Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,463 times

Advertisements

So I'm about to move to Indianapolis in a few weeks have several general questions:

- I'm looking to live downtown close to a good nightlife scene, I can spend as much as ~$1500 a month, anyone know of good areas or Apartment building names downtown that are a little more upscale and in a fun area?

-Sports bars? I'm a huge baseball fan and like to go out and watch baseball frequently during baseball season. Are there any good sports bars in the city? I'm a Yankees fan, and assume most people in Indy are either Cubs or White Sox fans.

-What's a good place to meet younger single women, in the 25-30 age range? Are there any particular bars or restaurants that attract single young women? Not so much a college scene, but more of a young professional scene.

-How far is the majority of shopping (Best Buys, malls, furniture stores, etc.) from the downtown area?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times
Default Wow!

I haven't lived in Indy since 1987! This brought back many fond memories of a town I only lived in for one year (college).

Since I haven't lived there in such a long time, I can't really tell you anything useful. Sorry.

I can tell you that:
1.) I lived on the west side (34th st., between Moller and Georgetown), very near the racetrack, and it was a very short commute to downtown. Indy isn't all that big. I also liked it very much.

2.) Once you get inside the circle, you can't get out. You're like a hamster in a great big wheel!

3.) Don't take I-465 around the city, just take I-65 straight through. Again, Indy isn't all that big.

4.) Indy traffic is elementary school practice for driving in Chicago.

So maybe I was able to fill you in on some of Indy's more subtle nuances, but nothing about where to find the pink hotels, the boutiques and the swingin' hot spots.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY27 View Post
So I'm about to move to Indianapolis in a few weeks have several general questions:

- I'm looking to live downtown close to a good nightlife scene, I can spend as much as ~$1500 a month, anyone know of good areas or Apartment building names downtown that are a little more upscale and in a fun area?

-Sports bars? I'm a huge baseball fan and like to go out and watch baseball frequently during baseball season. Are there any good sports bars in the city? I'm a Yankees fan, and assume most people in Indy are either Cubs or White Sox fans.

-What's a good place to meet younger single women, in the 25-30 age range? Are there any particular bars or restaurants that attract single young women? Not so much a college scene, but more of a young professional scene.

-How far is the majority of shopping (Best Buys, malls, furniture stores, etc.) from the downtown area?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
some help, take it for what it is worth:

- $1500 will go a long way here. Check out Mass Ave. Check out some of the "luxury" buildings in and around the Wholesale District (such as the Maxwell), check out some of the units along the central canal. I don't know a lot of the building names, I am a commoner who can not fathom putting 1500 per month down on an apt

- Indy seems a majority Cubs and Reds town. I honestly don't know any Sox fans. For those keeping score, I am a Detroit Tiger fan. Sports bars are everywhere. Champs downtown is good for what it is. I don't really seek out sports bars often

- The closest Best Buy to downtown is at Lafayette Road and I-65 northwest of downtown. It is new. Lafayette Square Mall is nearby at 38th and Lafayette Road. Avoid that mall. The easiest mall to get to from downtown is Greenwood Park Mall in Greenwood. You will find big box retail and furniture in that same area. Castleton Square mall is on East 82nd Street just east of Allisonville Road. I work in Castleton, it is a lot easier to take 70 east to 465 north from downtown than it is to take Keystone to Binford. Don't listen to the joker advising you to avoid 465.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
It is also worth noting that this advice, which commonly comes from Chicagoans, is very unhelpful and assumes all of us have Chicago to use as a benchmark. Yes, traffic hear is lighter than Chicago. However, I encourage you to travel the 465/69 interchange during afternoon rush hour; 65 south and 70 east bound into the splits downtown in the afternoon; or 70 west bound into downtown in the morning. Then report back to us about the traffic.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Like every one else said check out Mass. ave downtown or the wholesale district because 1500 will get you a lot.

By the way, the closest mall downtown is obviously Circle Centre Mall and not Greenwood because Circle Centre is downtown. Oh and there are a lot of single women in that age group across town, but a lot in Broad Ripple.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
By the way, the closest mall downtown is obviously Circle Centre Mall
How did I do that. I go to Circle Center all the time

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,463 times
Thanks Guys. I've been looking in the wholesale district, looks like a hell of a place, and really fun. When I did my job interview there I was staying right at the centre mall, nice place too, seems like it could've went either way. I'm looking forward to moving in town and having a good time. Yeah I have to work too, but I'd rather not think about it.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
I lived in Indy until 2000 and was born and raised there (30 years old). $1500 a month will go a very long way in Indianapolis, so you need not worry about finding a nice place, especially downtown. As far as a Best Buy goes, you will have to travel several miles out from the center. Many Best Buys are near the major malls in newer areas of the city: Castleton, Greenwood, The Fashion Square, etc. Circle Center Mall, at Washington and Meridian streets, may be a decent place to find some things you would find at larger, more traditional malls. As far as baseball fans goes, most people in Indy cheer for either the Cubs, Whitesox or Cincy Reds. But BEING SINGLE IN INDY IS A BIT DIFFICULT. It's Midwest atmosphere makes it a "marriage minded" community and great for raising a family, making it a bit difficult to find places where the single crowd hangs out, especially for nightlife. This is perhaps Indy's biggest weakness. But good luck to you and welcome to Indianapolis!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I haven't lived in Indy since 1987! This brought back many fond memories of a town I only lived in for one year (college).

Since I haven't lived there in such a long time, I can't really tell you anything useful. Sorry.

I can tell you that:
1.) I lived on the west side (34th st., between Moller and Georgetown), very near the racetrack, and it was a very short commute to downtown. Indy isn't all that big. I also liked it very much.

2.) Once you get inside the circle, you can't get out. You're like a hamster in a great big wheel!

3.) Don't take I-465 around the city, just take I-65 straight through. Again, Indy isn't all that big.

So maybe I was able to fill you in on some of Indy's more subtle nuances, but nothing about where to find the pink hotels, the boutiques and the swingin' hot spots.
If you are from Chicago, why not stay on forums for you own city?? Stop insulting Indy. Of course it isnt as big as Chicago! geeez

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

369 posts, read 681,805 times
I would live in Broad Ripple if I were you. I never cared much for the Downtown Indy bar scene. I like the Broad Ripple bars better, just seemed to be a _little_ more upscale crowd. With Broad Ripple, you could always get cab rides to downtown, or the north side.

I know only one person in the early 20s range who goes out. She goes out to Fox and Hound. I went there years ago. They area nationwide bar and I saw their Facebook page. The photos that I saw didn't seem to be the kind of bar the one in Indy was (there are now two) in terms of bikini contest, bikini wrestling, etc.. Maybe that is why I couldn't find any Indy Fox and Hound photos? Maybe the concept of that bar has since changed? It was always where people in their mid 20s and up seemed to be hanging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis