Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times

Advertisements

Also can anyone explain to me what their channel listing site means? There are like 40 packages on the side you can check........which ones are the ones I will be getting? It's very confusing.

| Time Warner Cable | Corporate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Anyone have it? What do you think? We're looking at 30mb/s down internet and the HD DVR TV package, 200+ channels I think?

I don't care about customer service issues. I know, I know, they suck. So does everyone else. I don't care about that, I can handle myself on the phone.

I need to know, is their service RELIABLE? I have VZN FIOS now and it is rock solid. No hiccups all year long...not even once.

How is their TV package? Their site that shows what channels go with what package is pretty terrible and I so I have no idea what channels I'd be getting

If I get a "whole house HD DVR box" does that mean I only need ONE box for the whole house? Their site is pretty hard to understand in that regard.
I like TWC. Granted, I wish my package included a few other channels I'd like to watch - I'd sure drop some of the ones I have in exchange for them. But I don't consider it worth the hassle or expense to upgrade.

My only beef with TWC is the DVR and a few minor issues related to it. It's slow to respond at times when flipping through the guide or list of recorded programs. The video also freezes at times, which sometimes lasts for a few seconds. VERY ANNOYING...but I'm not sure if that's only a TWC thing or if it happens with other providers. The DVR also tends to lock up on me if I try to do things too fast, and has even rebooted itself right as I'm trying to do something. But overall I'm not going to go through the hassles of switching providers just to eliminate those minor annoyances.

BTW...their internet service is reliable, so don't worry about that too much.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Also can anyone explain to me what their channel listing site means? There are like 40 packages on the side you can check........which ones are the ones I will be getting? It's very confusing.

| Time Warner Cable | Corporate
It depends on the package you select when you sign up for them. When you choose a package, it will tell you which channels are included.....so you just have to look at the color codes to figure out what all you will be getting. Not sure if that answers your question...?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
It depends on the package you select when you sign up for them. When you choose a package, it will tell you which channels are included.....so you just have to look at the color codes to figure out what all you will be getting. Not sure if that answers your question...?
I understand the idea of it, but I went all the way up to "confirm your order" and the only thing I see is that I have "over 200 channels" - nothing that says what packages we are granted.

I tried to do an online chat with them but it failed.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
I understand the idea of it, but I went all the way up to "confirm your order" and the only thing I see is that I have "over 200 channels" - nothing that says what packages we are granted.

You could call them and ask them to clarify the channel selections.

That's one thing I can say for TW sales force, they will spend as much time as necessary with you...

Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah, give them a call like plwhit suggested. They'll be able to answer your questions satisfactorily, and don't be afraid to ask them anything. They're usually pretty good about that.

Nevertheless...and don't quote me on this, because I'm in the 45056 zip code and it may be different than what you have where you live...but if I had to guess which channels you're going to get, I'd say it will probably include the dark blue ones (Basic channels), light blue ones, dark green ones, and bright yellow ones. When I signed up, it was for 200 channels also, and those are the ones I got.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
I had TWC for both internet and cable TV. I did have the VoIP for a while but never used the phone so cancelled that. I also cancelled the TV, and only watched braodcast TV and use a DLNA box for movies. Only problem for me was Fox Business channel not available. Finally got DirecTV for $30 month promo with 200+ channels and HD for life (as long as I use auto pay). Plus NFL and all Premium channels for 3 months. Just called to cancel the NFL and Premiums (3 months are up) but wanted to keep Showtime. The let me have it for $8 a month. Also got a Sports pkg for $6 a month < both for a six month promo.

With only TW internet remaining, I did have the 10 meg down with Turbo - 5 meg boost. Read the fine print. The boost is only for the first 10 megs or so of download then reverts to 10 meg max. I finally called TW to reduce my Internet to the 3 meg service when the guy offered me the same 10meg with boost for the same price as the 3 meg. I think TW does this to keep their service reports looking better. That is, a 3 meg service is RoadRunner only... no record of TV. With 10 meg they can leave it as internet and TV. I could hook the cable directly to my TV and still pick up some cable channels... but that would be theft and I have the dTV anyway.

When I did use the DLNA device to stream movies, I could stream uTube at the same time. That is, I would use PC Internet to access movies which my DLNA device accesses from my PC (PlayOn app). While watching that movie I could stream uTube videos as well with no problems. All with the 10 meg download.

I explain that as I want to ask... what is the justification to pay for a 30 meg pipe?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I had TWC for both internet and cable TV. I did have the VoIP for a while but never used the phone so cancelled that. I also cancelled the TV, and only watched braodcast TV and use a DLNA box for movies. Only problem for me was Fox Business channel not available. Finally got DirecTV for $30 month promo with 200+ channels and HD for life (as long as I use auto pay). Plus NFL and all Premium channels for 3 months. Just called to cancel the NFL and Premiums (3 months are up) but wanted to keep Showtime. The let me have it for $8 a month. Also got a Sports pkg for $6 a month < both for a six month promo.

With only TW internet remaining, I did have the 10 meg down with Turbo - 5 meg boost. Read the fine print. The boost is only for the first 10 megs or so of download then reverts to 10 meg max. I finally called TW to reduce my Internet to the 3 meg service when the guy offered me the same 10meg with boost for the same price as the 3 meg. I think TW does this to keep their service reports looking better. That is, a 3 meg service is RoadRunner only... no record of TV. With 10 meg they can leave it as internet and TV. I could hook the cable directly to my TV and still pick up some cable channels... but that would be theft and I have the dTV anyway.

When I did use the DLNA device to stream movies, I could stream uTube at the same time. That is, I would use PC Internet to access movies which my DLNA device accesses from my PC (PlayOn app). While watching that movie I could stream uTube videos as well with no problems. All with the 10 meg download.

I explain that as I want to ask... what is the justification to pay for a 30 meg pipe?
I pay for 5 up. 30 down is thrown in with it.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I pay for 5 up. 30 down is thrown in with it.
Correct.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Well we went ahead and bit the bullet. I got on the horn and a nice lady told me what packages come with my service.

We'll see how it is, its not scheduled to turn on till the 29th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet