U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,523,562 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has more than one email account. As she normally "talks" to me via facebook messaging, a couple of days ago I was very surprised to get an email from her. There was nothing in it but a link, and although she is very savvy with computers, I can't remember a single link she has ever sent me.

My first thought was, why did she send me email? And, my second thought was, I wonder which account she is using these days.... When I moused over the sender's name to see which account, it had another name underneath. Furthermore, it came via neither expected search engine.

I wrote down the name underneath, ran a search on it and found three people that seem perfectly respectable. One's a real estate agent in Toledo with all sorts of "proper" accounts including facebook and LinkedIn. I didn't search much on the other two as I did recently post couple of messages in the Toledo room although that's not my territory.

I set the matter aside. Today it happened again, but with another name under my friend's name. (This one has not had a search run on it.)

The search engine being used is Yahoo email. The thing of it is, I have more than one facebook friend likewise in my Yahoo email contacts, and while my friend does have a Yahoo account it's not used and not even in my list of Yahoo contacts.

Now, if you can figure that one out, I have another little mystery.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 07-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: word corrected
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM

15,921 posts, read 19,144,636 times
Sounds like somewhere along the line a spammer found your email address via one of your common friends address books....

Next "mystery"?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM

10,863 posts, read 20,261,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sounds like somewhere along the line a spammer found your email address via one of your common friends address books....

Next "mystery"?
Yeah, nothing really mysterious to see here, move along people.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Next "mystery"?
Thanks. I couldn't quite figure if my account had been hacked or hers. As I said, she's savvy -- fixes computers sometimes -- and seemed to think it couldn't have been on her end. And, like I said, the name underneath, at least the first one, looked legitimate.

Next mystery.

I have gotten a number of "reports" from YouTube saying something like my video is "on top." I never submitted a video and I chucked those in the trash, but one day I started getting requests for permission to use said material. These also looked legitimate.

The first thought was someone submitted a video and accidently incorporated my email address instead of theirs in the works -- my account's old, like fifteen years, and a small error or glitch might have sent theirs the wrong way. The next thought was that someone was not getting all the replies expected, and logically they should check their account settings....

In a small attempt to find something, I couldn't find anything, but I don't know how YouTube works.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Google Groups

Mystery #2 solved, next?

As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives, each wife had seven cats, each cat had seven kits....

Kits, cats man and wife how many were going to St Ives?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM

50,993 posts, read 72,565,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Thanks. I couldn't quite figure if my account had been hacked or hers. As I said, she's savvy -- fixes computers sometimes -- and seemed to think it couldn't have been on her end. And, like I said, the name underneath, at least the first one, looked legitimate.

Next mystery.

I have gotten a number of "reports" from YouTube saying something like my video is "on top." I never submitted a video and I chucked those in the trash, but one day I started getting requests for permission to use said material. These also looked legitimate.
I found few of those too, in my email spam folder. I guess, computer knew what to do with it

Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Google Groups

Mystery #2 solved, next?

As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives, each wife had seven cats, each cat had seven kits....

Kits, cats man and wife how many were going to St Ives?
None of them, just the one who met them.

As for Google, I never use it unless there is absolutely nothing else (there usually is) and it's absolutely vital (which it usually isn't)....

So, THANK YOU!

My notices were mostly in the spam, too, maybe one or two in the Inbox.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Can no-one answer my question?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Can no-one answer my question?
I did. The answer is right up there right under where the quote system copied it. ...Unless, of course, you speak of an unspoken/unwritten question or one posted somewhere else.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 AM

14,748 posts, read 16,780,079 times
Glad he did too because I was going to answer some multiple of 7.

Riddle me this:

I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation. What am I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet