Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

www.osnews.com/story/25718

Quote:
You have just bought tickets to an exotic vacation spot. You board the flight, you land safely, you pull your netbook from your backpack, fire it up, and then check if there are any available Wireless networks. Indeed there are, unencrypted, passwordless, waiting for you. So you connect to the most convenient hotspot and start surfing. Being addicted as you are, you want to login into your email or social network just to check if something cardinal happened in the world during your four-hour flight. You're about to hit the sign in button. Stop. What you're about to do might not be safe. [more]
Quite true!!!

Who knows if these networks might be setup by feds to watch your every move,etc....... (Ya must be very careful)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:23 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Feds are the least of your problems here, it's far more likely the open networks are set up to steal your personal information/ account credentials.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Feds are the least of your problems here, it's far more likely the open networks are set up to steal your personal information/ account credentials.
Exactly, and this can happen anywhere that you use an open network; the coffee shop, airport, fast food place, your neighbors house, etc.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
When I was looking at the first link, I noticed an ad called IronKey:

Might be worth looking at.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
When I was looking at the first link, I noticed an ad called IronKey:

Might be worth looking at.
What does an encrypted Flash drive have to do with connecting and utilizing an unsecured WAP?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Corrected to reflect real life:

You just bought tickets to an exotic vacation spot. You board the flight, you land safely, and you would pull your netbook from your backpack,

but you left it at home because you are on vacation. If you need to check your social network you will do so from the safety of the hotel internet cafe/business center, and you will do so at your leisure.

O wait, your 16 yr old son brought his?
Well he can damn well wait til we get to the hotel to even open the thing up. First, we have to go wait for our luggage, then get to the rental car booth to get our car, or go wait in line to grab a taxi. Now we still have to get across town and check into the hotel before it gets to late and we can make the pool and hopefully an early dinner seating.

Sorry, but if you are the 1% that might actually do anything in that first paragraph, you deserve to get robbed.
Just someone trying to write an article to scare you into reading it.

Move along. Nothing more to see here...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
How to remain safe on the road

Quite true!!!

Who knows if these networks might be setup by feds to watch your every move,etc....... (Ya must be very careful)
You're worried about the feds? The realistic problem is "hackers" (for the lack of a better term) that are interested in stealing your information.

VPN is your friend in these scenarios.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're worried about the feds? The realistic problem is "hackers" (for the lack of a better term) that are interested in stealing your information.

VPN is your friend in these scenarios.
VPN's are great for securing connections to other sites. But does nothing to protect the laptop itself, which is now connected to this strange network.

Fact, people use weak to useless passwords.
Fact, people "name" their computer with personal information.
Fact, the administrative share is unknown, unseen by most users, but it's always there. (Can be disabled but only through editing the registry.)

Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
....and you would pull your netbook from your backpack,

but you left it at home because you are on vacation.
I was just about to write the exact same thing.

If I'm in an exotic location, the last thing I'm concerned with is the internet e.g. making sure the 857 "friends" on a social networking site are kept up-to-date on my doings or that I know who won on American Idol last night.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
I was just about to write the exact same thing.

If I'm in an exotic location, the last thing I'm concerned with is the internet e.g. making sure the 857 "friends" on a social networking site are kept up-to-date on my doings or that I know who won on American Idol last night.
While the original article uses the vacation example, everything there pertains to connecting to any connection that you don't know (especially insecure ones), and using any public computer.

But yea I agree, I when I'm on vacation, I don't even want to have internet access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet