Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Don't you mean, "been snooping"?

Rave, the thing about online forums is that everyone has a distinctive posting style. Some members are very keen and can pick up on these things right away, while others are less perceptive and take a little longer to process things.

In your case, it was quite clear from the beginning. I see that you've toned it down slightly, and that's always much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Killings and crime isn't a "crazy" problem, it is almost always a culture problem.
I don't disagree.

However, you seem to be making an insinuation rather than actually coming forth with your thoughts. If you have something to say, don't beat around the bush by implying. Just come out and say it.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Watch your p's & q's this time.
What does this mean? No one is allow to voice anything but pro-urban, left leaning ideals?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I don't disagree.

However, you seem to be making an insinuation rather than actually coming forth with your thoughts. If you have something to say, don't beat around the bush by implying. Just come out and say it.
The only thing I'm insinuating is that if you have a group of humans, and they fancy themselves on making money via illegal means (selling drugs, kidnapping, robberies, selling guns, prostitution, etc), then you will have problems. If you have a population, and that population flocks to the ideas espoused in rap songs (loose sex with many women, carrying guns, engaging in "hood battles" like northside, southside, etc.) then you will have high crime. If you have a population that flocks to the ideas of treating people nice, that a two parent family is likely a good way to raise children, that difference can be solved without seeing who can pull the trigger on their gun first, then you will likely have lower crime.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
The only thing I'm insinuating is that if you have a group of humans, and they fancy themselves on making money via illegal means (selling drugs, kidnapping, robberies, selling guns, prostitution, etc), then you will have problems. If you have a population, and that population flocks to the ideas espoused in rap songs (loose sex with many women, carrying guns, engaging in "hood battles" like northside, southside, etc.) then you will have high crime. If you have a population that flocks to the ideas of treating people nice, that a two parent family is likely a good way to raise children, that difference can be solved without seeing who can pull the trigger on their gun first, then you will likely have lower crime.
Right--but who is this "group of humans" you're referring to? Is there something they have in common? Which demographic would your description adequately represent?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Right--but who is this "group of humans" you're referring to? Is there something they have in common? Which demographic would your description adequately represent?
There is no certain group of humans who engage in these behaviors. Look at human history: Many groups of people, from different races, religions, etc., have either done good things, or done some really awful things. If your goal is less crime, then move to areas where people are supportive of ideals which usually bring about peace and harmony, instead of gunfire and violence.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
There is no certain group of humans who engage in these behaviors.
Yeah. But earlier, you said
Quote:
If everything else stayed the say in terms of demographics, economic opportunity, etc., I doubt Boise, ID, Billings, MT, or Cheyenne, WY would match Chicago in homicides just because they go from 50K-200K to 2.8M people.
Now what would compel someone to write such a thing?

Valid or not, there is only one reason why someone would write that. It is apparent to me and everyone else who comes across your posts that you obviously have issues with certain demographics, namely African Americans. Come on, Rave. Everyone can see what you were attempting to imply.

Whether you personally admit it or not, it's right there, conspicuous as can be.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah. But earlier, you said

Now what would compel someone to write such a thing?

Valid or not, there is only one reason why someone would write that. It is apparent to me and everyone else who comes across your posts that you obviously have issues with certain demographics, namely African Americans. Come on, Rave. Everyone can see what you were attempting to imply.

Whether you personally admit it or not, it's right there, conspicuous as can be.
Give me a break. Are you saying that anywhere blacks are, there can never been crime stats like we see in Boise, ID, Billings, MT, Rapid City, SD, or Cheyenne, WY? I can't explain why the stats are what they are. In cities with a decent % of pro-cradle to the grave welfare, pro-lets all carry guns and use them to settle petty disputes, pro-dealing drugs is OK, pro-spending $4,000 on car wheels is awesome, pro-high school girls having kids, pro-single mother homes, etc., you are going to have issues. It doesn't matter the race, religion, ethnic background, it matters the individual. If wanting to move to an area of the country where there is less crime makes one a racist, wow, how low we have sunk as a country. Europe, a mostly "white" continent, will likely be the scene of yet another all encompassing war. I don't agree with the way the people there believe, at least the majority, hence I would never, ever move to Europe. Europe is the site of two world wars, and current some riots here and there. So if a black person from the US decides not to move to Europe due to the recent uptick in civil unrest, are they racist?

And in fact, behavior of individuals is something that will play a role on if this mass transportation project is successful or not. Indy doesn't have the density to support this, but it might get built anyway. That means that people won't be forced upon it, and if trash are allowed to turn these trains and buses into their own playgrounds, complete with fights, getting in people's faces, etc., it will fail because people won't want to ride. Amos Brown even called out the fact that the very first, original conceptual map that was printed in the paper has only four or five stops: Two or three in Fishers, then two in N. Marion County, then downtown. In fact, there were no stops proposed between downtown and 71st Street. Now, I wonder why that was?

If even a small % of thugs, punks, weirdos, and freaks ride this thing, others will avoid it like the plague.

3 Seattle Bus Tunnel Guards Watch Brutal Beating - ABC News

Witness: Oakland Bus Fight Racially Tinged - CBS News

Seattle Bus Video Shows Attack on Passenger - ABC News

Pregnant Teen Attacked on Packed Seattle Bus - ABC News

Bus fight caught on tape - ABC News

The above are examples why some folks don't care for mass transit. These are only the incidents which we are lucky enough to hear about. Who knows how many more go unreported on a daily basis?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
The above are examples why some folks don't care for mass transit. These are only the incidents which we are lucky enough to hear about. Who knows how many more go unreported on a daily basis?
What really goes unreported are the millions upon millions of people who use mass transit daily in this country, yet they never see or experience crime.

Nice to have ya back, Rave.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Well, from Rave's list ... I don't want to use mass transit IN SEATTLE!!!! But wait, I did ... it was nice!

Stop being racist Rave. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis