U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 21,076 times

Advertisements

Well, we got cable 2 years ago with internet. It cost us roughly 8X.XX. After a year they went up on their price because we were no longer new customers. I argued with them and got the special for another year with a slight increase to 9X.XX. Well, just got our bill and it went up close to $50.00. I was really peeved so called them and asked them why we have to pay more when we have a good track record of paying on time, no lates etc and they said, they could give us another bundle which had less channels but higher speed of internet. Our speed of internet was fine and I didn't want to loose channels, not that we watched sports, (which is mostly what we loss, but there are a few others that we loss that I feel the crunch on). I am mad that they give good deals to new customers and yet good standing long customers have to pay the brunt.

Who feels this is fair? Has this happened to anyone? What did you do? We can't change because the other carrier around us is full up and there are no other choices but going to rabbit ears and no internet.

What a crock!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM

41,817 posts, read 47,016,231 times
It's a common business practice that many companies use to attract new customers.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM

8,563 posts, read 10,552,133 times
I've had TimeWarner cable with internet, and phone for a while. Realized I was wasting cash, I dropped the phone. Still paying too much, I dropped the cable and kept the internet only. For TV, I used over the air - OTA - with a Roku for programming that is not OTA. Through Roku, you can get Amazon, Netflix, Hulu or other access to your usual programming although it may be a day or week or so later than the day it shows over cable. Much of that programming can be viewed over your PC as well.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get some pretty good deals on movies and TV shows.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM

14,295 posts, read 16,357,040 times
WHere do you live?

(I should not have to ask that question when there is a location field you can fill out...)

Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

13,182 posts, read 26,896,355 times
Cable is a huge rip off but unfortunately where I live it's the only (monopoly) option as I'm too far for old fashioned antenna and FIOS is not available. Just satelite TV would be available

Now our cable company, Cablevision is going to require you have a box for every TV you use, really a box to watch ABC?? Of course with the box comes the rental fee of almost $7.00 a month, for us that means another $28.00 a month as we use 4 tv's!!!! Okay $28.00 a month doesn't sound like much but multiply all the households that will now be forced to rent a box!!!

I'm going to look into Direct TV the only other option I have and see what the cost will be.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

8,402 posts, read 22,416,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embarrassed123 View Post
Well, we got cable 2 years ago with internet. It cost us roughly 8X.XX. After a year they went up on their price because we were no longer new customers. I argued with them and got the special for another year with a slight increase to 9X.XX. Well, just got our bill and it went up close to $50.00. I was really peeved so called them and asked them why we have to pay more when we have a good track record of paying on time, no lates etc and they said, they could give us another bundle which had less channels but higher speed of internet. Our speed of internet was fine and I didn't want to loose channels, not that we watched sports, (which is mostly what we loss, but there are a few others that we loss that I feel the crunch on). I am mad that they give good deals to new customers and yet good standing long customers have to pay the brunt.

Who feels this is fair? Has this happened to anyone? What did you do? We can't change because the other carrier around us is full up and there are no other choices but going to rabbit ears and no internet.

What a crock!!!!!
What does "full up" mean?

I'm on TW for internet only, and recently I called to renegotiate as I do every year. I'd received a notice saying my bill was going up a few bucks, which was fine. But when I called to verify and see if there were any other options I should consider, they told me I could raise the speed and lower the price $5 from the old price per month. We had a long discussion about that, because it seemed too good to be true. No reason was given for the offer, but three months later my internet is still noticeably faster, and I'm still paying less than I did last year.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM

4,253 posts, read 8,877,175 times
Worked for cable/phone/internet company, yes, that's how the bait/hook works. The dirty secret that is not known to a *normal* customer is that if you call to object to the new price or ask for help with the monthly amount, the underlying message to the receiver is that you are not going to cancel, so you are just politely told that this is a business practice, sorry. If you however call to cancel, you are going to be handled by a special dept throwing at you special pricing because it's better for them to have a customer paying $15 a month than nothing. (Not all companies have this policy, especially not in monopoly areas).

We haven't had a cable for 5 years. I am on top of all current shows though. Netflix for $8/months keeps my kids satisfied with quality cartoons/shows non-stop and multiple seasons and no drivel commercials. Some adult movies/shows are good on Netflix, too. The rest is possible to find on the Internet for free. It's important to have a good speed for streaming, and it's good if the provider is not measuring bandwidth usage.

In short, I think it's crazy to pay $100 +/- a month for something that's available for free. (and it doesn't mean watching it all on a computer: we watch stuff on a regular 40" TV - with wireless internet anything can be streamed onto TV).

Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
The dirty secret that is not known to a *normal* customer is that if you call to object to the new price or ask for help with the monthly amount, the underlying message to the receiver is that you are not going to cancel, so you are just politely told that this is a business practice, sorry. If you however call to cancel, you are going to be handled by a special dept throwing at you special pricing because it's better for them to have a customer paying $15 a month than nothing. (Not all companies have this policy, especially not in monopoly areas).
Is this "dirty secret" not obvious everyone who thinks about it for two seconds?

Calling to cancel is the only thing that has a chance of working, but I haven't even had much success with that lately. They know they're the only game in town (Centurylink promises 12Mbps or so, but actually delivers more like 1 Mbps) so they're completely unmotivated to not gouge their existing customers.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,816,917 times
The wholesale costs of cable channels go up every year. Sports channels are one of the worst offenders. The only visible sign of this from the consumer side are those occasional times where a cable company threatens to remove a channel or group of channels because the company that provides those channels is asking for too much money. Over 90% of these increases pass through without a peep and the only way the consumer finds out is when the bill goes up.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM

16,308 posts, read 26,884,183 times
They don't want to loose customers, so nicely explain that "my bill is too high" and I will be forced to cancel my service and get the service from satellite or the phone company, or whatever is available in your area. (do a search and have some prices of the competition to throw out). Charter has always "found a discount" they will offer to keep my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet