Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

There is a place for compliments, complaints, questions and requests.
Gee, you might even get an 'official' reply if you use the correct forum (even if you're just ranting or bragging)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's a silly rule but I guess I have to live with it
It's not a silly rule if you consider the reason it's in place. As I've explained already the reason it's in place is to prevent a bot from flooding the forum. They could literally post hundreds or thousands of times in a few minutes.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not a silly rule if you consider the reason it's in place. As I've explained already the reason it's in place is to prevent a bot from flooding the forum. They could literally post hundreds or thousands of times in a few minutes.
The answer to his question is that he needs a slower browser. His is obviously so fast that nothing else can keep up with it, and he is such a computer whiz that he gets bored in 10 seconds. Perhaps a little less caffeine is in order... Or some common sense.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
60 seconds is too long? Seriously TV Guy??
Come on man.
If you get a notice via email that someone replied, it takes a minimum 5 seconds to receive that email. Now let's add another 2 seconds because you had to go to Gmail to see the email Even if you had the CD forums open already, +1 second to click the link. +3 seconds for your super fast browser to load the webpage.
So that's 11 seconds. Assume the reply to your post was 2 sentences and no other replies. Hit reply. +3 seconds. We are now at 16 seconds. This is best case scenario.
So what are you replying?
"Yep, I agree." ?????

Come on man.... how often does this happen to you? Enough that the entire rule should be changed??

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Well I don't like because sometimes I be in a posting flow and have to wait 12 secs. I guess because my browser is so fast now that i can go from thread to thread in 6 secs

Maybe they want you to post things that you have thought about for a few seconds before you wriite them and hit the send button. Lots of people's posts, it is pretty obvious that they didn't think about what they wrote, they didn't proofread it, they didn't spell check it. If what you post is important enough for the rest of us to read, it will take you at least 60 seconds to read the topic you are replying to, consider the wisdom of you you think of it, write your reply, review it for errors, correct spelling, etc.

If you're unwilling to go that far, are you sure anybody wants to read your post?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
60 seconds is too long? Seriously TV Guy??
Come on man.
If you get a notice via email that someone replied, it takes a minimum 5 seconds to receive that email. Now let's add another 2 seconds because you had to go to Gmail to see the email Even if you had the CD forums open already, +1 second to click the link. +3 seconds for your super fast browser to load the webpage.
So that's 11 seconds. Assume the reply to your post was 2 sentences and no other replies. Hit reply. +3 seconds. We are now at 16 seconds. This is best case scenario.
So what are you replying?
"Yep, I agree." ?????

Come on man.... how often does this happen to you? Enough that the entire rule should be changed??

I have never ever been the type of poster who says..."i agree" because it adds nothing to the thread topic. I hate those types of posters with a passion because it's obvious that they clicked on the thread because they were bored. Also isn't it obvious that I type really fast which is why I;m having this issue? I can type 3 sentences in under 20 seconds and then when I respond to the next thread and post again it's still under a minute. So it looks like my typing speed has increased in the past few months.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
I have never ever been the type of poster who says..."i agree" because it adds nothing to the thread topic. I hate those types of posters with a passion because it's obvious that they clicked on the thread because they were bored. Also isn't it obvious that I type really fast which is why I;m having this issue? I can type 3 sentences in under 20 seconds and then when I respond to the next thread and post again it's still under a minute. So it looks like my typing speed has increased in the past few months.
I'm very annoyed by posters who incessantly start new and senseless threads because obviously (a) they're bored and (b) they love the attention of even the most silly responses. They have such a low opinion of themselves and have such narrow lives that any attention is better than none.

And, no, it's not obvious that you type "fast". What's obvious is that, regardless of the speed at which you type, the issue is that your command of grammar and your spelling ability are very limited. Worse, you just can't be bothered to read over what you've written and correct typos or grammatical errors before pressing "send" which is quite insulting to those who often have to waste time trying to figure out what you're trying to say. Quality beats quantity and speed any day of the week and nothing that anybody has to say is so terribly important that it has to be thrown into cyberspace as quickly as possible.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Opera allows me to be on the web without interruptions for 6 hours or more
So you're upset because you are limited to only 360 profound announcements per day?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
There's no idiot filter when it comes to postings.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
It's official: I'm LMAO! This is one of the funniest threads on CD right now and I think it belongs in the Official Jokes and Humor Forum. I wonder if we can get it moved.

..... or closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet