U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,012 posts, read 11,671,412 times
Reputation: 5804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wisconsin elected Scott Walker as governor, and Paul Ryan's district is in SE Wisconsin.
^ Enough said. Don't ever call Wisconsin as a state liberal or all that progressive again when they have those sorts of wackos in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM
 
Location: A Cultural Backwater
225 posts, read 742,655 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I just visited Madison. Now, I can objectively compare both per your question.

Madison = college town with a state capital
Indianapolis = large city with a state capital

I feel like we are comparing Ann Arbor versus Columbus here, the difference is between chocolate and ****!
I'm not sure I would call Indianapolis a large city. Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles are large cities. Indianapolis is a medium-sized city, because it is not in the same league with them. It isn't even in the same league with Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Boston, or Washington, DC. Madison is a small city (albeit very progressive and bicycle-friendly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,886,850 times
Reputation: 1218
It's all subject to different people despite his or her political beliefs (republican, dem, socialist, communist etc.) or what they want in a city. There are so many varied life quality categories to list which one of them may or may not be important to one's preference when comparing both places. Madison would be too small of a place for me to live. That alone would be a big Con for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
26,077 posts, read 45,117,331 times
Reputation: 19036
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It's all subject to different people despite his or her political beliefs (republican, dem, socialist, communist etc.) or what they want in a city. There are so many varied life quality categories to list which one of them may or may not be important to one's preference when comparing both places. Madison would be too small of a place for me to live. That alone would be a big Con for me.
Madison is a large city by my standards. I feel most comfortable living in cities in the 25-50K size range.
Also, due to the fact that Madison occupies a geographic isthmus between lakes Mendota and Monona that leads to huge variations in population density within a relatively short distance. The Downtown, Capitol, and University areas have census tracts of 10-20K people per square mile, whereas some suburban and rural census tracts are less than 1K people per square mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,012 posts, read 11,671,412 times
Reputation: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
I'm not sure I would call Indianapolis a large city. Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles are large cities. Indianapolis is a medium-sized city, because it is not in the same league with them. It isn't even in the same league with Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Boston, or Washington, DC. Madison is a small city (albeit very progressive and bicycle-friendly).
Yeah, those are the 3 largest cities in the nation, of course they are large. Indianapolis is 830,000 to Madison at 240,000. HUGE difference. The metro is 568,000 compared to Indy at 1.9 million, it's 1/4 the size.

I wouldn't consider Minneapolis in the same league with the other cities you mentioned, (seattle, boston, D.C.). Minneapolis metro is barely any larger than Indy metro. Indianapolis is a major mid-western city, on the national scale its metro ranks 33rd I believe, so it's not nearly as larger there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Floyd County, IN
26,077 posts, read 45,117,331 times
Reputation: 19036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Yeah, those are the 3 largest cities in the nation, of course they are large. Indianapolis is 830,000 to Madison at 240,000. HUGE difference. The metro is 568,000 compared to Indy at 1.9 million, it's 1/4 the size.

I wouldn't consider Minneapolis in the same league with the other cities you mentioned, (seattle, boston, D.C.). Minneapolis metro is barely any larger than Indy metro. Indianapolis is a major mid-western city, on the national scale its metro ranks 33rd I believe, so it's not nearly as larger there.
Indy has definitely overtaken KC in terms of economic performance, GDP growth, income growth, and population growth, and the new airport terminal certainly helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Chicago
248 posts, read 362,694 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Horribly conservative? Indianapolis has a democratically controlled legislature. In 2008 almost 70% of Marion County voted for Barack Obama, not sure how that rings "horribly conservative".

Now, in nearby Hamilton county I can see there being a lot of conservative folk.
See the thing with Marion county it covers ALL of indy now will Hamilton in Cincinnati it covers only a little bit of meanwhile other counties in Cincinnati are covering a little bit of Cincinnati. Now if Cincinnati was to have a county that covers all of it it would look much more democratic I mean the city is half black. I mean not trying to stereotype but don't you think its a little odd that Cincinnati has way more blacks than indy yet indy voted more democratic, you obviously have to look deeper into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
 
1,550 posts, read 1,845,471 times
Reputation: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
See the thing with Marion county it covers ALL of indy now will Hamilton in Cincinnati it covers only a little bit of meanwhile other counties in Cincinnati are covering a little bit of Cincinnati. Now if Cincinnati was to have a county that covers all of it it would look much more democratic I mean the city is half black. I mean not trying to stereotype but don't you think its a little odd that Cincinnati has way more blacks than indy yet indy voted more democratic, you obviously have to look deeper into it.
I think you have your facts wrong. Indianapolis has more African-Americans than Cincinnati. Cincinnati just has a higher number per capita. If you counted all of Hamilton County you still wouldn't have more AA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM
 
271 posts, read 447,602 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
I'm not sure I would call Indianapolis a large city. Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles are large cities. Indianapolis is a medium-sized city, because it is not in the same league with them. It isn't even in the same league with Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Boston, or Washington, DC. Madison is a small city (albeit very progressive and bicycle-friendly).
I thought this thread was about Indy and Madison Nobody claimed Indy is as large as Chicago or NYC or even D.C. and Boston. NYC and LA are not just large but huge mega cities naturally they can't compete with any other U.S. city in terms of "size", so the term "large" isn't necessarily tied to them only. In midwestern/regional standards, Indianapolis is a LARGE city especially compared to medium sized cities like Madison, Ft. Wayne, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,012 posts, read 11,671,412 times
Reputation: 5804
I hope you all know when I said Hamilton County I was referring to Hamilton County Indiana, the one just to the east of Marion County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top