Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times

Advertisements

I am not a native Hoosier so I can state this without being a homer. I love living in Indiana because of the people. Overall they are friendly, helpful and nice to be around. Sure there are some jerks as there are everywhere.
Years ago racism was a big issue. Whomever talks of Indianapolis being racist is talking history not currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 AM

265 posts, read 964,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I am not a native Hoosier so I can state this without being a homer. I love living in Indiana because of the people. Overall they are friendly, helpful and nice to be around. Sure there are some jerks as there are everywhere.
Years ago racism was a big issue. Whomever talks of Indianapolis being racist is talking history not currently.
I completely agree and that is what I also like about Indianapolis and the larger cities and towns in Indiana. The people are genuinely nice and friendly. You don't encounter that everywhere. It's easy to make friends and that scores points as far as I am concerned, moreso than the proximity of mountains or an ocean. That, combined with the low cost of home ownership makes it a win-win.

We don't live in Indianapolis, but I would have no second thoughts about moving there if necessary. We are there frequently, either for shopping, golfing, attending sporting events, dining or flying in and out of the airport (another big plus...the airport is a pleasure compared to some). We do have friends who live in Carmel and it's a very nice suburb.

Indiana is a four seasons state so you will have to acclimate to cold winters with a few snow events. Summers can be hot and humid, but nothing like south Florida's.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:55 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
I live in Avon and I love it. Carmel is fabulous too. I think you would have no problem finding a very very nice home in the range you are looking at. The traffic heading down Meridian towards downtown Indy can get kind of tiresome, but I do love the Clay Terrace mall. There is also the fashion mall at keystone.

If you have a chanc,e you really should come visit Indy before making the decision, a blind leap of faith would be really hard for anyone. I think that once you check it out, you will be very happy.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,322 times
Racial tension is natural where there are drastic cultural divides. Indianapolis is German founded and built, and once accompanied only a marginal dissimilar racial population. As in most cities over the years Blacks have baby boomed while White guilt simultaneously has risen - hence the prevalence of White 'Flight' in oppose to 'Fight'.

This has laid to waste miles of previously maintained German style homes and shops to a dissimilar people who naturally feel under the microscope, as well as victimized and empowered; subsequently resulting in higher crime and racial tension not as apparent in non-urban areas where Blacks are scattered and overwhelmingly influenced/supported by the surrounding, morally indebted White majority.

Euro-Americans who have witnessed the changing racial dynamics in Indy share a profoundly more genuine perception of race than closeted Whites, who generally share an abstractly Marxist derived, egalitarian view propagated by the controlled media.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 6,322 times
As for the Greater City of Indianapolis...

The previous posters pretty much have the positives covered.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:54 AM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Let me preface my response: Indianapolis is quite possibly the most underrated city in America. For some reason, people like to make summary judgments about Indy without visiting. Indy isn't Chicago; Indy isn't NYC; but Indy is an awesome city that has a lot more to offer than most people give it credit for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie A View Post
1. The restaurants - are there great restaurants in the area?
In a word, yes. Of course, that depends on your definition of "great." You can find everything from cheap chains to very high-end steak and seafood restaurants in Indianapolis, as well as a wide variety of ethnic cuisine. Indianapolis is a very new city, so there are fewer of the multi-generational ethnic places you'll find in older cities like NYC or Chicago, but I am quite happy with the dining selection here. Let me put it this way: my wife and I both grew up here, and there are still places on our "list" that we haven't tried.

To get an idea of what there is to eat around here, check out this website: Best of Metromix Indianapolis | Metromix Indianapolis

Quote:
2. Cultural diversity - racial and religious
Cultural diversity in Indianapolis depends on where you are in the city. For the most part, I think Indy has a good level of diversity for a city it's size. I run into people from all over the world at places like Starbucks and Costco; like I mentioned before, all but the most exotic ethnic foods are represented in the Indy dining scene, etc. On the other hand, though, there are still some tensions in some parts of the city. As a white guy, there are parts of the city I wouldn't be comfortable in at certain times of day, and there are parts of the city that black people wouldn't be comfortable in as well. That is definitely exception, not the rule, however. Overall, I think race relations are very stable in Indy.

In Carmel, I think you'll find a large number of nationalities represented, but there is a much higher percentage of white people. The city is definitely more diverse than Carmel, but I'd say Carmel is probably the most diverse of the suburbs.

As far as religious diversity, Indy has a good mix: the Islamic Society of North America is headquartered in Plainfield (western suburb), there is a strong Jewish community, there are Buddhist, Baha'i, Hindu, and Sikh presences as well. Bloomington (about 60 miles south of Indy) has a Buddhist monastery as well. For more info, check out this website: Clergy Notes - World Religions in Indianapolis

There is a high level of diversity among Christian denominations as well. Of course, there are many Catholic churches and schools, and every major Protestant denomination is represented. There is a good-sized Eastern European community in Indy, so there are several Eastern Orthodox churches as well. Actually, St. George's, located on 106th Street in Carmel, puts on an awesome Greek & Middle Eastern Festival every summer which is a blast.

Quote:
3. Schools in Carmel
Carmel-Clay Schools are perennially among the best in the state, and are often included on national "best-of" lists. Carmel High School is unbelievable; some of the facilities are better than small colleges.

Quote:
4. Universities in Indianapolis
Indy is home to several universities. IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis) is definitely the center of higher learning in Indianapolis. It is located downtown, and has about 25,000 in the student body. It used to be mainly a commuter campus, but that has changed a lot in the last decade; now, there is a vibrant campus community in and around the area due to the many students living there. The IU medical, dental, nursing schools are at IUPUI only. The law and business schools are at IUPUI as well as on the main IU campus in Bloomington. The Herron School of Fine Art at IUPUI is an outstanding program as well. Link: IUPUI: Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis

Butler is the other major university in Indy; it is located in the "midtown" area (called Butler-Tarkington), between downtown and Broad Ripple on the north side. It is much smaller than IUPUI, but is a highly-respected school with excellent academic and athletic programs. Butler's campus is more "traditional," with more on-campus housing, a greek system, etc. Butler has very strong performing arts programs - they host events on campus all the time, and often bring in national and international acts as well. Link: Butler University

University of Indianapolis is a smaller school on the south side. I don't know much about it, but here is a link so you can learn more: University of Indianapolis: Inspiring Excellence

Ivy Tech is the main community college around Indy; it has an enormous student body, mostly made up of kids that are planning to transfer to other schools.

There are others, like Indiana Wesleyan University, Ball State University's Indianapolis extension campus, and so on. Indiana University's main campus is in Bloomington, about 60 miles south of Indianapolis. Purdue University's main campus is in West Lafayette, about 70 miles to the northwest. Ball State University's main campus is in Muncie, about 60 miles to the northeast.

Quote:
5. Public parks and recreation programs
The public parks system for the city is called IndyParks. They do an excellent job in my opinion, especially with maintaining parks in the less desirable areas of the city. One of my favorite parks is Sahm Park, on the northeast side...they have an 18-hole golf course that only costs about $25 with a cart, a driving range, a Frisbee golf course, and a public pool. Brookside Park, on the near east side, is in one of the shadiest parts of the city, but they have a Frisbee golf course and take really good care of the grounds. MLK Park on the near north side beautiful, and offers an awesome view of the skyline. Highland Park, on the near east side, also offers an awesome view. Broad Ripple park is nice also, and is one of several bark parks around the city. The Indianapolis Art Museum has a botanical garden on its grounds that is stunningly pretty.

In the downtown area, there are several "parks" that are really the grounds for the many monuments and memorials in the city center. Barack Obama spoke on the American Legion Mall when he was campaigning...I went to see him speak, and the view of 45,000 people packed onto that lawn, with the skyline in the background, was breathtaking.

White River State Park, west of downtown, is a really nice too. The Indy Zoo is part of that complex, as well as an awesome outdoor music venue (OAR played there last summer).

There are some good options in the suburbs as well. Carmel Parks are really nice; they have several mini water parks, playgrounds, etc. The Monon Trail, an old railroad that was converted into a walking/jogging/biking trail also runs through Carmel. It starts downtown and runs north through Broad Ripple and up into Carmel. It is really fun during the summer months, especially if you live close enough to ride down to Broad Ripple, walk around, eat, drink, and ride back.

Quote:
6. Commuter traffic for someone going from Carmel to Indianapolis
That's a tough question to answer because it depends on where in Carmel you're starting and where you're commuting to. The city limits end and Carmel begins at 96th Street. It is possible that your commute could be under 10 minutes if you live close to 96th Street and your office is on the north side.

On the other hand, if you live in northern Carmel and your office is downtown, you could be looking at a 45-minute commute. Carmel is not served by a freeway; you have to take either Meridian Street or Michigan Road south into the city from Carmel (those are the two busiest streets, anyway. There are several other options.), so your commute depends a lot on your circumstances.

Quote:
7. Are the people friendly like the connection to midwest people being the friendliest?
I've always thought it works like this: people in the south think people in the Midwest are jerks, and people in the Midwest think people on the coasts are jerks.

Overall, I think people in Indianapolis are friendly, but that is pretty subjective. In general, if you treat people well, they will return the favor.

Quote:
8. Do you feel safe in the suburbs, is there a lot of crime?
The suburbs are very safe. There is some crime, but in general it is property crime, not violent. Over the past six months, I can recall only four incidents: a car theft at one of the dealers in Carmel, a burglary in Noblesville, the investment banker that tried to fake his own death in Fishers, and an accidental shooting in Fishers (the wife thought her husband was a burglar and shot him by accident. When she realized who he was, she killed herself. He survived.).

Quote:
9. What is there to do?
There is lots to do. What kind of things do you enjoy? Here are some examples:

- the summer cultural festivals
- nearly all A-list concerts come here
- the state fair
- plenty of high-end shopping (downtown, the Fashion Mall, Clay Terrace)
- Sports! Two major-league sports teams (Colts football and Pacers basketball) and minor league baseball
- the Indy 500 and various other racing events
- Indy hosts plenty of other major sporting events like the Final Four and Big Ten Tournament and will be hosting the Super Bowl in 2012
- the art museums
- Mass Ave art galleries
- Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
- Symphony on the Prairie (annual outdoor symphony performance series)
- The Indianapolis Repertory Theater
- two ballet companies
- events put on by Butler's art department
- national events (like Cirque du Soleil)

Quote:
10. How are the youth sports programs (both my daughters play competitive soccer)
Excellent, especially in the suburbs. The high school sports programs at Carmel (and other township and suburban schools) are excellent as well.

Quote:
11. How is the cost of living? I am looking at spending up to $500,000 for a home in Carmel.
Indianapolis was named the most affordable major city in America by Forbes in 2007 or 2008 (I forget). You'll get a straight-up mansion for $500k.

Quote:
12. Is the weather really awful?
It's the Midwest...if you don't like the weather, just wait

It's nasty and snowy right now, so I'll try not to be biased. You definitely get four seasons; spring and fall are awesome. Summer is fine, especially in the beginning. August and the beginning of September are usually pretty hot, but you'll likely be OK coming from the south. Winter is nice during November and December because it's the holiday season and most people like to have winter weather during that time. January through March are miserable unless you're a winter weather lover. I've concluded that there are very few places where the average person won't have to be miserable about three months per year (either too hot, too cold, or some combination of the above).

Quote:
13. How's the shopping? Do I have to go into the city or are the suburban malls new and nice?
The shopping is decent. You can get all the latest fashions, either in the city or in the suburbs. Clay Terrace Mall, in Carmel, and the Keystone Fashion Mall on the far north side, are the highest-end malls. Clay Terrace was built in the 2000s; the Fashion Mall is a little older but is very well maintained and was recently remodeled. Both are excellent. Circle Center mall, downtown, is the another high-end option.

The only thing Indy doesn't have is individual storefronts for each designer. There are boutiques in Broad Ripple and on Mass Ave, but I don't know anything about them. I'd have to ask my wife LOL.

Quote:
14. Is there anything beautiful about the area?
Geographically speaking, Indianapolis is fairly vanilla. It is very flat and (obviously) there is no coastline. Southern Indiana has rolling hills that are beautiful in the spring and fall, and there are some state parks and Hoosier National Forest that are all within day-trip distance.

As far as urban beauty, I like downtown a lot, but it's architecture is sub-par compared to older cities. You can find beauty in everything, though, and I think if you come with an open mind, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I hope this is helpful...feel free to PM me if you need more info. Welcome to Indy.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM

212 posts, read 615,510 times
^^^ Wow Dave. I'm impressed. I love Indy. Been here since 1993. Born and raised in the Chicago area. I don't really miss it. When I was in the Air Force I lived in Omaha for 6 years. I would compare the small town feel and friendliness of Indianapolis to Omaha.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM

245 posts, read 683,075 times
Thanks! I've been here since 1994, so I know the place pretty well

I agree that Indy is generally friendly, but I've never gotten a small-town vibe. Then again, I seek big-city amenities and experiences, so I'm not the right guy to ask for small-town stuff. To each his own, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis