Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 PM

8 posts, read 28,744 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is Denise, I live in NJ w/ DH and 2 kids Ashley 18 and Jeremy 7... My sis has moved out to Clermont w/ her DH and 2 kids...
Visiting in December my DH and I really liked it and have decided to relocate.. We will be heading out in July amd I will seek employment and register my son to a Brownsburg District school.. My niece attends Reagan Elementary but looking over test scores and other factors Im leaning towards: Eagle Elementary, Delaware Trail and White Lick... Please any advice will surley help... We will 1st rent an apt and then purchase a home.. My sis purchased from Beazer @ the Williamsburg Village homes..
Nice community but we want to explore other neigborhoods as well as other sub-divisions besides those... Our budget for a home is in the $150,000 range but we r not ready just yet... I have received a called from Clarion Health but had to turn it down because I was still employed and my actual last day of employment is tomorrow... But its ok! I know a new fresh start is long over due for both my family and I... I also checked out Eagle Creek Assembley of God Church... Any advice will be of Great help...

Blessings
Denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM

88 posts, read 273,622 times
Hey, whaddaya know? I live in Clermont. Brownsburg is a cute town that is growing rapidly. The school district is pretty good too. By Indianapolis standards it is a small school - Indy tends to have alot of huge schools. (IE) Ben Davis High School near me has more students than most colleges.

I've lived on the West Side of Indianapolis for 8 years now. It was very underdeveloped when I moved here. Now almost every major retailer, restaurant, and auto dealership is in the immediate area.

Brownsburg still has a small town feel to it. If you go a couple miles south you can live in Avon which is more like suburbia.

One potential negative is the fact that there is Raceway Park nearby. Throughout the summer months you can hear the engines of the cars reving around the track. It doesn't bother me at all but some people dont like it.

All in all you will find home prices and taxes to be a massive cost savings over New Jersey.

Happy hunting.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Hi!~ How are you?.. Nice to meet you...Im truly torn between Avon and Brownsburg!Schools are great in both districts but I have realized apt rentals are very limited.. They are both very family- friendly neighborhoods and the all around ethnicity backrounds are awesome in both towns too.Both DH and I are Hispanic/Black all in all Im sure and hope we will feel comfortable... coming from NJ/NY diversity is all you see so we pray for the best in our new start in Indy..Thanks for your tips hope you can continue to be available for more advice!BlessingsDenise

Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 AM

74 posts, read 170,612 times
I just moved from Brownsburg in December and I miss it. I met many wonderful and friendly people there, unfortunately I lost my job and spent 4 months looking for work and couldn't find anything but low paying temp positions, not enough to support myself.

I think that you will love Brownsburg, nice small town feel and close enough to shopping and entertainment but not close enough to get away from all the crowds. The schools are very good and a neighbor has a son attending Delaware Elem. and he does quite well, small classes and good teachers. The only drawback I found was a lack of good places to eat.

Take your time find a house to buy, with your budget you will find many good choices, I would rent for a year and then make purchase in a area that you have checked out. You will have your choice between a nice safe neighborhood and a very safe beautiful neighborhood, I only found one bad area there and even then most people would find it a nice area. Good Luck in your move, I really envy you in being able to live there.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:44 AM

14 posts, read 55,222 times
Hi Denise,

Congratulations on your move to this area. I think you will find the Brownsburg / Avon area a great place to live. I’ve lived all around the Indy area and settled in Avon over 12 years ago. The area has developed a lot in that time and more stores and restaurants are opening all the time. As others noted both school systems are great so either choice would be a good one.

As you mentioned about apartments in the area I think you will also find some good rental homes if you do some research. But in general home prices are much lower here than what you would see back in NJ so more people here own rather than rent. It will be easy to find something in the price range you mentioned.

As pjstroh mentioned there is the raceway that is on the far east side of Brownsburg but that is only really busy during the summer. In Avon you have the train yard and further to the south you have the airport, so there is some “city noise” around but not really that much you hear over most of the area.

Be sure and let us know if you have any other questions on the area. We certainly love it here.

Dennis Derrick

Old 06-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Thank you all... we should be heading out in 2wks.. Extremely anxious and praying for the best... I will definitely keep ou guys posted!

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis