Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times

Advertisements

I just got a notification to upload a Firefox 9.0.1 update. When I clicked on it, I got a box that said some add-ons are incompatible, and will be uploaded later. It listed StartNow Toolbar, which is notorious malware that is very hard to get rid of, and I was not aware that I had it. It's not listed in my start button file search. I sure as hell don't want it uploaded later. There doesn't seem to be any way to delete it from the list of incompatible add-ons.

Is this a genuine Firefox update, or is it StartNow trying to load their crap into my computer by increasingly devious means?

How can I check and see if this malware is actually in my computer now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 PM

Further googling on the subject, is seems that an extraordinary number of users have found that the new Firefox 9.0.1 doesn't work and keeps crashing. Maybe I'll just ignore it until the issues are resolved.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,438,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Further googling on the subject, is seems that an extraordinary number of users have found that the new Firefox 9.0.1 doesn't work and keeps crashing. Maybe I'll just ignore it until the issues are resolved.
I have had no such problems upgrading to or stability with FF 9.0.1. I also suspect that you could find similar 'horror stories' with every upgrade. It is never the fault of whatelse is on their computer, its the new version of whatever.

there is always IE

Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,130,956 times
FF every few days giving me a pop-up to upgrade to 9. My biggest fear is my add-ons will be incompatible and will wait a bit longer.

Also toying with the idea of checking out Chrome..

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM

I hope you understood the main thrust, that Firefox 9 is threatening to upload a malware addon that I don't want, and put it in my start menu. And there doesn't seem to be any procedure to tell it not to. I can't find any evidence that that malware is in my computer now.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I hope you understood the main thrust, that Firefox 9 is threatening to upload a malware addon that I don't want, and put it in my start menu. And there doesn't seem to be any procedure to tell it not to. I can't find any evidence that that malware is in my computer now.
When was the last time you ran a full system scan with up-to-date defs?

What do you use for AV, malware and trojan detection now?

If you run Windows I suggest you run Microsoft Security Essentials:

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

A second safety check scanner would be Malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

If I were you I'd be more concerned my system being infected then an issue with FF and add-ons...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,438,103 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like it was saying it detected this add-on, which at this time is not compatible, but would upload it when a compatible version becomes available.

I received no such message when upgrading on any of my machines.

I think you need to take the advise above and do some scanning.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,602,556 times
I've used FF 9.0.1 for weeks now on this Windows 7 machine and it hasn't crashed once. But then again, unlike some reviews I've read, I don't have 10 or more(!) tabs open at once, where there could be multiple instances of Flash running, some tabs running Java or other processor-intensive software. And the number of add-ons that are activated could also effect FF's performance for some people, not to mention that the add-on itself could be designed badly and that could be what is causing the browser to act funky.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
When was the last time you ran a full system scan with up-to-date defs?

What do you use for AV, malware and trojan detection now?

If you run Windows I suggest you run Microsoft Security Essentials:

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

A second safety check scanner would be Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

If I were you I'd be more concerned my system being infected then an issue with FF and add-ons...
Malwarebytes about two weeks ago, it reported clean. Everyday its AVG.

Just loaded and ran Microsoft Security Essentials, and no items were detected.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-08-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Malwarebytes about two weeks ago, it reported clean. Everyday its AVG.
After seeing the OP I updated to FF 9.

Outside of a couple of add-ons that weren't compatible I haven't had a bit of problems with it.

FWIW I checked my addons and no Startnow.

Possibly it was installed by some other software you've installed recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet