U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 PM

18 posts, read 42,345 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I currently have comcast internet and was debating the switch to DSL. I've heard the good and the bad to DSL, but I was hoping to get a few more opinions. Is DSL a lot slower than comcast? Or not much of a difference? The main uses I have for internet is just research, schoolwork, email, and the kids play games online (xbox/playstation).

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,756,299 times
I would think you might get better answers if you ask this question to other people who live in your locale.

In South Texas I can tell you what I know about DSL (sucks) but DSL might work wonderfully where you live.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM

492 posts, read 1,317,676 times
I get 10+Mbps with my Comcast cable, here is info about DSL
DSL Speed - How Fast Is DSL?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 2,754,641 times
Cable internet is potentially much faster than DSL. I say potentially because the speed you get will vary based upon how many people are using it at any given time. DSL provides a direct line from the telephone switching station to your home. You are the only connection on that line, so your speed is constant.

Cable internet provides bandwidth to a branch---which may include ten or twelve of your neighbors. There is more available bandwidth, but the total available bandwidth being distributed to each branch will be divided among those online at the time.

I switched from Centurylink DSL to Comcast cable (in Minneapolis). My personal experience in comparing the two, is that the cable connection is consistently much faster--often six to eight times faster as judged by online speed tests.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,493,875 times
I have had both. DSL is slower but depends what you do whether you will notice it much. Alot of downloading and you will notice it.Just average person looking up things on interent ;proably not.I have time warner turbo and previously ATT DSL. Never had problem with either but cable is faster especailly in downloads.Just like dialup the telephone system quailty in your area can make a difference as to speed.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,640,645 times
I really boils down to "bang for the buck".

DSL peaks at about 6M, if you are close enough to a CO.
Cable can handle 100M (if your provider offers it) I pay 19.99/month for 15/3 from Charter.
DSL can't touch that speed, and while AT&T Uverse comes close, it costs 4x to 5x more for comparable service.

And my cable is 100% reliable (I know others will be willing to post horror stories), I haven't had an outage in probably 3 years (and then it was due to a winter storm that shut the whole area down)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet