Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

Target downtown??? where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Target downtown??? where?
It was rumored to be part of the Market Square development. Of course, the old MSA site is still vacant, and the closest Target is still miles from downtown.

I won't hold my breath.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Hi All,
I would really need some advice. I was offered to relocate to a new office in Indy downtown .The problem is we have never visited!

We are from Seattle with 2 children ( 1 and 12) and have lived for the last 4 years in Montreal ( that we do not really like : rather dirty and VERY cold: -20 often in the winter with LOTS of snow and the French language is not easy.......).
I saw posts here and looked on youtube and my impression is that Indy is a very quite city ( never see people on the canal or anywhere!)
It seems very clean but again where are the people??

I was told that the Indy people are among the friendliest in the country.
We love city living so our first choice would be to live downtown. Good idea??
Are there parks, stores????
It seems that in the last 3 years the downtown area is greatly improving. Thoughts??
I know there is a wonderful childrens museum. Also we are not huge sports fans, so may I ask what is ther to do ( we LOVE long walks) on the week ends?
Schools?? I was told they are good??... Many many thanks for any info!!!

I haven't been here long enough to compare Indy today with Indy from the past decade (or so), but have heard that it has improved noticeably.

I think downtown is OK, but still somewhat bland. It's funny that you mentioned vibe in your title, b/c that's what I feel Indy is lacking. Even though you have everything here that you would anywhere else (with regard to basic shopping, dining, etc) and a downtown that is respectable, I've felt the vibe is lacking.

From my view, it's not lack of people but lack of vibe despite the people. All in all, it's not a bad place to live by any means. I've just found it lacking in energy/vibe, which is something you can't really quantify or put a finger on. I think the 'spreadoutness' contributes.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
I was in Indianapolis on business about 3 weeks ago, Carmel actually.We took Meridian all the way down to Broad Ripple, went to couple of bars right off of College Ave and 54th. I believe some dive bar and right across the street from it a Jazz place called Jazz Kitchen, maybe? Anyways the drive from Carmel in was quite beautiful, it had little bit of a North Shore Chicago feeling, tree lined streets, gorgeous old estates, I was surprised. So yeah I would say Indy has a bit of vibe.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:42 AM

268 posts, read 358,073 times
HMMM sounds like I should have gone to check out Carmel!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I was in Indianapolis on business about 3 weeks ago, Carmel actually.We took Meridian all the way down to Broad Ripple, went to couple of bars right off of College Ave and 54th. I believe some dive bar and right across the street from it a Jazz place called Jazz Kitchen, maybe? Anyways the drive from Carmel in was quite beautiful, it had little bit of a North Shore Chicago feeling, tree lined streets, gorgeous old estates, I was surprised. So yeah I would say Indy has a bit of vibe.
Sounds like you were at Moe and Johnny's. That's right across from the Jazz Kitchen. And you can definitely see some beautiful homes and architecture driving down Meridian. There are a lot of beautiful old buildings further south on Meridian as well near downtown, but unfortunately it gets really shady south of 38th street. I really hope there will be some gentrification of that area and the old north side in the coming years. It would really add to the character of the city.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Yes Moe and Johnny's. The friendly bartender said that it was voted the biggest dive bar in America

Old 04-10-2010, 03:09 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
HMMM sounds like I should have gone to check out Carmel!
I think the vibe being referred to was actually in the north side of Indianapolis. Meridian street (U.S. 31) in Carmel is just a bunch of mid-rise office buildings and hospitals. Also, I would like to say that on a Tuesday night downtown will usually appear pretty empty. It is usually more busy on Friday and Saturday nights though. Also, Circle Centre Mall is pretty big, it just might look small because they made it so that you don't necessarily know that a mall is there, it just looks like a bunch of historic buildings with stores and restaurants in them.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM

268 posts, read 358,073 times
I walked in front of circle centre mall and had NO idea that is was a mall.I just passed and missed it and ended up in Borders book that was closing (7PM). I am sure that I would have a different image on a Saturday. I did see and hear LOTS of Harleys. I am sure that there is action in other places.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Quote:
I walked in front of circle centre mall and had NO idea that is was a mall.I just passed and missed it and ended up in Borders book that was closing (7PM). I am sure that I would have a different image on a Saturday. I did see and hear LOTS of Harleys. I am sure that there is action in other places.
The mall is actually pretty good sized. It's 3 levels and spans the length of 2 full city blocks. A lot of the 'action' downtown is over on Meridian south of Monument Circle. That's where most of the downtown clubs and bars are. Of course, the weekends are when you'll have the most activity, but there are events from time to time that have larger numbers of folks out on other days too (ie the NCAA final four, regular sporting events, holiday events, conventions, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis