Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I'm looking to cut down my expenses (aren't we all?) and currently have Uverse with TV and phone.

I don't need TV and phone, just internet. So, I'm thinking of either dropping the internet Uverse for DSL.

What is better for plain-jane internet? DSL?

Don't care about mega download speeds as long as it's decent for watching Youtube videos, browsing, email.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Looks like in your case it's just a matter of cost. Will ATT offer basic uVerse DSL without phone and cable? As ATT has already laid the fiber for uVerse, they probably won't back off to copper pair service. Can you get DSL alone thru your local cable company? Also, check out Clear (was Clearwire), a wireless provider partnered with Sprint to provide wireless broadband. I have used Clearwire in two different cities and was pretty decent service. Be aware, they offer a two year contract and if you drop it before the two years is up, they WILL keep your hook up fee.

Looks like you need just the basic tier of download speed.

I turned off my TV cable and phone service from TWC just yesterday, keeping only the Internet feed from RoadRunner. I kept the 15M speed as I stream TV and movies over that internet service. I hooked up a digital antenna to my HDTV and watching the Mem/OKC game right now. Better picture than I had over cable... for free.

----

There's an ad on this forum page between your post and mine that shows...

Quote:
AT&T™ Official Site - For a Limited Time Only - Get DSL For As Low As $14.95 For 12 Months. - att.com
DSL Internet Service - Packages Starting At $9.99/Month. Find Deals at FreshDeals! - FreshDeals.com
There's is also Verizon there but if you have uVerse, you don't get Verizon.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I use to use ATT DSL for internet and it was ok for browsing. How I have TW turbo and the real difference is streaming any media. I guess it depends on your local service and wirng but mine is great picture with TW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet