Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,786 times

Advertisements

I recently deleted a bunch of friends off of my Facebook. I had 371 just a few days ago and am now down to 241. At my peak, I had over 600. I used to just add whoever had a lot of mutual friends or add people who I had classes with. Then I had sort of an epiphany and realized having a lot of Facebook "friends" isn't important. Plus, I never spoke to a lot of them, so why share my news with people I barely know?

I feel better now though. It was a liberating feel to delete all of those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I have zero since I do not have and never have had a facebook account. I don't consider where I ate dinner or where I went on vacation anybody's business and quite frankly I don't care where anybody else ate dinner, what they got little johnny for his third birthday or to see pictures of their dog. Even worse, I can't stand all of the drama BS everybody keeps stirred up on facebook. I don't even like to hear others talking about it and when it starts I usually wander off and find something else to do.

Btw, you don't have 300 "friends." You might have 300 acquaintances that look at the crap each other posts just to be nosy and gossip about each other but really, who cares?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Less than 50. They are my real friends, not some celebrities or web pages. I had few more, but I eliminated them when they started to post their daily diary. I am not interested to know every minute of their life. Few others were eliminated because they posted... junk or stuff they should keep private. Didn't want their embarrassing posts on my FB.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I have zero since I do not have and never have had a facebook account. I don't consider where I ate dinner or where I went on vacation anybody's business and quite frankly I don't care where anybody else ate dinner, what they got little johnny for his third birthday or to see pictures of their dog. Even worse, I can't stand all of the drama BS everybody keeps stirred up on facebook. I don't even like to hear others talking about it and when it starts I usually wander off and find something else to do.

Btw, you don't have 300 "friends." You might have 300 acquaintances that look at the crap each other posts just to be nosy and gossip about each other but really, who cares?

Exactly. I don't "do" facebook either. Zero friends. (Actually I have a bogus facebook account that I use to post on online newspapers as that is the only way those papers accept online comments.)

It's particularly impersonal now that every business has it's "Visit us on Facebook" message. Preparation H | Facebook

Facebook is something those who are addicted to their smart phones can do instead of watching their own kids play soccer, just like this mom doing is at my kid's soccer game (this is for real).

Facebook is to City Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:02 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra
I have zero.....
I also have ZERO and im quite happy about that!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Facebook is to City Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel.
How so?

Facebook is what you make of it. If you use it for news, family chatter, whatever..... then that's what it is.

Sure, if you friend everyone you knew in high school, you're going to see FB as some useless thing because you don't CARE about the stuff they post.

I'm FB friends with my real life friends and people I've met through forums that I participate in, I cherish them and it's nice to have that port of communication open to us.

I must just be an immature kid with some sort of attention-whoring complex

To answer the OP, I don't know, and I'm not particularly in the mood to go check. It doesn't matter to me how many friends I have. Quantity =/= quality.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
[singing] Zeeerro [/singing]

Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
None, but I have been coerced by family members to friend them. It saves me opening emails containing attachment of all their birthday party and summer vacation photos.

Actually, I probably have a few actual real world friends who are on Facebook, but I don't know who they are.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 AM

14 posts, read 23,161 times
i agree with u.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I think I have somewhere in the realm of 270-something. Haven't checked in a while. Thing is, I'm involved with a number of community events and have made a LOOOT of friends over the years that I keep in contact with for various reasons - some to chat with and hangout, some to bounce costume ideas off of, etc. And yes, I do know each of them personally - I rarely add someone I've never actually met in-person before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet