Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,933,239 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about using a program to hide and/or change my IP address, but in reading all these disclaimers about disabling this, that, and the other, I'm kind of leery. Has anybody ever done this? Does it work? I don't want to post the name(s) of the programs here, but you can PM me if it's not kosher to talk about this stuff on C-D.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,570,076 times
You don't need a program. Run your surfing habits through anonymizer.com and it will accomplish the same thing.

The problem with most of these software apps is that they rely on proxy servers that they have set up throughout the world; this is how they "mask" your IP. You're actually connecting to that server, and that server transparently connects you the rest of the way, which is how they fool whatever host on the other end you're communicating with. This is why they make you disable "this or that", as you put it. Because your browsing habits are no longer being funneled through standard DNS avenues as is the default, but rather through these servers.

Sounds fine, right? Here's the problem: Most of these servers have IP addresses that have already been blacklisted by a ton of sites, because this type of usage is real popular with spammers, script kiddies, etc., so it's just good business to block access to those servers as a whole, even if it means a couple of innocent people get caught in the net and can't get access to your site or service.

Anonymizer isn't really any different, but because the user interface is unwieldy and not accommodating to people looking to do things on a massive scale, naer-do-well types typically don't use it.

Another problem with these software applications is this:

1) Since you're actually routing through these servers, they can effectively monitor where you're going and
2) If you do online banking or purchase something online while spoofing your IP address....where does the credit card information or password get transmitted? That's right - from your computer to the proxy server and THEN out to the end host. So in effect, you're entrusting all your sensitive information to the company running the proxy host. Do you trust the company? I know I never do...

It wasn't a stupid question, it's just that most people don't understand the ramifications of utilizing tools such as these. They have their place in the world (I myself have to use them periodically for penetration testing and other security related activities), but for the vast majority of people they are not an ideal thing to have.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,973,640 times
It will slow down your connection everywhere you use it.

If you think of a connection to a web site as a long-distance phone call, going through a proxy server can be like routing a call from Chicago to New York through Los Angeles. Every bit of data that goes between you and the web site has to travel farther if there's a proxy in the middle.

And when the proxy server is overloaded, using a proxy can be like making part of that side trip through Los Angeles on city streets, rather than fast freeways.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks, you guys. I'm checking into this stuff. I have an emergency need to be anonymous.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,570,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Thanks, you guys. I'm checking into this stuff. I have an emergency need to be anonymous.
Have you considered the local library?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Have you considered the local library?
Yes, but I don't have the time to be over there all the time. I went ahead and downloaded something for the free trial period to see how it works out for me, if I like it, etc. So far, so good, but like you guys said - it has slowed down my computer. But, only on the browser I am using the program with. I can click out of all that stuff and use the other browser for my usual stuff and it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet