Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's some bad information. Obtaining someone's IP is not going to allow you see where they have been.
When you're on a "secure" site that only means the communication between your computer and the server is encrypted. This is to prevent a third party from intercepting that information in transit and be able to read it.
While what you suggest is technically possible being able to obtain someones IP and then being able to intercept unencrypted data with personal information is like a gazillion to one shot.
Wanna test this theory? Was not bad information. I live with a Senior Unix systems administrator and just read your post to him. What about Carnivore (sp?) used by the FBI?? They have used it for years to track where people go. I would NOT want to test that one for sure. If the FBI has software that can track people so do other people who are government, non government and more. Surely at least once you have received that ridiculous email from "Africa" where someone has a relative that has died and left them a pile of money and all you have to do is send them a couple thousand so they can in turn send you millions..where do they get your address for that crap??
Best way to stay safe on the internet is to NOT put too much info on it..bottom line...people are way too trusting when it comes to using their social security number, credit card numbers, home address, phone numbers etc. Me?? I have a pretty good firewall set up here but does it stop my info from getting out there totally, I wouldn't want to put money on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
..where do they get your address for that crap??
From a variety of sources, for example if you post it here on this forum. There is bots scouring pages like this called email harvesters. Once your email address gets into the wild it's going to get passed around to all the spammers. Email lists like that get bought and sold just like a product. You haven't been singled out.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-18-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
My husband is a systems administrator for a prominent bank here in town, has done systems administration for years. I asked him about this and he said to keep on deleting unwanted messages because there has been a lot of IP address "stealing" going on. He said that every day at work at least 4 times a day, they get messages that say "DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL"..so be careful he said people can and do get your IP address so get rid of anything you don't recognize as valid and safe.
<shrug> I worry more about the people who mail stuff to me than what I open on my TEXT ONLY email program. People who have to have pretty pictures and text formatting to comprehend every email are pretty sad. People who have to send stuff like that are usually even more sad. I use my hotmail address for untrustworthy stuff. Let 'em trace links to other spammers.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. if I understand correctly the only info. which can potentially be gotten is my IP address?

And the IP address only gives away the location of my server but not my home address.

Is this correct?

Thanks
It identifies who your ISP is, and typically which city you are located in. It cannot identify you or your address. The only way that can be reveled is if a law enforcement agency subpoenas your ISP to provide the user information for the IP address.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
John: If someone gets your IP address they can see where you have been on your computer. If you have ordered anything on a site that isn't secure then they can get your information which would include your home address. Rule of thumb...when on a site ordering stuff, check to be sure it is a secure site. More often than not, the site will let you know if it is secure or not. As a safety precaution, I try not to order online. Just don't trust it anymore.
NO, they CANNOT see where you have been. You do not OWN an IP address, it is tempoarly assigned to you by your ISP, and it can change and and probably does from time to time. In the days of dial-up your probably got a different IP address every single time you connected.

(and before everyone's feathers get fluffed up, yes you can pay extra to have a "static IP", but you still don't "own" it)

Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
On another message board I`ve been receiving weird PM designed to get me to respond.

I simply delete the PMs but wonder if I did reply can my IP address be traced by the person sending the message?

Or can this only be done by the message board administrator?

Thanks for any help with this.
Apparently many missed that the OP is NOT talking about email, but a "private message" or as it is called on C-D a DM (direct message).

IF the PM or DM conflicts of the TOS of the message board or forum (threatening, insulting, etc.) then contact the mods

Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
Quote:
Would you like to test this theory?
Sure?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Would you like to test this theory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Sure?

Me too, can I play? Pleeeeeeeeeeze What's my IP?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
To quote kazyn

Quote:
LOL! Come on, that's cheating!
But as you wish.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
To quote kazyn

But as you wish.
It was a swap though, for now his site IP is known. I have no open ports, the site does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet