U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM

20,712 posts, read 61,971,861 times

Advertisements

My satellite connection has been down for a few days, and I've been limping along with a 26 kbps dial-up connection (all that is available otherwise). I am amazed at just how pervasive bloat has become over the past couple of years.

As an example, BBC news had a story I was interested in. After waiting and waiting for it to load, I finally had to stop the load, look at the source code for the page, and retrieve the one paragraph of information that I wanted to read. In the old days, that would have been available in two seconds at the longest.

Flash games? LOL! Nope. Repeated attempts to load time out.

Then there is a tv station that wants to download an off-brand adware video viewer so I can see their broadcasts online.

The internet is destroying itself, one sucky webmaster at a time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 AM

24,497 posts, read 38,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

That's quite a statement! Considering that webmasters are responsible for only a small part of the internet.

In general, the web is being tailored for broadband connections. Certain technologies (AJAX/JQUERY/Flash) kind of assume that you have a fast responsive connection.

If you are limited to dialup connections, I'd recommend disabling images and opting to hit mobile versions of websites where applicable.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 AM

41,823 posts, read 46,276,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My satellite connection has been down for a few days, and I've been limping along with a 26 kbps dial-up connection (all that is available otherwise). I am amazed at just how pervasive bloat has become over the past couple of years.

I went through a similar experience for a week a few months back so I feel your pain. I gave up and used it just for email and checking a few important things. The issue is mostly the added content, a lot of JS scripts are huge and you have flash ads and many other issues.

Quote:
It's moving on Harry. Just one example. .png images are larger than .jpg but you can't do this as easily with .jpg or .gif:

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

20,712 posts, read 61,971,861 times
I hadn't thought of using the mobile versions of a website. Already knew about disabling images. I just find it crazy that businesses who want to reach the greatest number of people INTENTIONALLY use code that limits their audience. It is like "Here's my business card. What, you can't read it? You don't have eyes 4.0? I thought EVERYONE had eyes 4.0." Why not just cut to the chase, make your website 3-D with the absolute coolist graphic representations of text possible, have it viewable only on a Cray while using shutter glasses on a 46' monitor in high res., and slap it up on the internet for people to groan "Ohhhh, that website is SO cool. I just know it. I wish I could see it." OR, in the vernacular of business, WWDTS? (What would Donald Trump say?)

Moving on is fine. Leaving your customers in the dust is not.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM

harry, you're absolutely right. Ideally they'd have multiple code paths for the likely different experiences based on connection and system.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,759,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
harry, you're absolutely right. Ideally they'd have multiple code paths for the likely different experiences based on connection and system.
How would a Internet web site know your connection speed to your ISP?

How would a web site know if you have an antique for a system?

I'm sure "they" could probe for some of your information but then the privacy freaks would scream their heads off.... So unfortunately without broadband in this day and age you are screwed.....

Last edited by plwhit; 12-20-2010 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How would a Internet web site know your connection speed to your ISP?
You can do that pretty easily. The trick would be doing it accurately on the fly. Not going to research how exactly but the biggest issue I could see is getting accurate sampling since you need a fairly large file to do that. The best way to handle this if you're the website owner is allowing the user to pick what they want but that introduces problems itself because you would need them to load at least one page and make a selection. It's fairly easy to manipulate pages if you know what you need to serve.

Quote:
How would a web site know if you have an antique for a system?
There's various ways to test for different things, many of them rely on javascript though. You do send a user agent with every request for every page that includes OS, that would be one metric:

Whats My User Agent?

There are websites that will serve specific code based on the browser you are using because of incompatibilities amongst browsers, this is all done server side but they already know what browser you are using before the page is sent.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There are websites that will serve specific code based on the browser you are using because of incompatibilities amongst browsers, this is all done server side but they already know what browser you are using before the page is sent.
Not always. The User Agent string isn't that hard to change via hex editor (I used to do that back when I used Links 0.99 heavily because some web sites insisted on feeding me the "mobile" version of their site), and some browsers like Firefox have plugins which let you do so. See "User Agent Switcher".

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
.........and some browsers like Firefox have plugins which let you do so. See "User Agent Switcher".
Already installed long time ago, I use it to test phpBB installs using a SE user agent because phpBB detects the user agent string specifically for bots and they get slightly altered page.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 AM

Hex editing, agent cloning, etc... are done by folks that are outliers in the target audience of 99% of websites. Right now you would have to rely on js and flash tricks to determine the connection and computer speeds.

The multi-codepath could be standardized and web browsers could use Windows Experience Index (and it's equivelants on other systems) to choose which codepath to use. Similiar to how game developers use multiple code paths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet