Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM

46 posts, read 151,397 times

Advertisements

Who things it is a good idea to bike to work?
I live in downtown area and thinking about it. However the lack of lanes, concerns about safety and the fact that I have to dress and look "professional" keep me from doing it
Has anybody tried? could you share your experience?
I would be nice if we, as a society, could be less car and house focused. That lifestyle is contributing to isolation and many social problems we currently see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
There are a lot of people who commute to downtown from Fountain Square by bike. If I had a job downtown, I would absolutely bike to my job.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
I'm a bicycle commuter, although I don't live in Indy.

I do have friends in Indy who commute from Broad Ripple to Downtown.

There's a lot to learn about commuting, too much to post here. Here are some links to get you started:

INDYCOG

League of American Bicyclists * Home

Bicycle Indiana

Central Indiana Bicycle Assn

Let me know if you have any specific questions (although if you want route suggestions you are better off asking on the CIBA forum).

Happy riding!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM

24 posts, read 85,325 times
I work downtown, live downtown, and have been biking to work year round for the past few years. I even bike one kid to school.

Lack of lanes: Not a problem. If it's a street you would choose to drive on, it's probably not a street you'd want to bike on (hint - if it has a lot of stop signs, it's ideal for biking). For example, ride on Alabama, not Delaware. I do use the bike lanes on New York and Michigan when I'm in a hurry to go between downtown and IUPUI, but a more pleasant route is IUPUI campus to White River to the canal to St. Clair.

Getting a rearview mirror can also help you feel more comfortable riding in the street. I don't feel like I need it on the side streets, but I am glad of it (dorky as it is) when I'm in the bike lanes on New York and Michigan.

Safety: I'm female, tiny, and part of the time I have a kid on a trailer behind me. So far I've had no real issues with drivers...by and large they're aware of cyclists. As for general safety, I've twice been asked for money, once had a run-in with a guy biking against traffic (had to call 911 after he threatened me), and get various comments from guys - that's pretty constant but not a real problem.

Dressing for work: It's always possible to change clothes at work. I'm fortunate to have a locker room, but my husband doesn't - he just changes in the rest room. Just get some panniers and bring your clothes in with you.

Any day is a good day to start, but if it helps to have reason, Bike to Work Day is May 21st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis