Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:46 PM

737 posts, read 1,036,805 times

Advertisements

"A wireless home network brings many benefits that all the family can access the Internet simultaneously, you can use a laptop anywhere within the radius of the wireless network, freeing you from physical constraints, you don't have to string Cat-5 cabling throughout your house (no holes in the wall either!) But a wi-fi network also brings it's own set of security problems. The following recommendations itemise the steps which should be taken to improve your wi-fi network security".

http://antivirusmac.org/top-10-tips-...security.html/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I agree with all that except for #10.
That's a bit extreme.

Also, not really security related but signal strength related: Place the router on upper floors if possible. Most routers broadcast better down then they do up.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:30 PM

278 posts, read 993,294 times
I have WEP protection on my network. I just looked on Wikipedia, and it says WEP is outdated. Do I need to upgrade? If so, can someone give me a link that shows how to do it? I see most of the people in my neighborhood have something called "WPA-PSK" and one guy is unprotected.

I'm not as concerned about people stealing my Wifi (I do it on my Blackberry in random places) as I am about people looking at files on my computer. What do I need to do to prevent that?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
I have WEP protection on my network. I just looked on Wikipedia, and it says WEP is outdated. Do I need to upgrade? If so, can someone give me a link that shows how to do it? I see most of the people in my neighborhood have something called "WPA-PSK" and one guy is unprotected.

I'm not as concerned about people stealing my Wifi (I do it on my Blackberry in random places) as I am about people looking at files on my computer. What do I need to do to prevent that?
Your router and wireless devices have to support WPA in order to use it, you can't "upgrade", most devices that are a few years old do at least WPA, WEP is good for keeping the honest people out, it can be cracked in like 5 minutes.

You should be concerned about people stealing your wi-fi, would you like your neighbors to be downloading gigs of movies via bit torrent, then your provider disconnecting you for the illegal activity?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM

278 posts, read 993,294 times
I just got my router about a month ago. It is 2wire brand.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I agree with all that except for #10.
That's a bit extreme.

Also, not really security related but signal strength related: Place the router on upper floors if possible. Most routers broadcast better down then they do up.
Mine is on one end of my basement. It's shielded from the road and from my neighbors by dirt, and in my case the two rooms where we use it the most are immediately above it.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Your router and wireless devices have to support WPA in order to use it, you can't "upgrade", most devices that are a few years old do at least WPA, WEP is good for keeping the honest people out, it can be cracked in like 5 minutes.

You should be concerned about people stealing your wi-fi, would you like your neighbors to be downloading gigs of movies via bit torrent, then your provider disconnecting you for the illegal activity?
Here are the ambiguous laws related to wirless hacking:

It IS illegal and unethical to: hack passwords or encryption to gain access to anything, to "stalk and mooch" wireless access.
It IS legal, but unethical, to use wireless internet without the owners permission (as long as your not trespassing or otherwise illegally obtaining a signal).
It IS legal and ethical to use wireless internet WITH the owners permission, as long as, their wireless internet agreement with their provider allows it.
But, until there is a clear statute and case law to define this issue--it is definitely a grey area. It is a very, very valid argument that if the owner/provider of the wireless connection WANTED you not to use it, they would of encrypted it (as it comes as an available option on all software that I kno
w of); ergo, they do not mind if anyone (legally) uses it. I personally believe that this will be the case 20 years from now. But, manners dictate that we should not readily assume such. In all cases, take wise counsel and let your conscience be your guide.

IS it legal or illegal to use someone else internet if they don't put code on it?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It is a very, very valid argument that if the owner/provider of the wireless connection WANTED you not to use it, they would of encrypted it (as it comes as an available option on all software that I know of)
The key words here are "that YOU know of". The average computer user has very little clue about the workings of what they're using, and few would even be aware of wireless encryption, let alone how to set it up, so I don't go with that argument.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
The key words here are "that YOU know of". The average computer user has very little clue about the workings of what they're using, and few would even be aware of wireless encryption, let alone how to set it up, so I don't go with that argument.
Agree on the average user is clueless but that's their fault.

This is not like Internet security is not covered in the media.... If the user takes the time to RTFM....

Yeah I know, preaching to the choir..

Last edited by plwhit; 01-01-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
I leave mine open and don't care if anyone uses it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet