U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 PM

14,218 posts, read 27,683,045 times

Advertisements

Do you have it? Is it worth it?

I'm thinking about getting it because I need a tv anyway. Should I spend the extra dollars? What do you watch?

I've been to hulu and of course, utube. Most of what I've seen are only clips or excerpts, not many shows available. I did watch Supersize Me.

I know I need a new tv and I wanted Sony anyway. And a blueray/DVD player.

So should I just do the whole thing? I can't do wireless but I do have a LAN in my house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,215,145 times
i was looking at the Roku tv box for useing with the internet tv set up..

the nice thing is that you do not need a computer system to go through first you can run it saight from the cable modem to the tv unit and use the netflix and hulu and hulu plus and other tv channels on demand ..

Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

31,304 posts, read 30,373,171 times
I have a dish tv and enjoy it for the most part, however there are only a few channels that I truly enjoy and watch. From what I find, I can’t get those same programs via the internet only source. I’ve checked huhu but they don’t have much that I want to view, I guess I should check it again and see if there’s something new that has been added.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 PM

33,212 posts, read 54,481,999 times
We watch 'tv' using Netflix and Hulu.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 PM

14,218 posts, read 27,683,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We watch 'tv' using Netflix and Hulu.
Just through the computer or do you have a set and a blueray player?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

33,212 posts, read 54,481,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just through the computer or do you have a set and a blueray player?
We recently 'upgraded' from desktop PCs to netbooks [with our larger monitors / keyboard / mouse plugged in].

Works fine

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,592,442 times
I'm getting a Roku HD soon. I want more choices other than HBO and having to wait to receive a disk in the mail. I want to watch as many movies in a day or week as I choose and watch them on my TV not my computer. This is why I am going to try the Roku HD. The Roku must be wireless and you need Internet (LAN) access which would be through the computer. I'll let you know how it works when I finally figure out how to set it up. Suppose to be easy but I doubt it really is.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 12-01-2010 at 06:53 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,225,612 times
All of my new Samsung LED's are internet ready. However, I use the RJ-45 connectors in them to hook them into my network for purposes other than their internet TV features. I still prefer the method of having them link up to a central server and my SAN so I can access all my media files at any time. I still get all the functionality of the internet etc. through this setup, as well.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Do you have it? Is it worth it?
My wife and I *LOVE* watching streaming Netflix shows through our XBox 360, and I'm considering getting a Roku for downstairs. I have two friends with Roku boxes ... from what I've seen the picture is quite good, and neither one of them are very technical so the setup is probably easy. Not that I care. But others might.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,225,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My wife and I *LOVE* watching streaming Netflix shows through our XBox 360, and I'm considering getting a Roku for downstairs. I have two friends with Roku boxes ... from what I've seen the picture is quite good, and neither one of them are very technical so the setup is probably easy. Not that I care. But others might.
The picture is "acceptable". This is true of any streaming of Netflix, because it uses the exact same encoding no matter which avenue you choose (Internet TV, TiVO, X360, PS3, Wii, Roku). Your streaming resolution is not HD, which is why it's still a good idea to queue up Blu-Rays for the movies that are visually stunning you wanna see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet