Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If true, that is bad web design, but some of that is the behavior of the browser. Afaik Mozilla does not let that happen for example, but I have seen sites that do that before - it can render the entire site unusable when, for instance, you need to click a form button and you can't actually see it because of text size.
I use Mozilla almost exclusively. I don't even know how to zoom text only in IE. It is just how YouTube is designed - it doesn't have the problem when text only is not toggled, but then it increases all items and requires a lot of side scrolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
If you're starting from scratch, you should really go for a fluid layout, and avoid using tables for its definition. Familiarize yourself with CSS and the <div> tag. Alternately, you could use something like Artisteer (a great product - well worth the money IMO*) to generate the code for you.

* I don't have any affiliation with this product or company other than being a satisfied customer.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When I created mine I wrote code to adjust the width to the screen size of the user. Keep in mind this was written a long time ago and may not be what most would use now. The site still adjusts to screen with so it does work. This code adjusts the graphic for the header, which I created in multiple sizes...
Does this code also keep font size constant?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you're starting from scratch, you should really go for a fluid layout, and avoid using tables for its definition. Familiarize yourself with CSS and the <div> tag. Alternately, you could use something like Artisteer (a great product - well worth the money IMO*) to generate the code for you.

* I don't have any affiliation with this product or company other than being a satisfied customer.
Interesting site and software. Thanks.

Here's the thing.
I am scouting about for someone LOCAL to tweak or redesign my site and trying to arrive at some parameters of design to propose. I want to be involved to the extent that the final result is not a huge shock.
But, I know I don't have the time, or the skill at this time, to focus on creating it myself. Heck, it takes me about two hours to put together simple code for a Craigslist ad.
And, the site must work right when it goes live.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
You have to account for scollbars and some other things, I use 980.

You can create dynamic font sizes but it requires JS. In your stylesheet use a reasonable base font size in the body tag. Then use em for the rest of the sizes. From there you can use some JS for a font button for loading a small stylesheet that will dynamically adjust fonts.

Example here on phpbb, click the "A" below the search box on the right.

Area51 @ phpBB.com &bull; Index page

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Does this code also keep font size constant?
No, but most users (I hope) know how to increse the font size with the keyboard or mouse.

The site has been shut down since I've retired so i no longer have to be concerned with the maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet