Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,093 times

Advertisements

My friends signed up for U-verse tv but they've not had good results with their service. The TV signal on their main TV won't work at all. AT&T told them they could easily be charged $55 min. just to come out and see what's wrong, but it didn't work for long at all to start with, only an hour or so, when the installer first came to set it up.
They also get strange signals off their other TV that's hooked up to U-verse.. sometimes it says lost signal, and to try another channel.
When they called up AT&T they were told by a customer service supervisor by the name of April Head that they were going to be charged $55 every time the service tech for AT&T even knocked on their door!

So, I'm advising them to get rid of the u-verse AT&T TV and go with something else. The husband has a job, but it doesn't pay well, and my friend, the wife, she's only getting part time work now.
So... instead of being charged over $100 a month for tv/internet/phone, plus a $55 service fee every time something goes wrong with their service, I think they need to just get DSL installed on their computer instead and give up the TV service!
Also.. I went to Radio Shack and the clerk there advised us, that they could get a Roku, a DLNA complaint device.

However, they want to stay with WIFI... so they can get a iTouch pad, or a new computer tablet, a smart phone, etc...
Can they do the WiFi with the Roku, or do they need to stay with the U-verse internet?

Their U-verse internet is not very fast either. Most of the time, when you go and try to watch a video, even a newscast, the picture is so stuttering and slow, it's a strange experience to watch.

I'm so surprised at the poor service and even worst customer service they're receiving but they're not in a position to spend hundreds a month to just get basic cable tv, which they getting now, and slow Internet connection.

They've also thought about getting Netflix, which is not expensive at all.

Has anyone been on just DSL and used the Roku, to get TV service & reception?

Has anyone else had trouble with AT&T? I know they said they couldn't even bring the receiver back to the AT&T store. Instead they insisted they bring the receiver that only worked for an hour, down to a UPS place.
When they brought it down there, the UPS guy showed them all the OTHER AT&T receiver that were being shipped back to AT&T!
What's going on with U-verse? I thought it was supposed to be so great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
I use a Roku and have internet only -TimeWarner/RoadRunner. NO cable TV.

Your friend may be able to get ATT DSL at a reasonable rate. TWC/RoadRunner has a new customer 10 meg Broadband for $33 a month, for new users for a year... or something like that. There are good points and bad for using a DLNA device. Unfortunately, the bad will outweigh the good, but that applies to most any TV programming product.

Roku Wireless
Quote:
How do I set up my Roku player? : Featured Questions
Wireless (All models) – This is the most popular way to connect a Roku player. Make sure you have the appropriate wireless network name (SSID) and your wireless security password, if you use one.
Friend should review the Roku forums and reviews.

The actual TV viewing on Roku is limited, mostly to HULU and some news stations. At HULU you can view previously seen TV programs. Most news stations will time out at a set time limit. I had CNN International but it appears to be gone. Others are Al Jazeera, RT (russion), France24, and some other stuff. There is a Fox news but it is internet pod casts, not live.

There is an 'appendage' of sorts, PlayOn, a DLNA compliant web view to your DLNA device for TV. With PlayOn, you can view many TV live or at any later time. IT just takes practice and perseverance to master the process.

The bad side, I don't know if it is the Roku coding or other but frequently programs will fail during broadcast or not load at all. Roku has recently released its Roku2 device and as I understand, the new coding has some flaws.

The PlayOn website will show you other DLNA compliant devices one can use, rather than the ROKU. And PlayOn does have a download Free Trial.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
I dropped cable tv a couple of years ago also, but instead of a roku we use xbox 360's for netflix/hulu. I have seen the roku in action and its comparible to what we have on the xbox. very easy to use and plenty to watch.

i also have antennas in the attic to pickup the major networks; that is connected to a computer w/ windows media center that can be used as a DVR to record shows. Most of the popular programs on hulu can be had for free using the antenna with a DVR. I still keep my hulu account though so I don't have to keep every episode of our favorite shows saved on my HDD, and I like watching the daily show and a few other programs you only get on cable.

overall, it costs me around $23/mo for service (+ $60/mo for DSL), which is far less than the last satellite bill i had two years ago.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM

I know of the Xbox, southgeorgia, but do you need Internet to use it?
I know that the xbox costs about $300, but considering you wouldn't have to pay for internet service, it might be cost-effective.
However, we do need internet service for work. I wish we didn't but we do. And I'm a fan of the internet.
I feel kinda lost without it.

I saw the Roku at Radio shack and yes, it's about $79-$90, and the modem I would need is about $55...
so, that's $135-$145...
We don't like how the current subscriber for our tv service is treating us.. it's like being a hobo.. we're being treated like dirt by their customer service people, though they almost begged us to go with them originally!
ripoff artists I'm NOT fond of! I won't keep paying them to mistreat us, nor overcharge us!

Yeah, I can also go with an analog digital converter and at least get the major broadcast stations for free!
It's sad you cannot get much tv for free anymore without paying out the nose! :0

Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
I know of the Xbox, southgeorgia, but do you need Internet to use it?
I know that the xbox costs about $300, but considering you wouldn't have to pay for internet service, it might be cost-effective.

The xbox slim 4GB is $200, plus you need a live Gold acct for watching netflix/hulu. And you absolutely need internet for watching streaming video. I'm not so much advocating the xbox for your needs if streaming is the only thing you want to do; it just works better for me as it is an extender for windows media center (its a program in windows vista/7 for recording TV, storing movies, pics, music, listening to the radio, etc. . .).

the roku would be your best bet unless you have media center intentions.

Quote:
Yeah, I can also go with an analog digital converter and at least get the major broadcast stations for free!
absolutely. i believe there are other DVR's available, other than media center, for ATSC (digital antenna) channels. echostar made one for a short while that you may find online. there is a box i can't recall the name of that is a DVR w/ streaming apps built-in. try a google search.

Quote:
It's sad you cannot get much tv for free anymore without paying out the nose! :0
we get 20+ channels on the antenna. go to tvfool.com, put in your address and see what comes up.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM

well, my friends have tried all week long to get their u-verse TV & internet service cancelled, so they will be within the 30 day trial period. They went up to the AT&T office, and were put on hold, they said for almost 45 minutes! Then they claimed they'd call my friend back, but they never did that day.... They were put on hold for hours, HOURS, my friend told me.
They were sent a letter that they could get the internet, tv & phone for only $89, but and they'd get a 30 day trial period, but when they called today, there was a customer service person, who would ONLY give out her first name, NOT her last name, and NO employee ID, and claimed that they would OWE AT&T a early TERMINATION fee!
This company, AT&T is crap! I have read numerous articles and posts by present and previous AT&T customer who were literally DISGUSTED with the u-verse tv & internet service!
The AT&T has TOTALLY overcharged them too, by twice what they SHOULD owe, on their first bill, and it's gonna be their LAST bill!
This is bait & switch... They told them they couldn't even get DSL now, cuz they first signed up for u-verse, though the u-verse is making their computer crash, and they got to reboot it, several times a day.
I've seen it myself and they're getting all these weird little blue lines on their screen. I think the u-verse is giving their computer a virus!`

Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I know several who have ATT universe and love iit. they may have other probems but hope it works out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet