Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM

229 posts, read 879,090 times

Advertisements

OK, besides this site I belong to a site that deals with amusement parks. The other day on their board I had posted a message about how bad my time was at Six Flags America ( rude employees, high prices, etc...).

The next day I had received a message from their moderator saying that I was "banned for 2 months" and that my message was deleted because "....sorry but we don't want to get sued by Six Flags for slander and I am sure you don't want too either..."

OK according to this person if I say that Six Flags "sucks"..then Six Flags would sue the site, and me for slander. That is almost as funny as my co-worker was banned from one site because, well this quote got her banned ".....I stopped watching FOX sometime ago because their shows are trash"...the webmaster was so scared that FOX would sue over that comment that she was banned "for life".

Should people who run websites/boards know at least some basic legal 101 such as when free speech ends and when slander/libel begins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Yes that would be nice.

But this is today's America, Land of the Offended. Tragically, the crybabies and hypersensitive PC nazis rule the day, and perhaps even worse, a large % of the country run like scared rabbits in their wake. Admittedly this is thanks in part to our brilliant legal system, but often that's a weak excuse. God forbid someone should criticize anything any more, or be permitted to. No, to heck with free speech and speaking your mind. These people would rather we all turn into blind, mindless Barney the Dinosaurs, with an insipid smile on our face, always saying everything is golly gee whiz wonderful.

:vomit:

[Mod edited]

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 06-24-2010 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: No discussion of forum moderation on the forum per TOS

Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Maybe Six Flags is an advertiser on that other board?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Yes, they should seek professional advice...

I used to run what was referred to as a "hate" site (it wasn't really, but that's how it was characterized) about a certain national retail chain. During that time, I was involved in two different lawsuits with that company, neither of which had anything to do with anything anybody wrote in the forums, and some pretty nasty stuff was said.

Amusing side note - their attorneys wrote something disparaging about my attorneys in the forum once, and had to issue a public apology for it, which I kept up on the site until I closed it down.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
OK, besides this site I belong to a site that deals with amusement parks. The other day on their board I had posted a message about how bad my time was at Six Flags America ( rude employees, high prices, etc...).

The next day I had received a message from their moderator saying that I was "banned for 2 months" and that my message was deleted because "....sorry but we don't want to get sued by Six Flags for slander and I am sure you don't want too either..."

OK according to this person if I say that Six Flags "sucks"..then Six Flags would sue the site, and me for slander. That is almost as funny as my co-worker was banned from one site because, well this quote got her banned ".....I stopped watching FOX sometime ago because their shows are trash"...the webmaster was so scared that FOX would sue over that comment that she was banned "for life".

Should people who run websites/boards know at least some basic legal 101 such as when free speech ends and when slander/libel begins?
Free speech is protected in the public domain. The internet and all the forums on the net are NOT legally public domain.

So no, you can't say anything you want on the net or it's forums.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post

Most people who run websites and or discussion boards have neither the time nor money to fight any legal challenge so their solution is to be as safe as possible.

In addition, as someone else pointed out, these boards are not public domain. Someone is paying for you to have a place to share your ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc. As such, they have every right to ban someone for whatever amount of time they think is appropriate or just block them completely.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

229 posts, read 879,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Most people who run websites and or discussion boards have neither the time nor money to fight any legal challenge so their solution is to be as safe as possible.
Maybe so but say for example someone has a website about celebrities and a poster says online that "Larry The Cable Guy is an unfunny guy whose acting stinks". If the webmaster is so worried because he/she has this "idea" that Larry The Cable Guy would go as far as contacting his lawyers and try to sue over the post by claiming "libel"..well maybe it would be for the best that such people shouldn't have internet websites in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet