Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
not to be terribly snarky, but even the governor of indiana doesn't live in marion county ...
haha, well, I'm sure it's hard to pick up and live in a new mansion someone gives you. Especially if it's smaller than the one you already have in another county. It's a rough life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
haha, well, I'm sure it's hard to pick up and live in a new mansion someone gives you. Especially if it's smaller than the one you already have in another county. It's a rough life.
oh no! They sold the one on Geist, which was in Marion County and built a new one in Carmel after he was elected.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
oh no! They sold the one on Geist, which was in Marion County and built a new one in Carmel after he was elected.
Maybe he didn't want to get annexed by Fishers. Whatever happened with that anyway? Is there still an annexation going to happen?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I don't think his property was on the annexation list as he was in marion county. Fishers was trying to annex the hamilton county part of geist.

the annexation was successful for Fishers and now Geist is in the midst of getting new zip codes.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 AM

5 posts, read 8,858 times
Rave, as an economy grows you will see higher taxes.

Just how it is..and indy suburbs are some of the fastest growing in the nation, mainly because cost of living and property are so low. Compare indiana and the areas you mentioned moving to, to the coasts. Southern cali you'll pay 2 million for a 3k sq ft and you'll find 8-15k sq ft here in indy and the suburbs. More people are relocating for that simple fact, and their also moving their businesses here as well, my father is one of them.

Seriously, we don't have it even half as bad as most areas in the rest of the us.

Like domergirl said, you might want to consider moving sooner rather than later.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
Taxes are a part of life ,get over it or live in a cave .

Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Wow. People actually welcoming more taxes?! Wait till your taxes get close to the level of Chicago-then you will regret your eagerness!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:31 AM

369 posts, read 681,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Wow. People actually welcoming more taxes?! Wait till your taxes get close to the level of Chicago-then you will regret your eagerness!
Given the level of corruption and political games in this city/state, it doesn't surprise me that there would be plenty of folks here advocating for additional taxation. I myself work for a public-private entity, but I am not advocating additional taxation just so I can have a rise. As my taxes go up, my charitable giving goes down. Any volunteer work ceases as I will need that time to either work over-time, or a second job, or I won't be able to afford the gas to drive to the volunteer site. No more donating clothing to Goodwill, I will be forced to sell it, for whatever I can get out of it, on Craigslist and the like.

I don't make that much money. I am well off because I am frugal, the vast majority of folks in my household income bracket are anything but. I still don't think we have seen the worse of this economy. The construction and real estate industrial complexes in the Indy metro area are going to try hard as pushing as many public works projects they can. Their CEOs, and other executives love raking in the six-figure+ wages, yet pay the exact same taxes as those making $40K/year. This is what happens when we use sales taxes to pay for these products. That way, the rich get to keep more of their money, as we aren't taxing income on a percentage basis.

The tax for mass transit is horrible. Mass transit won't work here. This entire area is too spread out.

All I can say is that if you think the property tax caps were any saving grace, you had best keep a close eye on your assessed value. Wouldn't surprise me the games that politicians play with AVs to keep their brotheren from having to cut from their governmental agencies.

If we need taxes, we need to tax household incomes of over $100K another 15-20%. Household incomes in the $80-$100K range, 10%. Anything under $80K needs to be left as is.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
If we need taxes, we need to tax household incomes of over $100K another 15-20%. Household incomes in the $80-$100K range, 10%. Anything under $80K needs to be left as is.
Ah, yes..........class warfare!!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
People making more money than you already DO pay a higher tax rate on those higher portions of their salary to the federal government. Once their salary passes a certain point, the tax rate on the dollars they make above that level are assessed at a higher percentage.

For instance, let's say a person making up to 30k per year is taxed at 15%. If a person then went from a salary of 30k to a salary of 50K, the additional 20k might be taxed at a rate of 25%. That rate goes up to around 33% or so for people making a little over 150k, and then up again somewhere at a higher level. It's called their marginal tax rate.

There is absolutely no reason to say that these people's taxes should be raised by an additional 20%. If that's the case, then what you're saying is that is is perfectly okay for the federal government alone to take over HALF of a person's earnings. That's not including state and local taxes. Are you also suggesting that those should also go up by 15-20%? There's no reason to penalize someone extra because they have educated themselves in a way which allows them to make more money than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis