Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think a lot of good can come out of this type of discussion. YT has so many possibilities. It can compete with Netflix and other media outlets. Rather than post a new thread, I'd like to steer this discussion towards what kind of value YT brings (consumers) and what potential value it has. It's an interesting concept imo.
YT contains a huge amount of historical video's and almost never seen video's..

For example seeing the Pink Floyd concerts in Pompeii and Montreal...

Life back in the 1930's...

Video's of the Wehrmacht in WW2..

Wondering about the universe and being able to go on YT and see it.

All the how-to video's....

YT's educational value IMHO is enormous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There are ads?! I never see any ads, I have just tried any song, the music starts immediately, no overplaying, either
You must be running AdBlock+ also. I always find it a shock when I see all the ads on sites (including this one ) when I access them from other computers than my own.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You must be running AdBlock+ also. I always find it a shock when I see all the ads on sites (including this one ) when I access them from other computers than my own.
No, I use Chrome, I don't know if there are such add-ons for Chrome.
But I have blocked all things Google via the Windows hosts file. But I never see any empty spaces on YouTube, so I didn't think there are ads there.

There are ads on this board, too?!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
YT doesn't call them commercials or ads Neuling, YT calls them "pre-rolls" and they've been using them since late 2008.

Here's some reading material so you can understand somewhat how YT makes money:

http://www.howtogetviews.com/how-you...os-and-more-3/

http://techcrunch.com/2007/05/11/you...ll-no-context/

http://www.google.im/support/forum/p...da2fac94&hl=en

Last edited by plwhit; 05-23-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet