Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM

18,189 posts, read 16,752,951 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how classical videos get so many hits. Check out the video below. Nothing special yet supposedly over 20 million people viewed this and I know dam well 20 million people didn't click on this piffle. Anybody have any ideas how the owner managed to turn a nothing-video like this into such a monster success?

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 - Andante - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
By placing posts like this in forums all over the Internet?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
It's been on You Tube for almost four years. Personally, I think it's great that it is entertaining so many people, possibly getting younger people interested in classical music.

This video was posted almost five years ago and has even more hits.

Moonlight Sonata - YouTube

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,415,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm wondering how classical videos get so many hits. Check out the video below. Nothing special yet supposedly over 20 million people viewed this and I know dam well 20 million people didn't click on this piffle. Anybody have any ideas how the owner managed to turn a nothing-video like this into such a monster success?

Read the comments, people like listening to it...

Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Look over at the Gutenberg Project and note that Huck Finn and Plato's Republic are in the top 100s. Not everyone on the net is caught up in Justin BB or LadyGooGoo.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 PM

18,189 posts, read 16,752,951 times
I don't doubt it's a great classical piece of music. But there are about 50 recordings of it in one form or another on YT so there's plenty of versions to choose from. Some have been on YT longer than 4 years and they only have 1000 or so hits. This guy/gal is doing something to cause the hits to multiply and it has nothing to do with innocuous posts like this that steer maybe one or two people there. I've read of companies that producers/promoters hire to increase the # of hits but these are usually reserved for the Justin B's and such, not classical pieces that have no commercial value.

No secrets here. I have some original music classical videos on YT and I'd like to do the same thing. I goggled but not much helpful info there from a practical standpoint. I know the person who put this video up doesn't own the copyright so (s)he's not making any money from it. Why would (s)he bother to invest $$$$'s to promote it? You can bet your bottom dollar this video has NOT been viewed over 20 million times legitimately. Not complaining, just mining for info to do the same.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,415,289 times
As a video gets hits, it shows up on featured pages throughout youtube, encouraging more hits, and showing up higher in the search ranks, encouraging more still. It's how youtube works, it's not a conspiracy.

His video might be higher quality, or people might like the title or the thumbnail better. It's a sheeple scenario, we're all guilty of judging books by their covers.

Also, the person who put it up probably is making a SMALL amount of money off of it, he's most likely a youtube partner (unless his other videos suck or are non-existant) and will get a small kickback on ad revenue that youtube gets.

By small I mean very, very small, like $5-10 a month small.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This guy/gal is doing something to cause the hits to multiply and it has nothing to do with innocuous posts like this that steer maybe one or two people there.
Actually those innocuous links would play a very large part in it. One thing search engines rely on to rank sites in their results is links from one site to another, so much so that major sites can get major sums of money from advertisers because so much "link juice" is given. Driving traffic to their site from the link is not what the advertisers are after but instead ranking higher in search engine results. In this way a site can buy their way into higher rankings. Google started combating this by devaluing sites that were providing the links and didn't use the rel="nofollow" on advertisers links.

It's the same thing with the spammers you see in forums like this, they are not necessarily targeting the users to click on the link but instead want to increase their search engine rankings.

In this case who knows but the possibility is that this video is the one people found the best and it's the one linked too most often, you just provided another yourself. Consider it a vote for this page. It will feed on itself because Youtube will promote it as the most popular one etc.

Getting back to the advertising JC Penny got busted for doing this last year around Chritmas:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/bu...arch.html?_r=2

You could imagine a dozen contenders for each of these searches. But in the last several months, one name turned up, with uncanny regularity, in the No. 1 spot for each and every term:

J. C. Penney.

The company bested millions of sites — and not just in searches for dresses, bedding and area rugs. For months, it was consistently at or near the top in searches for “skinny jeans,” “home decor,” “comforter sets,” “furniture” and dozens of other words and phrases, from the blandly generic (“tablecloths”) to the strangely specific (“grommet top curtains”).

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-17-2011 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet