U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,761,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can do that pretty easily. The trick would be doing it accurately on the fly. Not going to research how exactly but the biggest issue I could see is getting accurate sampling since you need a fairly large file to do that. The best way to handle this if you're the website owner is allowing the user to pick what they want but that introduces problems itself because you would need them to load at least one page and make a selection. It's fairly easy to manipulate pages if you know what you need to serve.

There's various ways to test for different things, many of them rely on javascript though. You do send a user agent with every request for every page that includes OS, that would be one metric:

Whats My User Agent?

There are websites that will serve specific code based on the browser you are using because of incompatibilities amongst browsers, this is all done server side but they already know what browser you are using before the page is sent.
Gee ~duh~ not all browsers are treated the same by websites? Is that why someone wrote IE Tab for FF???? and someone else wrote an Agent Switcher for FF??

Thank you, I understand User Agents but we are talking about hardware connection speeds which tend to vary. I didn't know the browser would interrogate the NIC to see what speed it was running at, must be a neat trick. Which browser does it please?

Where in the header does it indicate the actual connection speed?

HTTP_CONNECTION:keep-alive
HTTP_KEEP_ALIVE:115
HTTP_ACCEPT:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET:ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:gzip,deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-us,en;q=0.5
HTTP_HOST:whatsmyuseragent.com
HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13

If it's so easy for a web site to retrieve your connection speed why do some ask what type of connection you have before starting a download?

Last edited by plwhit; 12-24-2010 at 02:41 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My satellite connection has been down for a few days, and I've been limping along with a 26 kbps dial-up connection (all that is available otherwise). I am amazed at just how pervasive bloat has become over the past couple of years.

As an example, BBC news had a story I was interested in. After waiting and waiting for it to load, I finally had to stop the load, look at the source code for the page, and retrieve the one paragraph of information that I wanted to read. In the old days, that would have been available in two seconds at the longest.

Flash games? LOL! Nope. Repeated attempts to load time out.

Then there is a tv station that wants to download an off-brand adware video viewer so I can see their broadcasts online.

The internet is destroying itself, one sucky webmaster at a time.
Couldn't you say the same thing when it concerns cars? They contain loads of "stuff" I don't need or want but technology has moved on and either I buy the car or go buy a different car somewhere else....

A web site is very slow? back to Google search and find another web site with better performance.. You could install Flash blockers, Ad blockers, you could add the names of the referred ad sites to your etc/hosts file and assign the IP address of 127.0.0.1 to them all... THAT will cut down on waiting/loading time...

Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 AM

41,823 posts, read 46,280,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Thank you, I understand User Agents but we are talking about the hardware layer and connection speeds..... Where in the header does it indicate the actual connection speed?
It doesn't.

Quote:
If it's so easy for a web site to retrieve your connection speed
As I said the trick is doing it accurately on the fly, preferably seamlessly. You have sites that will test your connection speed but the faster your connection the larger the file they use to sample the speed. You need a pretty big file to accurately sample the speed which is issue itself.

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Quote:
why do some ask what type of connection you have before starting a download?
I don't recall seeing a lot of this but my guess would be you see it a lot on audio or video files for download? For those types of files you can adjust the bitrate and serve lower quality files. For example this is 20kbps audio file that will stream even on dial up:

http://www.40lbhead.com/headradio/wma/no_friends.wma

Regular 320kbps which would require at least DSL:

http://www.40lbhead.com/misc/audio/h...no_friends.mp3

Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It doesn't.

As I said the trick is doing it accurately on the fly, preferably seamlessly. You have sites that will test your connection speed but the faster your connection the larger the file they use to sample the speed. You need a pretty big file to accurately sample the speed which is issue itself.

Speakeasy - Speed Test
Agree, a decent amount of data must be streaming to come up with speed averages. I use Speedtest.net instead..... http://speedtest.net/

Quote:
I don't recall seeing a lot of this but my guess would be you see it a lot on audio or video files for download? For those types of files you can adjust the bitrate and serve lower quality files. For example this is 20kbps audio file that will stream even on dial up:

http://www.40lbhead.com/headradio/wma/no_friends.wma

Regular 320kbps which would require at least DSL:

http://www.40lbhead.com/misc/audio/h...no_friends.mp3
I download Ubuntu ISO images and average speed on a 600MB file is around 7Mb/s

Gee coalman looks like we are the late birds of CD....

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM

20,720 posts, read 61,979,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Couldn't you say the same thing when it concerns cars? They contain loads of "stuff" I don't need or want but technology has moved on and either I buy the car or go buy a different car somewhere else....

A web site is very slow? back to Google search and find another web site with better performance.. You could install Flash blockers, Ad blockers, you could add the names of the referred ad sites to your etc/hosts file and assign the IP address of 127.0.0.1 to them all... THAT will cut down on waiting/loading time...
Yep, not looking forward to having to get another car when this one dies. In Florida, I was aghast at some of the "safety" upgrades in new cars, like automatic locking of doors in an accident. A number of accidents in south Florida are people driving into canals and drowning. That "safety" feature turns a car into a deathtrap because all those electric locks stop working as soon as a car hits the water and starts shorting out.

Flash blockers - already done
Ad blockers - already done
hosts file - already done

The sat. connection is back up and running, so I'm not in the same fix I was in when I wrote the OP, but the core problem is still there.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The sat. connection is back up and running, so I'm not in the same fix I was in when I wrote the OP, but the core problem is still there.
Agree 100% the crap web sites serve up is out of control... I gotta laugh at the thought of having a 28.8k dial up connection in this day and age... Maybe with a bottle of tranquilizers I could handle it.....

And to think back when a 100k file download took hours and god forbid you opened Word Perfect during the download.....

Merry Christmas chickpea......

Old 12-24-2010, 05:14 PM

20,720 posts, read 61,979,036 times
Thank-you plwhit.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,287,627 times
Quote:
The internet is destroying itself, one sucky webmaster at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet