was to simply support the second amendment, inform people of their gun rights in the state of Indiana and show that it isn't just the thugs and gangsters who carry guns. We were a group of average citizens who care about all of our freedoms and decided to let it be known.
I would like to say that in addition to this reason "I" for one would like to see the "BAD" stigma that is present when anybody is carrying a weapon be taken down. In other words I would like to see the sight of someone carrying a gun openly to be less of a "fright" to people for lack of a better word.
I went into Kroger one night several months ago and did NOT have my overshirt (the tshirt that I wear over my undershirt to "hide or conceal" my handgun) with me this particular night because I wasn't planning on going anywhere. As I walked into Kroger I got a couple of funny looks. I picked up my bag of ice and proceeded to the self checkout. Then as I left, the self-checkout overseer stopped me and asked if she could ask me a personla question. Of course I said yes certainly! and put my ice down next to me and listned to her ask if it was really legal to carry my gun on my side like that. So I proceeded to let her know about the licensing process and the background checks and the fingerprinting and all that and then she confessed that when she saw me with my custom 1911 in a snappy leather holster she thought I was going to rob her! To which I nervously chuckled and replied no, most certainly not. Then I explained that I would never break the law like that because I love my freedoms. If in fact a bad guy were to enter the store they would most definitley keep the gun hidden until that moment of surprise when they need to gain the uipper hand. And that IF she sees almost anyone carrying a gun in the open with a nice holster in plain sight they are more often than not legal and not someone to be afraid of.
The next morning I returned to the store to make sure I had explained myself to her satisfactorily. There I met up with an old friend who knew me and worked with the scared lady and came over to me and hugged me and told the other lady that if there was ever someone she DIDN'T need to fear it was Mike here!
I still return to that store and quite friendly speak to that same cashier to let her know that all gun owners are NOT bad guys.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,056 times
Just for the record, if you buy a gun at a gun store, there IS a background check. Some pet adoption agencies also do checks. When we adopted our cat, they came out a couple weeks later to check on his environment.

Very rarely is a gun bought in a legal manner, used in a crime.

Southside Shrek? Just curious if you read my reply to one of your posts, listed above. Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:25 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't know, although along those lines I've heard it said that if more people carried guns, there wouldn't be as much crime because the criminals would be scared off by a population packing heat. Problem is, Americans own/carry more guns than any other civilized nation, yet we're also one of the most violent.
Actually the % of population owning guns is higher in Switzerland,Finland and Norway.
I had 2 rifles when I lived in Germany,lots of people did.
There is no correlation between violence and gun ownwership,one of the few things the right is right about.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:22 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I never came upon the passage where Jesus allegedly said to his followers "Get a sword." If that is in the Bible, would you please tell me the chapter and verse.

I always thought that Jesus was a peace-loving person when He was here on earth in human form. He certainly didn't take up a sword or gun to try to stop those coming to arrest Him and nail Him up on a large cross.
Luke Chapter 22 verse 36. It's an interesting passage. It has always struck me as a suggestion of self-defense, not offense, perhaps for the end times.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 20,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieTJx2 View Post
Luke 22:36 - He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
What kind of Bible are you using? The KJV don't say that so I am just wondering.
Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM

BTW I am 100% in favor of the walk.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Sorry I found it, was looking in the wrong place

Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,492 times
Sorry, I couldn't make it because I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan for Round 2 with the 82nd Airborne Division protecting the Constitution and the 2nd amendment with it. I'll be back to Indy in a couple years when I get out and I'll make up for it then.

The only thing I'm going to add to this argument is that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member5368.png (broken link)

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 38,465 times
I really don't know what the point of the walk was. It seemed kind of silly to me for a group of people to be walking around downtown with assault rifles and handguns strapped on. I know they are probably harmless, but do they actually think that average ordinary people going about their everyday lives are going to welcome the presence of weapons for no reason? I think that even most gun owners know better than to parade around with weapons, just because "they can."

Old 10-03-2009, 01:05 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
IMO i dont mind seeing some one carrying a side arm.
but the assault rifle thing is a little much.
im an avid hunter and i have never seen a need for me to own an AK or SKS.
sure they are cool but what good are they.
its none of my business what people own for guns.
i dont care if they want to walk down main street with them this is America have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis