Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM

174 posts, read 411,932 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about moving from South Florida to Indiana for a good job opportunity. The job is in Marion, In but it appears to be a very small (country) place. So....

1. How bad is the commute if I live outside of Indianapolis?

2. What do you like/dislike about living in Indiana?

3. Would you recommend a single guy in the 20s to move there?

Any other comments will be a huge help... Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Location: Indianapolis, IN with offices throughout Central IN servicing the whole US>
40 posts, read 121,303 times
MD- You could live on the northside of Noblesville (northern suburb community of Indy) and probably have a 35-45 minute commute to Marion.
Being in the Noblesville area puts you close to Carmel and Indy both which have tons of amenities and activities.
I recommended checking out a new website put out by the city tourism department aimed at introducing people to Indianpolis, the lifestyle and the opportunities.

www.circlingthecity.com

Ann Gioe
Century 21 Realty Group

Old 03-26-2010, 02:55 PM

44 posts, read 101,172 times
1. I think agioe did a pretty good job answering this.

2. My only dislikes, after moving here from Atlanta are that I feel a little landlocked being that there really aren't any beaches within driving distances (and come on the Lake doesn't count) and the lack of a local MLB team. I guess also the lack of topography as well, but you living in Florida knows what that is like too.

As far as likes? This probably sounds mean, but I don't intend for it to. Indy is basically your average mid-sized city. I can find pretty much anything I want to do here and there are much larger cities within driving distance for a nice long weekend. The people are plenty friendly and there aren't a lot of things that **** me off like there were in the South.

3. I moved here 8 months ago. I'm 24. Male. Meeting people is difficult, while I find people here are nice, they aren't all that interested in meeting new people. This isn't really a transplant city so a lot of the people here have lived here forever and have long established friendships. Once you can start making those contacts you'll be fine. But for me that has been/still is a really long and difficult process.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM

174 posts, read 411,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemTiger0408 View Post
1. I think agioe did a pretty good job answering this.

2. My only dislikes, after moving here from Atlanta are that I feel a little landlocked being that there really aren't any beaches within driving distances (and come on the Lake doesn't count) and the lack of a local MLB team. I guess also the lack of topography as well, but you living in Florida knows what that is like too.

As far as likes? This probably sounds mean, but I don't intend for it to. Indy is basically your average mid-sized city. I can find pretty much anything I want to do here and there are much larger cities within driving distance for a nice long weekend. The people are plenty friendly and there aren't a lot of things that **** me off like there were in the South.

3. I moved here 8 months ago. I'm 24. Male. Meeting people is difficult, while I find people here are nice, they aren't all that interested in meeting new people. This isn't really a transplant city so a lot of the people here have lived here forever and have long established friendships. Once you can start making those contacts you'll be fine. But for me that has been/still is a really long and difficult process.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agioe View Post
MD- You could live on the northside of Noblesville (northern suburb community of Indy) and probably have a 35-45 minute commute to Marion.
Being in the Noblesville area puts you close to Carmel and Indy both which have tons of amenities and activities.
I recommended checking out a new website put out by the city tourism department aimed at introducing people to Indianpolis, the lifestyle and the opportunities.

www.circlingthecity.com

Ann Gioe
Century 21 Realty Group

Thank you both it really helps.... Clemtiger I was born in GA and I use to live in Atlanta also

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Judging from your screen name, which I could be wrong I apologize if I am, you are in the medical field? Don't rule out Muncie or Anderson areas to commute from also. They would be shorter commutes than Indy to Marion you could go straight up I69 from both those areas to Marion. Both those towns have smaller colleges so younger folks would be plentiful. Marion has IWU but it is a Christian college don't hear to much about where those students go for fun.

Good luck in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis