Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

I suddenly have a huge amount of spam coming into my business e-mail address. I have been careful about where I use it but being a contact e-mail I have to use it in advertising/on my website.

The problem is it is all coming from someone who uses "wizmind@" with variable domain names. Of course there are no links to unsubscribe from these unwanted messages.

I am using outlook and they go to my junk e-mail directly OK but In the last 24 hours I have received over 10 spams from this same sender.

Is there any way to get this stopped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Consider yourself lucky that you have only received 10. Somehow I got on a list last month and I can get 10 an hour. Outlook is working overtime to filter the spam. If it doesn't let up, I may look at changing my email address (ughs)

Old 01-21-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Consider yourself lucky that you have only received 10. Somehow I got on a list last month and I can get 10 an hour. Outlook is working overtime to filter the spam. If it doesn't let up, I may look at changing my email address (ughs)
Are they coming from the same "Name" Wizmind@" " ? I am trying to figure out how I got on the mailing list.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I suddenly have a huge amount of spam coming into my business e-mail address. I have been careful about where I use it but being a contact e-mail I have to use it in advertising/on my website.

The problem is it is all coming from someone who uses "wizmind@" with variable domain names. Of course there are no links to unsubscribe from these unwanted messages.

I am using outlook and they go to my junk e-mail directly OK but In the last 24 hours I have received over 10 spams from this same sender.

It's a bit late for you this time, but, if I have to post an email address on the Web for business, I always use a secondary address, like info@ or sales@, etc. They're so generic that if they get spammed I can disable the account and create new one.

You should never publish your primary email online.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:

Contact your ISP to ask for a block on "wizmind@".

Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM

119 posts, read 226,586 times
Depending upon who you use for E-Mail, the big names (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, ETC) should all have a feature for you to block addresses. You'll have to go to the actual E-Mail website (NOT outlook) and enter the mail address into there on a "blocked" or "filter" list. Gmail allows you to automatically delete anything coming from a specific address.

I know, you're about to say "But WAIT, they come from Wizmind@ all sorts of different endings!!" That's where your friend the wildcard comes in. Add Wizmind@*.* to that list. Asterisks are a wildcard meaning "anything goes here" so with that one addition you'll be blocking everything from Wizmund@:

spammer . net
spammer . com
superspam . com
superspam . net

And on down the line. Again most of the big E-Mail providers will have this option and be smart enough to block using wildcards. Once it's either blocked or filtered directly to the garbage before outlook downloads it.

Last edited by Viking Tech Solutions; 01-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 01-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the tip Viking!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I prefer cruel revenge on spammers, so I usually do the following:
1. Try to Reply and see if the "reply-to" address is different. The "Reply-to" is usually the real address and I write down the domain name. Foo@bar.com, I would write down bar.com
2. I send "spam" back to the reply-to address out of spite. I send the emails one by one...maybe 10 or so and either pretend to be interested or simply copy the original email and let them know how much they suck. At least one email is usually my informing them that unsolicited email for economic gain is a crime, and I am going to report them to the government and/or their registrar.
3. I review the message in text form to get any URL's.
4. I do a whois lookup on an online registrar and get the resgistrar information for the website and/or email URLs. I contact the registrars and I complain and ask them to block the user's account for spam.
5. I contact the FTC and make a complaint on their website. Spam is a freaking crime and I won't stand for it!
6. If the spammer is stupid enough to have a real email account at "yahoo" or "gmail", I report the account to gmail or whatever and ask them to discontinue the user's account.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 AM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I prefer cruel revenge on spammers, so I usually do the following:
1. Try to Reply and see if the "reply-to" address is different. The "Reply-to" is usually the real address and I write down the domain name. Foo@bar.com, I would write down bar.com
2. I send "spam" back to the reply-to address out of spite. I send the emails one by one...maybe 10 or so and either pretend to be interested or simply copy the original email and let them know how much they suck. At least one email is usually my informing them that unsolicited email for economic gain is a crime, and I am going to report them to the government and/or their registrar.
Bad idea, 99% of the email addresses used in the "reply-to" or "from" lines are fake, spoofed, forged, hacked or they use a disposable email address they never bother to check, sending back your own spam is ridiculous and a waste of your time and resources. Most of the time doing this results in your own junk mail bouncing back to you as undeliverable or "unknown user" so you wind up spamming yourself.
Sending this mail also tells the spammer your email is VALID too.

People in Russia, Mumbai or whereever are going to LAUGH at the "crime" you cite because US laws don't apply to foreign countries any more than a law in South Africa affects you.

I got a spam from info.sibm1961@gmail.com with an attached .DOC but sent to "undisclosed recipients" in the header, meaning it was mass junk mail, it asked me to look over the purchase order and verify the prices quoted to them for my "products" last year were still valid, LOL, I'm not that stupid as to open that
But some fool at some company WILL open that...

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Quote:

Putting an email address on your web site in any kind of clear text or link is a big mistake, any use of the mail-to formated code and even munged addresses such as:

info @ mycompany.com
info AT mycompany DOT com
etc are likewise a big mistake, the robots know how to get around all those little tricks.

The best way to eliminate it is with php, I use a two step method that eliminates spam 100% from my web sites.

First you download and install the feedback form:

Quote:
CHFEEDBACK.PHP Feedback Form PHP Script Ver 2.16.8
Generated by thesitewizard.com's Feedback Form Wizard 2.16.8.
Copyright 2000-2013 by Christopher Heng. All rights reserved.
thesitewizard is a trademark of Christopher Heng.

Get the latest version, free, from:

Free Feedback Form Wizard: Free Customized Feedback Form Script for Your Website (thesitewizard.com)
Since it uses php, your configuration is never shown on the browser even if someone looks at thge source code for the pages they will never see your email address or where the form goes

Secondly, they have to provide an email address in the form otherwise it silently fails.

The second step I use is I have my sites configured to require a user name and a password to even access that feedback/contact form page at all, it's a standard include all web site control panels offer to password protect a page or even a whole directory. Once that's set, I put the user name and password right on the pages for the visitor to use.
Now at first you may wonder why put a user and password right on the page, doesn't that defeat the whole idea?

Nope! here's why: robots can't figure out the instructions, it takes a human manually entering the two values to even get to the form page at all, so it doesn't matter that these values are displayed or how simple they are, you can use a name/password like:

user: client PW:contact

Also, the beauty of php includes is, you can generate a little page with the instructions and that user/pw combination, save it, and then in all of your web pages you simple add the little php include code line where you want that to appear, and your contact form link, instructions, user and PW info appear on every page. Moreover, if you need or want to change the user/PW values you only need to change that ONE file- since it's an "include" on all the other web pages you have, it automatically displays the changed version.

The include code is real simple, if the file name is named file.php this line will display the entire contents of that file on any web page it's inserted into, of course the pages you insert this into need to be .php not .html:

Quote:
<?php include 'file.php'; ?>

So what kind of "instructions" am I speaking of? it only needs to be clear to visitors, something like:

"to contact us via email, popups must be enabled in your browser, click the link and enter this user name and password shown below in the form to continue:

USER: client
PASSWORD: contact"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet