Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times

Advertisements

Des Moines is not that far off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Des Moines is not that far off
How so?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
How so?
"not that far off" meant not in distance, but similar size, in cornfields, non-descript with similar downtowns with capitol buildings. I got the same feeling from both cities though Columbus indeed comes closer

Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
"not that far off" meant not in distance, but similar size, in cornfields, non-descript with similar downtowns with capitol buildings. I got the same feeling from both cities though Columbus indeed comes closer
Indianapolis:

City pop: 798,382 (2008 Est. from C-D)
MSA: 1,525,104 (2000 Census)
White non-Hispanic pop: 68%

Des Moines:

City pop: 196,998 (2008 Est. from C-D)
MSA: 481,394 (2000 Census)
White non-Hispanic pop: 79%

In terms of size and racial makeup, the two aren't even close. It is true, of course, to note that both are surrounded by corn, and both are state capitols. They're also home to small, well-regarded universities (Butler in Indy's case; Drake for Des Moines).

Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Odessa, Texas
I really don't think so.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I really don't think so.
It was an obvious joke.

I third Columbus, Ohio. Very similar.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Indianapolis:

City pop: 798,382 (2008 Est. from C-D)
MSA: 1,525,104 (2000 Census)
White non-Hispanic pop: 68%

Des Moines:

City pop: 196,998 (2008 Est. from C-D)
MSA: 481,394 (2000 Census)
White non-Hispanic pop: 79%

In terms of size and racial makeup, the two aren't even close. It is true, of course, to note that both are surrounded by corn, and both are state capitols. They're also home to small, well-regarded universities (Butler in Indy's case; Drake for Des Moines).
I would call that racial makeup difference not all that different . And the way Indy counts its metro area by including the whole county is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. I did however expect Des Moines to be a bit more populous.
That said I still see more similarities than not. Also, granted I am no expert on either cities. I am more familiar with Indy than Des Moines in which I stayed there for just a few hours. Lets say its the feeling I get from both cities

Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I would call that racial makeup difference not all that different . And the way Indy counts its metro area by including the whole county is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. I did however expect Des Moines to be a bit more populous.
That said I still see more similarities than not. Also, granted I am no expert on either cities. I am more familiar with Indy than Des Moines in which I stayed there for just a few hours. Lets say its the feeling I get from both cities
Indy's MSA is more than just Marion County, as Des Moines' MSA is more than just Des Moines proper. An MSA includes the city proper and surrounding suburban areas (admittedly that's a simplified definition). So, I don't know what you're getting at by saying it's an apples to oranges comparison. You may be referring to the fact that Indy's city proper population includes almost all of Marion County. This is because the city covers all of Marion County, except for the excluded towns of Lawrence, Southport, Speedway and Beech Grove. No tricks there at all. It's been that way since 1970.

Indy also has major league sports, has hosted international and major national sports competitions, and hosts major conventions. Des Moines hasn't. Sorry to sound argumentative, but Indy is in a much bigger league than Des Moines.

As for racial makeup, an 11% difference is very significant if you consider the entire country is only about 12% African-American.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Indy's MSA is more than just Marion County, as Des Moines' MSA is more than just Des Moines proper. An MSA includes the city proper and surrounding suburban areas (admittedly that's a simplified definition). So, I don't know what you're getting at by saying it's an apples to oranges comparison. You may be referring to the fact that Indy's city proper population includes almost all of Marion County. This is because the city covers all of Marion County, except for the excluded towns of Lawrence, Southport, Speedway and Beech Grove. No tricks there at all. It's been that way since 1970.

Indy also has major league sports, has hosted international and major national sports competitions, and hosts major conventions. Des Moines hasn't. Sorry to sound argumentative, but Indy is in a much bigger league than Des Moines.

As for racial makeup, an 11% difference is very significant if you consider the entire country is only about 12% African-American.
No problem, arguments are fine as long as they have limits.
Anyway, yes counting the whole county is a disadvantage to other cities.
Hmm, bigger league in what you said but when it comes to living there they are probably not much different.It is pretty plain living in both cities. Looking at this from a bigger prespective many cities in the midwest are pretty similar. I can only find myself going to a zoo or musuem once in a blue moon. Indy wants to be in a bigger league but is a long way from that IMO. Not too long ago Indy was called a nap town. Would give the city though an A for effort.
Don't the Colts have a real small fan base like Green Bay?

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-09-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Don't the Colts have a real small fan base like Green Bay?
You actually think the Packers have a small fan base? Have you seen how many Packers fans turn up at stadiums around the NFL when they play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis