Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times

Advertisements

Hi there:
I have a pretty successful blog but when I set up that domain name I wasn't really thinking it would take off and I named it in Spanish. Now the name of my blog is in English and all content is in English.
I bought the domain name through blogger.com
So now, I want to buy a domain name through, for example, godaddy.com but in English so it can match the actual blog name.
How can I do it so that when someone types in the NEW domain name it lands them on my current blog?
I don't want to "move" my blog to my NEW domain (if that's even possible) just want to buy an additional domain and be able to have both go to my current blog.

Thanks in advance guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
If the domain is registered to you (e.g. yourdomain.com) it's easily done. You have this domain registered to yourself through registrar?

If so log into the control panel and see if they have an option for domain forwarding. If they don't have option for doamin forwarding transfer the domain to a registrar that does.

In any event you'll need to maintain control of the domain for as long as you want to redirect. Once you lose it you also lose all options for redirecting.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
If you're using a Linux-based host, you can use a .htaccess file to do your redirecting.

How do I redirect my site using a .htaccess file?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If you're using a Linux-based host, you can use a .htaccess file to do your redirecting.

How do I redirect my site using a .htaccess file?
You can do that and there is other options like but you need hosting for that to work, generally speaking you'll only want to do that if you need to redirect specific parts of a site. The domain forwarding or redirecting is generally an option on the domain registration so there is no additional cost involved.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Hi there:
I have a pretty successful blog but when I set up that domain name I wasn't really thinking it would take off and I named it in Spanish. Now the name of my blog is in English and all content is in English.
I bought the domain name through blogger.com
So now, I want to buy a domain name through, for example, godaddy.com but in English so it can match the actual blog name.
How can I do it so that when someone types in the NEW domain name it lands them on my current blog?
I don't want to "move" my blog to my NEW domain (if that's even possible) just want to buy an additional domain and be able to have both go to my current blog.

Thanks in advance guys!

upload an index.html page that has coded html redirect....

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Your Page Title</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com"></HEAD>
<BODY>
Optional page text here.
</BODY>
</HTML>

It should take about 5 minutes for you to do. Good luck.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2012, 02:48 PM

The meta redirect using HTML also requires you have hosting services, it's really the "poor mans" redirect and should be used as last resort or in special situations where it's more suitable. It will work but really the wrong tool for the job.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The meta redirect using HTML also requires you have hosting services, it's really the "poor mans" redirect and should be used as last resort or in special situations where it's more suitable. It will work but really the wrong tool for the job.
That method and the .htaccess method work well if you want to use the redirected domain for stealthy hosting, but not have it be a presence of its own.

For example, you could have redirected.com point to here.com when visitors land on the top level of the domain. If you do the redirect at the registrar, then you can't host anything under that domain.

If you do the redirect on the host, you can put a web page at redirected.com/page.html and it will show up. If you do the redirect at the registrar, it will send visitors to here.com/page.html or the top level of here.com.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
then you can't host anything under that domain.
If I'm understanding his post correctly they don't want to host anything on the new domain. He's going to buy a new domain presumably for advertising purposes and to insure that if someone types the name of his blog into the address bar they are redirected properly to original domain.

If you don't need hosting there is no sense paying $5 a month for hosting services just for redirection when that service can be provided by the registrar.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:36 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I'm understanding his post correctly they don't want to host anything on the new domain. He's going to buy a new domain presumably for advertising purposes and to insure that if someone types the name of his blog into the address bar they are redirected properly to original domain.

If you don't need hosting there is no sense paying $5 a month for hosting services just for redirection when that service can be provided by the registrar.
You are correct. Currently the blog is hosted by blogger.com but I paid for a unique url.
So if I go back to blogger and sign up for another unique url with the new domain name I can just add html code like the one mentioned above by 20yearsinbranson correct?

All I want is for people to type in www.newblogname.com and land on my www.oldblogname.com which contains the content.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
So if I go back to blogger and sign up for another unique url with the new domain name I can just add html code like the one mentioned above by 20yearsinbranson correct?
Just register the new domain with any registrar that has domain forwarding (they might call it redirecting). It will cost you about 10 bucks a year, in the control pnel will be an option where you want to redirect it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet