U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM

910 posts, read 2,973,067 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell the downside is that you can't port your number to mj and that there is little to no customer service. I used to have SunRocket before they went out of business and I thought they were great.

Would appreciate any feedback from current users. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 PM

24,497 posts, read 36,169,840 times
Another downside to be aware of is that you need to have your computer up and running for magicjack to work.

I personally use OOMA (www.ooma.com). They're products are available at Amazon, Walmart and various outlets. I like it vecause it's not dependent on having a computer up and running. I have the older model that has no recurring fees. The newer ones are $12/yr or something.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM

10,764 posts, read 18,127,245 times
And another downside, they track the numbers you call to give your targeted advertisements (you pay for service and you are still force fed ads), and you can't sue them for any reason. Some notes are here
MagicJack's EULA says it will spy on you and force you into arbitration - Boing Boing

The EULA is here magicJack

Oh, and the visitor counter that was on their website was proven to be fake. Would you really want to do business with a company like that?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM

910 posts, read 2,973,067 times
Default That's not cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Another downside to be aware of is that you need to have your computer up and running for magicjack to work.

I personally use OOMA (www.ooma.com). They're products are available at Amazon, Walmart and various outlets. I like it vecause it's not dependent on having a computer up and running. I have the older model that has no recurring fees. The newer ones are $12/yr or something.
I followed the link and the purchase price is $250--kinda steep to buy a product that has no reputation. I'm leary of spending that much on equipment for a product that has no other use.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM

10,764 posts, read 18,127,245 times
Why not go with standard VOIP service? I pay $10 a month.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 AM

24,497 posts, read 36,169,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I followed the link and the purchase price is $250--kinda steep to buy a product that has no reputation. I'm leary of spending that much on equipment for a product that has no other use.
OOMA has been around for a while and has a good reputation. Yes, you're putting faith in the fact that a one-time purchase will last for years to come and the service will remain active. I've had mine for 2 years (which I purchased at $165)... so that averages $82.50/year, getting cheaper every year that goes by.

MagicJack is good too... don't get me wrong, but I don't leave a computer on 24/7... which could cost $100-$250/year in electricity.

At 7 watts, the OOMA device only costs me $12/year to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or