Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing this since the mid-90's and it finally got here. The last blocks of addresses have been assigned by the IANA to Regional Internet Registries this week.

But no big whoop, we will finally start moving in earnest to IPv6, but IPv4 will be around for a long time yet.

IPv4 Exhaustion Not Much Cause for Concern | CTO Edge

There still no place like ::1, formerly known as 127.0.0.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
I think it stopped being an issue when people finally figured out how to configure private IP address spaces. And with the way computing is going (more colo/hosted/cloud) computing, I don't see IPv6 taking over any time soon.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM

IPv6 is taking hold outside the US more than here. The reason? The use developed IPv4, and has the more than it's share as compared to the rest of the world.

The original allotment of IP addresses for Africa (the whole thing) was a single class C address.

Private network addressing has bought a lot of time, and I noted that when helping a friend with his setup, the addresses assigned to his router from his ISP was also a private IP address. (DSL from AT&T).

The question is, will other ISP's adopt IPv6 or also move to assigning private IP's? Which would suck as then you couldn't setup port forwarding so you could access your system from the internet.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Do I want to move to IPv6? I don't for one simple reason. Because of the abundance of IPv6 addresses (5×1028 for every person on the planet) there is no NAT implementation, thus no SPI meaning that if your router is configured for 6to4 then every PC with an IPv6 address will be exposed to the internet.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I think it stopped being an issue when people finally figured out how to configure private IP address spaces. And with the way computing is going (more colo/hosted/cloud) computing, I don't see IPv6 taking over any time soon.
Good point. In the early days of Internet, I handled DSL support for GTE Business customers. Most would lease a block of 5 IP's but needing only one, configuring private addresses by router. They now lease only one IP.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
They might be exhausted but a recent study shows

Quote:
Many units of internet real estate are still sparsely used, with only around 14 per cent actually been utilised, according to a study by the University of Southern California, published on Tuesday.
World shrugs as IPv4 addresses finally exhausted ? The Register

So if there was better utilization of IP addresses they wouldn't be exhausted....

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
They might be exhausted but a recent study shows

World shrugs as IPv4 addresses finally exhausted ? The Register

So if there was better utilization of IP addresses they wouldn't be exhausted....
Yep, there is still plenty of space, but those addresses are being sat on by many institutions (Universities have a ton of unused blocks). They are starting to recover them though, so I don't see the move being anytime soon.

Eventually yes, and more so than just a need for more, but the advantages of IPv6 are quite nice. I doubt any will live long enough to see IPv4 extinct, or even rarely used, but we will move to IPv6 slowly and surely due to its benefits.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do I want to move to IPv6? I don't for one simple reason. Because of the abundance of IPv6 addresses (5×1028 for every person on the planet) there is no NAT implementation, thus no SPI meaning that if your router is configured for 6to4 then every PC with an IPv6 address will be exposed to the internet.
Not that big of an issue, they designed IPv6 taking into consideration the many benefits and security features to which NAT provided.

Here are some examples of NAT's protections and the features of IPv6.

IPv6 Local Network Protection with Cisco IOS Routers and Switches* [IPv6] - Cisco Systems

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
I hear Egypt has some ip4 addresses they aren't using. Maybe we can throw those back into circulation.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not that big of an issue, they designed IPv6 taking into consideration the many benefits and security features to which NAT provided.

Here are some examples of NAT's protections and the features of IPv6.

IPv6 Local Network Protection with Cisco IOS Routers and Switches* [IPv6] - Cisco Systems
Interesting link, I plan to go through it in detail, just not tonight.

As I have my CCNA certification, I may well be faced with setting this up at some point, on Cisco hardware running Cisco IOS. But even though I work on Cisco gear frequently, I don't have any at home, nor do I have an ASA or Proxy server for security. I enjoy developing ACL's, but that is me, they can be intimidating.

NAT is my first line of defense from all the crap on the internet. There is a real background radiation of many undesirable attacks that are stopped cold by NAT.

The concern is for those that depend on the $50 router/switch/AP and how these vendors implement the change and provide NAT like security. I suspect many home routers today ain't up to the task, primarily not having the resources to install firmware with the features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet