Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times

Advertisements

Looks as if I indavertently posted the same link twice; heres the "missing link".

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ATCS_Monitor/info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder
As a former locomotive engineer, I can tell you that you don't want to know what is being hauled through town on a daily basis.
No I reckon not!!!!! (Probably some pretty toxic sometimes comes thru)

Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
What I mostly see are double stacked containers from China, with Chinese cheap crap in them.

Last edited by elnina; 07-15-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhheights77007 View Post
I'm looking for a website that tracks trains real time. The idea came to me while waiting on an amtrack this morning. I started wondering where they came from, where they're heading, etc.
I did a search & found sites like this in Chicago, Maryland, etc.. but mostly for commuters/subways.
Does something like this exist for freight trains?
If you type the term "freight train symbols" into a search engine, you van find listings for most of the major carriers, plus some historical data on the practices in an earlier day. At one time there might have been markets, such as New York-Chicago, with multiple schedules on the same day, but one daily (or less often) schedule between to points is usually the rule. And many services operate only a couple of days a week or on an as-needed basis. There may also be multiple freight yards or intermodal terminals in some cities

I'm posting a link that should give you a couple of places to look:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6183756AA4o9yL

a comprehensive guide for one of today's major players:

http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/CSX_Train_Symbols

a present -day inter-active site:

Mid-Atlantic Train Finding Tools

and twop examples of the practices of an earlier time:

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Pr...d/symbols.html

Burlington Northern Freight Train Symbol History

but it needs to be emphasized (as in the first link), freight trains do not run on a strict schedule -- there's no reason for it since the advent of centralized dispatching, and crews and power aren't always immediately available. But the material in the posted links is very useful when listening in on railroad radio, or building an ATCS monitor like the one previously described.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-15-2014 at 09:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 15,410 times
Default Rail Freight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
As a former locomotive engineer, I can tell you that you don't want to know what is being hauled through town on a daily basis.
Do you know if freight rail companies such as Union Pacific would make available freight trains gps locations so that we can know when they will be passing by?!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:33 PM

As previously outlined, an ACTS system will locate train movements, but it won't identify them with regard to origin, destination, etc. By this time, Internet technologies might be evolving toward a point where some "railfans" might make their hobby activities available to the public.

Fostoria, Ohio, probably has the most intense rail traffic of any community of similar size; Up to nearly 150 trains daily descended upon it a few years ago, though declining coal traffic may have downplayed things a bit. And Fostoria had a live ATCS monitor at one time.

Here's a relevant link; I'm not sure of the current status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSUCA_2Ais

Most railroad mainlines also feature automated defect detectors; these are unmanned locations where dragging equipment and overheated axle bearings (commonly called "hotboxes") can be identified and the dispatchers and crew notified automatically, if you live within a reasonable distance, a commercially-available radio scanner will pick them up. as it will railroad radio communications.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-26-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 04:07 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I have to agree with the other posters on here which are/were freight RR employees. I am a retired 42 year veteran of a freight railroad. I can tell you that the RR always knows the location and the commodities in each and every car.

You would be shocked to know what is hauled in freight trains and the gold mine of electronics and other goodies being shipped in intermodal trains.

I think I can say with some certainty that this information is not available to the public for what I consider obvious reasons. Most likely one could only access this information from a secure encrypted RR program. I also suspect that certain RR employees which are on a need to know basis could access this information from their home computers. I also suspect that any decent hacker could probably hack the system.

This opinion of course is only based and freight trains.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:01 PM

19 posts, read 31,820 times
Amtrak does have a train tracker, but I looked at it just now, and it's not real time at all. Go to their website and click the link to train status, then scroll down and click the "track a train map" icon.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 14,745 times
I don't know about you Tek_Freek, but i agree with Virtual Beekeeper and hhheights77007. I wish we could have some way of tracking what goes through our towns, so that we are more aware, in case something happens to the train(s) and people have to evacuate. People kinda like to refuse to evacuate, because they don't know why and if nobody tells them why, then they won't leave there home and most likely end up dying.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:55 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
someone made a hardware app:
https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...p-for-his-room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet