Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,262 times

Advertisements

We've been looking into relocating to Indianapolis, and we'd appreciate any input on good areas with a short drive to the airport. Our priorities are the schools and a family friendly atmosphere. We are planning a trip there within the next couple of weeks and any help we could get narrowing down the areas to look at would be great Also any info anyone has on tornados/mosquitos/taxes/insurance or anything we should be concerned about would be very helpful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,261 times
Default Chris and Becky

Greetings from Speedway, Indiana. I'm not a realtor, just a resident. Speedway is it's own little town, located within Indianapolis. We are approximately fifteen minutes away from the Indianapolis International Airport. Our population is around 14,000 to 16,000. We have great schools (four elementary, one jr. high and one high school). The children in this area walk to school or parents take them. The median house price is around $110,000 to $120,000, some more, some less, depending on the 'bells and whistles'. Due to the location of several corporations in our town, our property taxes are very reasonable. We do have tornado warnings every so often, and most people head for the basement or a room in the center of the house, on the first floor. Mosquitos can be annoying at times, depending on how much foliage you have around your home.

There are several growing communities west of Indianapolis, Avon and Brownsburg, but they have much higher property taxes. Depending on your financial situation, you may just want to check out all three communities and weigh your options. The only real drawback to Speedway is we have no actual 'new' homes. Speedway is landlocked and just doesn't have the space to keep up with today's newer and bigger homes. OH, and one other thing, three times a year, thousands of people crowd our streets and community. Basically though, the race crowd gets in and then gets out. Most of us know to just plan on staying home race days.

It's a pretty good community where neighbors still helps neighbors, many residences are third or fourth generation Speedway people, and we have access to all that a big city like Indianapolis offers only minutes away, but still able to live in a small community. Best of luck with your search!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:02 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,989 times
The expansion on the west side has made it a traffic nightmare. We have always been partial to the south side. Decatur or Perry Townships. If you'll drive a little bit further a good area to look at is the Center Grove area of Johnson County. It is a bit more upscale. If you are on a tighter budget the Heartland Crossing area on Hwy 67 south of the airport is growing.
If you are looking to buy in the "vinyl cities" as some people refer to them take a look at buying a forclosure.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,260 times
Default Plainfield IN

We moved to the Indianapolis area from Chicago about 12 years ago and having the airport close by was one of our main criteria since my husband was an air traffic controller. We live in Plainfield which is just west of the airport. It takes us 20 minutes to get to the airport, park and be inside the terminal. This is certainly handy when picking up people! School reports were just posted and all our schools got excellent ratings. There is plenty to do here in town, from club sports to church to the new aquatic center for the whole family. Meanwhile, since my house is just off I-70, I can be downtown in less than half an hour too. We are moving soon to a little farm place just west of Planfield near Monrovia now that our kids are out of school but we will still be close to I-70 which is convenient and still only a half an hour from downtown or the airport. Avon and Brownsburg are also nice towns but are growing at a really fast pace. I'd suggest checking any of these towns out but my family has had a great experience in Plainfield.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM

118 posts, read 444,912 times
Go to Carmel area or Fishers AWESOME areas and housing in all price ranges

Old 05-20-2008, 11:22 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
I would suggest looking into Plainfield as well. We lived in Plainfield for several years- Very easy access to the airport, great schools & a great family friendly environment

Old 05-20-2008, 01:52 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Florida View Post
Go to Carmel area or Fishers AWESOME areas and housing in all price ranges
Not sure if that would qualify as a short drive to the airport......

Plainfield is a nice town. As is Speedway.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
This topic is from 2006, how did it manage to float to the top??

Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Wow, I should pay more attention to the dates

Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Wow, I should pay more attention to the dates
Yup, Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis