Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 PM

436 posts, read 951,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Is this a joke?

First, there is an Amtrak station downtown, plus there is a plan (although not likely to happen), to bring light rail downtown.
Call me when that happens. Both you and I know that "light rail" in Indy will consist of a line between downtown and the airport, exactly what nobody needs and a complete waste of time and money.

Quote:
Second, Circle Centre Mall is widely known as one of the most successful downtown malls in the country.
I know a couple downtown malls. Water Tower Place, Trump Tower. Trust me, kiddo, Indy doesn't come close to those. Park the pickup; rent a car, and see some of the country. you'll learn a few things.

Most cities have stores downtown, not malls. Real cities don't have the downtown space to waste on malls or football stadiums. Since nobody goes to downtown Indy, the real estate is a lot cheaper, and nobody's trying to use it for a more highly valued purpose.

If you ever decide to go to college, take an Economics class. Ask your Prof to go over this concept.

Quote:
Third, you haven't named one good thing about downtown Columbus. All you have been able to do is make up lies about downtown Indianapolis. Please tell me what is better about downtown Columbus because I am dying to know for the next time I am forced to be there?
Don't go to Columbus. You'll just be out of place in a big city.

Some cities have central urban cores: Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, NYC, etc.

Some cities don't: Indianapolis, Dayton, Grand Rapids, Toledo.

Indy doesn't even have a functional city market. There's just nothing to do downtown, and sporting events don't count. You can't put a stadium downtown and say it's a "downtown activity."

Quit cheerleading for Indy. You might convince someone to move here, and you and I both know that's not fair to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM

17 posts, read 97,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
grow up. Face facts.
Get help. Soon.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Real cities don't have the downtown space to waste on malls or football stadiums.
You are suggesting that Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Houston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Nashville, Detroit, Seattle, Denver, New Orleans, and New York City are not real cities?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
hey everyone, shall we have a donation drive to get smoking out of Indianapolis? I think he's going a bit coo coo

Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Mods, thank you.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 AM

156 posts, read 433,994 times
I don't agree with much of what "smoking" said, but he did raise an interesting point that I had not thought of. As recently as the late 80s, we had decent shopping downtown. Those old department stores like Blocks and Ayres had a lot of character that I miss from today's bland malls. I used to go shopping downtown a few times per year back then. I think I've been to Circle Center maybe 3 or 4 times since it's been open.

With the exception of the Speedway, I think Indy and Columbus are about equal. We have the Colts and Pacers. They have Ohio State football and the Blue Jackets.

Population rank is nearly identical (Columbus ranked 32nd with 1.8 million, Indy ranked 34th with 1.74 million).

I've always thought of Columbus as a twin sister to Indy since they are so similar.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:49 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I've never been a big Columbus, OH cheerleader and I agree that downtown is pretty dull, but it does have many more neighborhoods close to the city center that are far nicer than those surrounding downtown Indy such as German Village, Victorian Village, Bexley, Upper Arlington, and Grandview. Columbus also has the Short North, which is similar to Indy's Mass Ave.

Keep in mind that half of those "neighborhoods" you listed are actually suburbs, with a separate mayor, school district, etc. Bexley, Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are suburbs.

That isn't to say they aren't nice, but they are definitely not part of Columbus.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Since when is Grand Rapids dull??

Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
"Your town SUCKS and you should grow up"
"No way, my town embarrasses your town"
"Psh, if you can't see how cool my town is you must not get out very much"
"Well, the lack of trains in your town clearly indicates no one likes to go there and the idea of an urban core is stupid, but my town's is still better just for the record"

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry, I guess I'm just not in the mood this morning. If anyone wants to continue this pointless subjective banter, may I suggest moving it to the Columbus vs. Indy thread?
I agree....and by the way, "My dad can beat up your dad!" *

*actually he can't due to his advance age and many health issues, but you see where I am going with this.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:02 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Keep in mind that half of those "neighborhoods" you listed are actually suburbs, with a separate mayor, school district, etc. Bexley, Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are suburbs.

That isn't to say they aren't nice, but they are definitely not part of Columbus.
Yes, this is true. But German Village, Victorian Village, and the short north are still all definitely nice parts of Columbus near downtown. And when I talk about 'Columbus', I think these other suburbs deserve to be included in the same conversation. Although they were never technically annexed, they're all part of the metro.

Broad Ripple and Irvington were once technically their own separate suburbs/villages at one point as well, but even if they were never annexed, I would think people would still refer to those areas as part of 'Indianapolis'. Same goes for the community of Crow's Nest up near Meridian and Kessler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis