Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times

Advertisements

I used to know the ins and outs of computers, less about the internet, but nowadays I know practically nothing. So, I am wondering if I am the only one who is stuck with Yahoo! as my search engine, my home page now, and my email? I LIKED Google search, I LIKED BellSouth email. But I'm telling you, it's the news they think is fit to print that is driving me right straight up a wall.

I have tried to contact Yahoo! forever concerning the mal-quality of their news, and not only that, their comment section is overrun with literally a bunch of terrorists who hate Americans, hate Israel, hate President Obama! If any news story pertains to the President, people come on there and say some really awful things, some X-rated, and apparently Yahoo! is totally oblivious to this. But I cannot get through to Yahoo! to tell them this. You have to POST a complaint in some backroom board, when a window pops up and tells you to add more interest to your complaint... I mean, whatssup with THAT?

Okay. I've said what's wrong with Yahoo! Maybe a better question would be, where is a GOOD home page, with NORMAL news, who can take my regular old BellSouth email address, and that I can actually email a complaint or suggestion to when it's acting strange? I used to be with BellSouth, that is my internet connection, been my email forever almost, and Google was the search engine. NOW I HAVE NOTHING. I do not like where my home page is, and so I'm wondering if you all have suggestions. Thank you for my harrangutan. GG P.S. Edit: I think a more accurate title for my post would have been, "Anybody else notice Yahoo! is getting strange?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
No offense but you are stuck in the 90's, lol. Google is a lot more powerful internet entity than yahoo. Yahoo is in a bit of trouble and has been steadily losing ground. Google on the other hand looks like it's on the brink of world domination. Google is by far and away the dominant one. 900,000,000 visitors a month vs Yahoo's 160,000,000

2011 - Google ranked 1st with 900,000,000 monthly visitors
Bing was 2nd with 165,000,000
Yahoo was just 3rd at 160,000,000 monthly visitors

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Uh no, never notice anything strange about Yahoo. The only time I even see the name Yahoo is in some search results from a Goggle search.

My browser home page is Foxtab displaying The BBC, The Post, Slashdot, The Register, Xinhau and Diehipster. My email reader is Thunderbird.

What I don't understand is why you expended so much effort on even talking about it.

Last edited by plwhit; 03-05-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Exclamation AOL-think

It seems to me that GIGIMAC is laboring under the mis-apprehension that their Home Page, Search Engine, and Mailreader must all be from the same outfit. That's AOL-think.

My Home Page = blank, my bookmarked search engine is Google, email and news reader is Thunderbird. Browser = Firefox.

For general news, try CNN, MSNBC, local TV stations, local newspaper sites. Any one of which could be your Home Page if you like.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,403 times
Or you could use netvibes and create your own home page. I use the free version, and have my local TV News feeds on one side, local weather, a calender, a cartoon feed, a 'nature picture of the day', my local craigslist search, my eBay watch list, and my twitter feed all on my start page. On a separate tab, I have all my RSS feeds.

Google has a function like this also, it's called iGoogle.

You are not stuck with Yahoo. Log out. Be free . . . .

Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
You have other options from Yahoo as others have mentioned. But I don't think you'd find much better in the comment section. Half of the US population hate the other half of Americans, hate Isreal and/or hate Obama.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the positive assistance to me, I'm going to especially check out iGoogle.

Ankkharu, I'm stuck in the Sixties, thank you very much. I KNOW Google is better, but now I realize it's becuz my home page is associated with Yahoo! that I've been stuck with their awful stuff.

Plwhit, you asked how come I took all this time to ask, and the answer is same reason you took all the time to answer.

NJBest, I find nothing better about the Yahoo! News comment section that is unmoderated, is filled with hate-filled foul-mouthed anti-everything people. But glad you got your niche.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
You can change your homepage in the Tools section of any browser.

You can remove the Yahoo (and any other) toolbar using add/remove programs

You can sign up for an email address with a number of other companies - just remember to wean your contacts over to it before dumping Yahoo email

You can change your default search engine

There is no reason to have anything associate with Yahoo on your computer. If I see anything "Yahoo" on my computer it gets deleted.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM

Rancho, Reed and TechFreek, great ideas too. I appreciate all of you so much. I feel very edubi-cated now!!! Smiles. GG

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I used to know the ins and outs of computers, less about the internet, but nowadays I know practically nothing. So, I am wondering if I am the only one who is stuck with Yahoo! as my search engine, my home page now, and my email? I LIKED Google search, I LIKED BellSouth email. But I'm telling you, it's the news they think is fit to print that is driving me right straight up a wall.

I have tried to contact Yahoo! forever concerning the mal-quality of their news, and not only that, their comment section is overrun with literally a bunch of terrorists who hate Americans, hate Israel, hate President Obama! If any news story pertains to the President, people come on there and say some really awful things, some X-rated, and apparently Yahoo! is totally oblivious to this. But I cannot get through to Yahoo! to tell them this. You have to POST a complaint in some backroom board, when a window pops up and tells you to add more interest to your complaint... I mean, whatssup with THAT?

Okay. I've said what's wrong with Yahoo! Maybe a better question would be, where is a GOOD home page, with NORMAL news, who can take my regular old BellSouth email address, and that I can actually email a complaint or suggestion to when it's acting strange? I used to be with BellSouth, that is my internet connection, been my email forever almost, and Google was the search engine. NOW I HAVE NOTHING. I do not like where my home page is, and so I'm wondering if you all have suggestions. Thank you for my harrangutan. GG P.S. Edit: I think a more accurate title for my post would have been, "Anybody else notice Yahoo! is getting strange?"

lately when downloading reading material certain search engines seem to try to "force" you to download them...I cannot stand this, and alot of them have FB apps, I dislike FB ...this is very annoying...I want to read my choices that I type in not miscellaneous spam...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet