Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times

Advertisements

I did a deal with a guy from Craigslist and it ended up being a scam. I'm not sure how it's done, but he gave me an email address of a "friend" of his for PayPal. I sent the money, through my credit card, so needless to say I got my money back but I am P*SSED!!

So, I set up another email account and emailed the guy. He says he still has what I am trying to purchase. I want to go through all the negotiation with him. Is there any possible way to get him, or is this a lost cause? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
IMO: Walk away. Get out while the getting is good.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I did a deal with a guy from Craigslist and it ended up being a scam. I'm not sure how it's done, but he gave me an email address of a "friend" of his for PayPal. I sent the money, through my credit card, so needless to say I got my money back but I am P*SSED!!

So, I set up another email account and emailed the guy. He says he still has what I am trying to purchase. I want to go through all the negotiation with him. Is there any possible way to get him, or is this a lost cause? Thanks.

If it was a fraud and you were able to get the money refunded through the CC company, then their fraud department will likely investigate and report it to the authorities. You have done all that you can really do individually by reporting it to your CC agency without putting a lot of time and effort into such which will likely result in no viable resolution.

As for dealing with them a second time, no... heck no...

Remember, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,222 times
I'm obviously not going to deal with him again...I just wanted to see if there was anything I can do so they can stop this guy.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Flag his posts.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Just walk away, it's nothing you should waste your time on. CL = Cash and face-to-face transactions only in my household.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Just walk away, it's nothing you should waste your time on. CL = Cash and face-to-face transactions only in my household.
And in a very public place

Old 06-21-2011, 06:10 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And, Yes.

I sold a young lady a camera today.
She met me in a very public place. She parked in a small knot of cars, and was I parked away from other vehicles in wide open view of the world.
It was all cool.

I have a chance to look at a CL For Sale item tomorrow. In a private home. I am less excited.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Seconded or thirded.

We've had a couple of instances in my city of people getting robbed of the cash they brought to buy something advertised on CL because the place they went to do the deal turned out not to be so public.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Is there any possible way to get him, or is this a lost cause? Thanks.
Lost cause.

A friend of mine owned a flooring store. A guy came in and bought $25k in materials and paid with a stolen Amex card. A week or two later, he came back for more, not knowing that the charge had already been disputed and my friend had been notified that the card was stolen. My friend set up another sale, notified the authorities, telling them exactly when they could come to his store to arrest the guy, and they weren't interested. He had to practically beg them to come and make the easiest arrest ever. That fraud was the beginning of the end for his store - he never recovered from the loss, and had to shut down within a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet