U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 PM
 
Location: in my mind
5,159 posts, read 7,794,279 times
Reputation: 10481

Advertisements

I currently have a broadband card in my laptop and use Comcast 4G for internet.

I get very good speeds and quality with this.

I am wondering if anything will change if I switch to the internet connection that would require using a wireless router in my home.

Should I expect similar speeds? Comcast offers different download speeds - 1.5Mbps, 6Mbps, 20Mbps, 30Mbps - which would be similar to my 4G?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 5,110,914 times
Reputation: 1209
Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run a test, then post it here.

Generally, any "wired" solution will beat out a mobile network in latency and overall download and upload speeds.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
443 posts, read 844,324 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run a test, then post it here.

Generally, any "wired" solution will beat out a mobile network in latency and overall download and upload speeds.
This. Most likely 30Mbps would be similar.

It depends what your cable speeds are (most "4G" should top out at about 50/60 Mbps) and Comcast's fastest speed for now is 105Mbps.

Also note that if you want to use it as a replacement for a wired home connection Comcast caps data at 250 gigabytes per month whereas most mobile plans will allow 10 gigs or less - after that you usually pay an overage or have your speeds reduced.

Which 4G provider are you comparing against?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,021,448 times
Reputation: 12896
I believe the OP is comparing Xfinity Internet 2go to Xfinity Internet. Xfinity Internet is a lot faster than Xfinity Internet 2go unless you choose the economy tiers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: in my mind
5,159 posts, read 7,794,279 times
Reputation: 10481
Ok, I went to speedtest.net and here is what it told me:

download speed 1.34 Mbps
upload speed 0.73 Mbps

I guess that means it is about the equivalent of the "economy" level of Comcast (1.5 Mbps)

I am using Comcast 4G right now - a broadband card in my laptop. It has unlimited usage afaik - unless there is a limit and I've never exceeded it.

I'm considering getting a desktop and an Ipad/tablet at some point - so if I did that, I would not be able to use a single broadband card in them - I would need to have a wireless router giving me a signal throughout my home.

Before I make such a switch, I wanted to make sure that the speed would be equivalent or better than my 4G card, since I want to watch TV/movies on-line.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: in my mind
5,159 posts, read 7,794,279 times
Reputation: 10481
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I believe the OP is comparing Xfinity Internet 2go to Xfinity Internet. Xfinity Internet is a lot faster than Xfinity Internet 2go unless you choose the economy tiers.
you are correct!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM
 
24,497 posts, read 39,021,448 times
Reputation: 12896
I have Xfinity Performance tier and I get 26.81 Mbps down and 3.94 Mbps down. These numbers will vary by location but it will be a lot faster than what you have now.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
443 posts, read 844,324 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Ok, I went to speedtest.net and here is what it told me:

download speed 1.34 Mbps
upload speed 0.73 Mbps

I guess that means it is about the equivalent of the "economy" level of Comcast (1.5 Mbps)

I am using Comcast 4G right now - a broadband card in my laptop. It has unlimited usage afaik - unless there is a limit and I've never exceeded it.

I'm considering getting a desktop and an Ipad/tablet at some point - so if I did that, I would not be able to use a single broadband card in them - I would need to have a wireless router giving me a signal throughout my home.

Before I make such a switch, I wanted to make sure that the speed would be equivalent or better than my 4G card, since I want to watch TV/movies on-line.
You should be fine.

I watched movies off Netflix and YouTube video in 720p on a 6Mbps connection, which was undoable on a 1.5Mbps connection, so anything above 6Mbps will be fine for video .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: in my mind
5,159 posts, read 7,794,279 times
Reputation: 10481
thanks everyone for the feedback !!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top