Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 AM

65 posts, read 116,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Someone's in denial. PC's are hacked more than Mac's simply because that's where the most damage can be done, because most folks use PC's.......
Denial, about what? Oh please don't tell me your one of those people that is going to go off about the 3 virus that are created each year for Macs verses the 3,000 that are created for PCs an say ... 'They are still vulnerable'. Honestly TRN, I was once in the Mac denial camp, and outgrew it. Being an IT professional for 20 years has given me the insight to know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,960,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfalco View Post
Denial, about what? Oh please don't tell me your one of those people that is going to go off about the 3 virus that are created each year for Macs verses the 3,000 that are created for PCs an say ... 'They are still vulnerable'. Honestly TRN, I was once in the Mac denial camp, and outgrew it. Being an IT professional for 20 years has given me the insight to know better.
Right, if you're a "IT professional" then how about posting something more substantial than made-up stats about viruses!

This is the real reason PC are the target of more viruses than Macs...

And a little more "truth" for ya!

Quote:
It’s no secret; Microsoft dominates the world’s operating systems market. The reason for this domination is simply because; Microsoft designed its operating systems to be compatible with various hardware created by a wide range of computer companies such as Dell, IBM, hp, and Sony, etc.

In the other hand, Apple designed its software for close integration of computer hardware and software, which means it’s not compatible with other computer hardware.

To put it in easier terms; Microsoft sold it’s operating systems to various computer companies, allowing a broad distribution for its operating systems. As a result, Microsoft is more popular than other operating systems in the market. In the mean while, Apple has strictly designed their operating system to fit perfectly in their own hardware.
So it's easy to understand why few viruses target Macs, and why Mac fanatics will always spout about how much better their computers are.

My question always is, if that's so true than why does Apple have such a pathetically low segment of the home computer market?

And a "IT professional" took my order at Starbucks this morning, so color me unimpressed. I have a grad degree in IT and chose to avoid that field and got into one that isn't so oversaturated and which offers real opportunities for advancement!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

952 posts, read 2,630,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Right, if you're a "IT professional" then how about posting something more substantial than made-up stats about viruses!

So it's easy to understand why few viruses target Macs, and why Mac fanatics will always spout about how much better their computers are.

My question always is, if that's so true than why does Apple have such a pathetically low segment of the home computer market?

And a "IT professional" took my order at Starbucks this morning, so color me unimpressed. I have a grad degree in IT and chose to avoid that field and got into one that isn't so oversaturated and which offers real opportunities for advancement!
maybe because the average home users are already used to the Windows environment and are afraid to transition over to having a MAC?

I am a Windows and Linux girl all the way!!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 PM

520 posts, read 780,468 times
I usually steer clear of OS religious arguments since they are typically the domain of 14 year olds.

'This' IT professional has worked in the field for 17 years. In Defense, manufacturing, and for the past 9+ years at a major university. I am moving to San Antonio as a Linux SysAdmin contractor on federal systems. I won't be serving you coffee at Starbucks.

I was a Mac hater until 6 years ago and I will not go back to Windows for my home systems. Simply put, I am paid to keep my servers running in top form, not to tinker, tweak, and wipe/reload the machine I use to do my job (same reason I don't use Linux on the desktop - too much tinkering). If that is your thing then Windows or Linux is your OS. Personally, the time I've saved made the switch worth it for me, the BSD/NextSTEP architecture also makes it easier to test things in a POSIX (MacPorts for the win) environment.

@majormadmax - Yes, market share plays a part in the profusion of malware written for Windows v. OSX but that market share really only has to do with cost rather than any kind of functional superiority. I will say that OSX IS more secure than Windows. This is due to its roots in POSIX based systems which were designed from the ground up to be multiuser and with security in mind, whereas in Windows it was tacked on (Win 3.1 for Workgroups, anyone?). While current versions are much more secure than previous ones it could be much more secure if it wasn't for the legacy code that MS maintains for backward compatibility.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 PM

7,123 posts, read 11,806,955 times
I'm not a "Mac hater" - but when I see BS that gets posted about Macs being "safer" from hack attacks, sorry - I'm gonna react. Tried a Mac several times, just didn't like it. To each their own - just don't try to tell me how much "safer" they are from hackers.....it's kinda like sayin' the car down the street is safer from theft because it's a '74 Pinto with superior anti-theft devices.....fact is, NO ONE WANTS IT. With Macs, it's simply because the net effect of a hack attack won't be nearly as substantial as one on PC's due to significantly fewer users.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,868,392 times
Macs are better for many reasons. Popularity is not an accurate gauge of quality. I however prefer a Windows machine like many others especially since I have no graphic intense labor to perform. If I did I would only use a Mac since is it a superior machine. Not a fanboy so no tears if you disagree.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM

332 posts, read 528,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfalco View Post
Honestly. Get a Mac and get rid of the PC. It was the best choice I ever made. You'll never have to worry about a virus again.
ill bet you just love overpaying for all that shiny intel hardware that your mac is running off of, right?

back on topic:

OP, how did it go? any bugs found?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

this guy's going to be really scared if he ever learns how fast os X was compromised at apple by unix nerds working there.

the thing is, since apple is running on that fancy mach-bsd hybrid kernel, youre now susceptible to being rooted, not infected with a virus. you will never know if a black hat roots you unless you are a security guy with tons of unix experience.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm not a "Mac hater" - but when I see BS that gets posted about Macs being "safer" from hack attacks, sorry - I'm gonna react. Tried a Mac several times, just didn't like it. To each their own - just don't try to tell me how much "safer" they are from hackers.....it's kinda like sayin' the car down the street is safer from theft because it's a '74 Pinto with superior anti-theft devices.....fact is, NO ONE WANTS IT. With Macs, it's simply because the net effect of a hack attack won't be nearly as substantial as one on PC's due to significantly fewer users.
macs arent safer. if anything, to this former-blackhat-turned-whitehat, they are way more dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced. since they run on a hybrid unix kernel, they are more susceptible to roots and exploits that other computers arent.

when os x came out, there was an internal(apple internal that is) contest with a rich reward for the team who could root the os x machine we had set up from outside our internal network. the machine was rooted in less than 24 hours.

your mac is not nearly as safe as you think it is.

my experience comes from admin'ing multiple class a worldwide networks that have security that makes most government systems look like junk. i am also published on bugtraq/securityfocus.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM

16,511 posts, read 19,617,635 times
OMG I am going to lose it. Would you both just shut the... I will not swear I will not swear... just STOP.

You are both being ridiculous. How did a "I may have a virus thread" turn into the same old sorry... MS v APPLE debate AGAIN???
Hey Lord Falco: "Just throw it out and get a Mac" is really NOT an appropriate or helpful reply when someone wants to troubleshoot the computer they own.
mm'Kay?
Isn't there a stickied thread somewhere about stopping this crap somewhere??
So sick of it....

To the OP: CyVaquero is right. TWC is trying to HELP you instead of just flat out disconnecting you. Which is what some ISP's do. Or you will just start getting blacklisted from other ISP's.
Something on your machine is sending traffic to the internet.
MalwarebYtes is the best tool at cleaning those types of infections...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet