Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,922,491 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden, since about 2 days ago, I cannot access google maps. I get a pop up with no information other than "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site Google Maps. Operation aborted."

Anyone else having problems? or is it just my computer? I've gone so far as dumping my temp files including all the cookies, but no difference. The only thing I can think of is that my version of IE is too old (version 6), but when that is the conflict with a website, I always get a message telling me IE6 won't work. Not so with google maps.

Is upgrading IE or using FireFox the only solution? Believe me, I've already thought about that, but there's a rather lengthy reason why I've not done either of those solutions.

By the way, MapQuest works fine, so that's what I've been now using. But I prefer the layout of google maps.

So, anyone else having issues with google maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,122,263 times
I just did a Google search on "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site Google Maps". There were numerous results returned on your problem. Suggest you search and take a look at some of the solutions because there didn't seem to be one single solution.

Am using a Mac, no problems with Chrome or Firefox.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM

61,173 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Mine works fine too...

Oooops... I take it back. It works fine on Chrome ( checked first) but IE gives me the error message. So is more like problem with IE, not google maps.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,777,101 times
No probs with Firefox 3.6.11 or IE 8.0.6001.18702

Old 10-23-2010, 06:28 AM

Does anyone know if google maps has any Adobe elements?

While trying to diagnose my problem, I found that a couple of Flashplayer and Shockwave files were damaged. Fixed those, and although another of my computer issues was resolved, the google maps problem wasn't.

But I still have a broken Adobe GetPlusPlus. Twice I've tried to remove it, but it keeps coming back and comes back incomplete. (I have to do the removal manually because it doesn't show up on the program list in Add/Remove Programs. I've deleted every piece of it I can find, including in prefetch, and going through all the steps as if I was removing a virus. But the dang thing comes back, so I'm guessing it is hiding elsewhere as something else, perhaps in the registry?)

However, I just don't think that GetPlusPlus has anything to do with google maps.

I did upgrade to IE8. That eliminated the "operation aborted" and I could use google maps. BUT a new set of problems came up. My home address, the default, was not recognized as valid anymore. As well, any change to my search preferences constantly defaulted. I personally don't like the drop down list of suggestions when typing into the search box, but with IE8 I can't change that. No matter what I do in setting search preferences, google ignores my preferences.

plwhit -- like you, I also scoured the 'net looking for ideas. One thing that did pop up was that google had changed some coding, placing scripts elsewhere in the "line". So, now I'm wondering if I have a scripting issue with my computer (running XP SP2) and somehow that's contributing to my woes.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:30 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
I've had problems with Google Maps in Firefox. In fact, Firefox even shows a message something like "Trouble viewing maps, click here" then you got to do some reconfiguration which doesn't always work. I have a funny feeling it may have something to do with Adobe like mentioned in the post above. It only failed on one or two of my computers so it may be some funky configuration problem.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times
This is from a blog I found and is directed towards Firefox, but I thought the info in step 2 might be of help.

Adobe Flash and ‘GetPlusPlus’ Bypass « Seasonal Madness

"Uninstall/Removal of the ****ware if its already infected your computer:
1 – Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the ‘Mozilla GetPlusPlus’ plugin there.
2 – Once this is complete, do a ‘Find File’ search for the file named ‘np_gp.dll’ and delete it if you find it. Sometimes an ‘uninstall’ doesn’t really do its job.
"

I found another site that states Adobe Download Manager in Add/Remove Programs is actually the GetPlusPlus program and is the one you need to remove.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times
Again for Firefox, but you never know...

"OK I found out this is the file responsible for “getPlusPlus for Adobe 16244″ appearing on Firefox Plugin list.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np_gp.dll
To remove it, I first closed the browser then, moved all the DLL files in “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\” to a temporary folder on my desktop, restarted Firefox and the plug in is gone. Checking the properties of np_gp.dll tells me
File desciption: getplusplusadobe16244
Type: Application Extension
File version: 1.6.2.44
Product name: getPlusPlus for Adobe 16244
Product version: 1.6.2.44
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2009
Size: 30.1 KB
Date modified: 9/3/2009 10/53 AM
Language: English (United States)"

Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 AM

Thanks Tek_Freek and everyone for the info about GetPlusPlus. I think I've eradicated my machine of this, frankly described, piece of spy-,bloat-,crap-ware.

However, my issue with google maps still exists {sigh}.

I guess I'll chalk it up to one of life's frustrations that just needs to be lived with and learn to be satisfied with using MapQuest instead.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 AM

Default Google Maps problem fixed (or at least worked around)

Although I previously posted I'd learn to live with the problem and be satisfied with MapQuest, that's not part of my personality :-)

Scoured the 'net some more, using the actual error message in quotes, and came up with the "fix".

All I had to do was click Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced, and then clear the Show Friendly HTML Error Messages. What happens is I still get the error message, but I can click it off and it does not crash the site. I can use google maps.

As a side note, oddly enough my address now shows up in the right place. Before now, my house number showed up as being located about 1/4 mile down the street. Weird.

Here's a couple of sites regarding the google maps problem -- appears a number of others are having the same issue:

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site htt://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wi. - Maps Help

google maps not working at the moment, is anyone else having a problem - Maps Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet