Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM

52 posts, read 71,516 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here use it or familiar with it? Where Do I get the advertisements from? I don't get how it works....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
After you sign up there is pretty simple walk through to generate code for the ads. You can select size, type, colors etc. Once you have the code you place it wherever you want on your page(s). Google will place ads based on the content of your pages. If the page is about blue widgets and there is advertisers that have bid on advertising for blue widgets they'll appear on the page along with other relevant ads.

There's other options like blocking advertisers. Be sure to read the guidelines and follow them. Google ads can be very lucrative but if you get tossed from the program it's permanent.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamer_xo View Post
Where Do I get the advertisements from? I don't get how it works....
Sometime before, you either signed up for some info from some website, or you just visited them.
Then they start bombarding you with their ads.
Not really bothersome (the ads are smallish) but it gets to be obnoxious.
No idea on how to get away from it, except maybe use another browser ... ?

I wanted to know about programming something, and asked for info from some company. They contacted me and then we parted. I was not able to use what they had. Even after months, now, I still get ads from that company, even tho I have *opted* out.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Irman, "Google Adsense" is for people who have websites that want to put Google ads on them.

http://www.google.com/adsense

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Irman, "Google Adsense" is for people who have websites that want to put Google ads on them.
http://www.google.com/adsense
I understand, but *I think* the OP wondered how it got on his/her browser ??? Or maybe not ?? Who knows

In my case, I get these ads (located as small ads in between stuff I *want to read*).
Then there is this *link* you can find out what *adsense* is ....

What *I* do want to know is, how to get rid of those ads ???

Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 PM

A website owner like this site places those ads for revenue so you can use their services for free in most cases .

You can remove them if you must, there's various methods for blocking them.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
A website owner like this site places those ads for revenue so you can use their services for free in most cases .

Do you know what kind of ads they are? are they just random ads?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
They are definitively NOT random ads, but ads from some company who you did contact before, or was looking at (website type lurking).
I know that, because, I know, that I contacted them for specific information. Every ad that appears, is a familiar company to me, simply because I know/remember looking up that specific website.
Some way or another the crawler knows where I went, and thus places ads from those companies on the side of whatever I am looking at.

Personally, I think those *engines* that can do that, are very smart *engines*.
One day, I was looking for some aluminium tubing, but could not find anything I needed at whatever website I was looking at.
Then in the next few days, ads from other metal suppliers appeared, and I did find what I needed from another source I was not aware of.
So, now, once and a while, similar ads from metal suppliers appear, but I do not pay any attention to them.

Quote:
And they are ... ???
I said, I had no idea on how to get rid of them.
Telling me that there are several ways to accomplish that but not telling me how, does not help at all ...
Care to elaborate ???
FYI, I use Win 7 and Mozilla Firefox.
TIA

Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
No they aren't random, the reason Google ads are so successful is because they aren't random at all. The advertiser can target customers that might be interested in their product. Google even has a spider specifically for adsense. The ads are based primarily on the content of your pages, if your page content is about "blue widgets" the ads served to the user will most likely be about blue widgets or something similar.

I'm not positive if they do but most likely Google may also serve them based on the cookies they have set on the users computer. The user visits a site that is about "blue widgets" that is serving Google ads, Google knows they were interested in Blue Widgets. When the user goes and visits a site about red widgets they might see ads about blue widgets.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No they aren't random, the reason Google ads are so successful is because they aren't random at all. The advertiser can target customers that might be interested in their product. Google even has a spider specifically for adsense. The ads are based primarily on the content of your pages, if your page content is about "blue widgets" the ads served to the user will most likely be about blue widgets or something similar.

I'm not positive if they do but most likely Google may also serve them based on the cookies they have set on the users computer. The user visits a site that is about "blue widgets" that is serving Google ads, Google knows they were interested in Blue Widgets. When the user goes and visits a site about red widgets they might see ads about blue widgets.

Oooooooooh ok, gotcha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet