Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
Well, I think the main thing.. is that they have to wait 3 weeks to get their new internet service thru U-Verse, if they just switch off, and get off Comcast when that 30 day trial period runs out.

I'm not sure they can afford to do that, as I said before, their job entails them being on the internet.
Now they could stay with Comcast, and get hit with the $150 cancellation fee, and the sales person said they'd get a $150 visa card for switching to U-verse (sounds like they really want their business), but all they got that put was on a business card, with the salesperson's name on the front... Nothing formally in writing... and I think my friends need that in order to be sure they'll do what they say they'll do.
Like many of us, they're constantly being told one thing by a company, only to be ripped off.
They could however, just go with AT&T for the cell phone service, and forget about switching their broadband, but they say its seriously slow and they cannot even see newsreel videos.. or nothing...
They've called comcast and someone fixed it temporarily but now it's slow as rain again...

They sure don't want to stay with their present provider for cell phone service, though... which is another big name company I'll not mention... They're quite expensive and the service is terrible.

They hardly want to stay with another big name company who treats them horribly either though, and the service is poor... so to get off Comcast might be a good thing too. I've heard many complaints about them on the web and from people in person myself.
I've seen their internet and how it loads and it's quite slow... not only when times are busy but always. It really doesn't seem like broadband even.
I have never seen comcast internet be slow. At my business partners house, who has comcast internet, he is getting 50-60 d/l and 25-30 up. AT&T cant compete with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I have never seen comcast internet be slow. At my business partners house, who has comcast internet, he is getting 50-60 d/l and 25-30 up. AT&T cant compete with that.
It isn't an issue of the capabilities of cable specifically, it is an issue with segmentation and management (Cable Operator issue). Having all of that bandwidth does you no good if the segment has too many subscribers and they do not allot enough TV channels for extra bandwidth. Proper segmentation requires installing fiber closer and deeper into the service areas (very expensive) or adding more TV channels to increase bandwidth (limited based on many factors).

This is all local company issues and changes from location to location so you may end up with a properly segmented distribution in one area allowing you to get your consistent access to bandwidth or end up in a poorly segmented area where peak times reduce the line to a crawl. As I said, it all depends on if the local cable company is doing their job and the one in my home town rarely did.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,134 times
I don't know where they heard about a better deal from U-Verse than Comcast. Non subscribers can get the Comcast triple play for $89 as well if it is their lowest tier. That includes 15 mbps internet and unlimited nationwide calling with 12 features like caller ID and call trace. I'm also not sure who they went through that they are locked in an agreement with them. The only way we will typically do a contract with early termination fees would be if they get our Premier package that includes all channels except Playboy and 30 mbps download speed. There's no way a U-verse triple for $89 would be comparable at all to that channel lineup and internet speed. If price and a contract is the big issue, they should have went with a lower triple play offer. :/ I might be a little bias, but I do know the Comcast side of this.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,134 times
Comcast doesn't use a "local cable company". They are a national company and use their own lines. They do not use third parties for any of their services.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutclamp View Post
Comcast doesn't use a "local cable company". They are a national company and use their own lines. They do not use third parties for any of their services.
In some cases, tho, Comcast bought out resources belonging to another cable company, so there can be some variation in terms of existing infrastructure.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 AM

3 posts, read 9,052 times
att sucks. they suck you in with promises and then BAM the suck you with sucking. Go with anyone but them.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 9,052 times
oh, and uverse internet is constantly dropping off just like ATTs calls - can't believe I fell for their BS again.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
For what it's worth I've had Comcast for a very long time, one thing I can't complain about is the service. It's nearly always on and the rare times it goes out that is usually for a few minutes. Speeds are always superb as advertised even when traffic is going to be heavy.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For what it's worth I've had Comcast for a very long time, one thing I can't complain about is the service. It's nearly always on and the rare times it goes out that is usually for a few minutes. Speeds are always superb as advertised even when traffic is going to be heavy.
In my experience over seven years with Comcast: the service tends to be fast and solid, but don't change anything. Seriously. Once in place, things seem to work fine, but they can't keep track of anything!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,489 times
I am currently a Comcast customer and I am VERY UNHAPPY (to say the least) about their services. I have been waiting for almost a month now on a new/replacement equipment. It is supposed to make my internet faster (as claimed/explained by their service rep), but of course I cannot agree on that claim since I still have not received the equipment. I have called several times, inquired about the items, have been given a WRONG tracking number TWICE and as I type this, I am on hold still KEEPING MY COOL waiting to find out what is going on with the services (VERY POOR SERVICE).

This is also why I wanted to ask which one is better service... ATT or Comcast when it comes to internet...

Anyway, the frustration this has brought me is WAY TOO MUCH to convince me that Comcast provides a better service (my opinion)... I was just told that they couldn't get my information because their network is "out of service" Huh??

(My) Conclusion: COMCAST PROVIDES A VERY UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE BEYOND THEIR INTERNET....

by: VERY UPSET COMCAST CUSTOMER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet