Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times

Advertisements

So, why does mine say Firefox 12.0?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
12 is the current release version.

3.6, while it has been updated, is a fairly old version (It was originally released in January 2010).

Old 05-07-2012, 04:38 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Still using Firefox 3.6? I guess if you are still using Windows 98.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Maybe because you're up to date?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM

I wanted the company I work for to go to Linux. No go.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I wanted the company I work for to go to Linux. No go.
~ Did you go to management with a detailed proposal on the benefits?

~ Did you present a migration plan?

~ Training and support plan for the entire company?

~ Did you have a compatibility matrix of the applications your company utilizes?

~ The costs involved in migrating to the company?

Which of the couple of hundred Linux distro's out there did you suggest?

Last edited by plwhit; 05-09-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Nope. I'm just an idea guy who figured somebody in charge would discus this to the tech people who would then talk about pluses and minuses. I then figured after a brief "blow off" that it would be too much trouble.

Later one, I suggested a cloud while the Linux idea, and blending the Linux idea with a cloud while the problems were worked out. No go. Guess I'm not one to suggest ideas...

While I can envision that there are hiccups in the system, I didn't see why it would be that big of a problem. Maybe it would be too much money and effort?

The system we used was a lot more problematic in the first place, when they made their first program change. The program is now completely different from the program that now exists. The problem, should they attempt it, would be a matter of fitting Linux to the current program. I'm not good enough to debate the above list, mostly because I don't believe I'm qualified to attack it.

That is, if I can just ask them to mull the list you posted above. There is really nothing wrong with the system except for the fact that it is not fast enough. Hypothetically, a faster system could make us more efficient. One hitch is that the tech people are a bit lazy when it comes to keeping the system in top shape, but that is just my opinion. I don't really know what goes on back there, to be honest.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
The problem, should they attempt it, would be a matter of fitting Linux to the current program. I'm not good enough to debate the above list, mostly because I don't believe I'm qualified to attack it.
I have no idea what "current program" you are speaking of that your company uses but if it is something that must be used and is custom made for your company and is designed to run on a Windows OS, then that could be a major problem if you tried to migrate it to a Linux OS. You don't "fit Linux to the current program." Linux is an OS, so you would have to "fit" your program to Linux, which could involve a heavy rewrite of the program depending upon what if any OS resources it uses. Then again, it could be as simple as recompiling it on a Linux machine or then again if it is a Language such as Java that runs on a Virtual Machine it could be fairly portable and not much problem at all.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
That is, if I can just ask them to mull the list you posted above. There is really nothing wrong with the system except for the fact that it is not fast enough. Hypothetically, a faster system could make us more efficient. One hitch is that the tech people are a bit lazy when it comes to keeping the system in top shape, but that is just my opinion. I don't really know what goes on back there, to be honest.
NFN, what you are asking them to do is a considerable amount of research, man hours and work.

When proposing something to management you just gotta have your ducks in a row not just "hypothetically you think it'll be better/faster"

Speed is subjective, what will the ROI be?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks, Ya'll. I made a suggestion based upon a previous chat that the tech end had dropped the ball. The tech end of it wasn't doing their job. I reminded a supervisor about an earlier chat between the supervisor some years ago in which there was some give and take. Supervisor said how about a two second lag. Tech guy said how about an eight second lag and so forth. Tech guy said that's as fast as I can make it.

Apparently we are back to speed. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet