Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times

Advertisements

BTW, isn't it recommended that you connect to a router using a cable for initial connection and set up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:30 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
BTW, isn't it recommended that you connect to a router using a cable for initial connection and set up?
Maybe in the manual for simplicities sake, no reason it can't be done via wife

Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,517,594 times
The reason I haven't posted further is that I have been on the phone for the past 3 hours dealing with attempting to get this broadband account opened at Comcast. It turns out I called a third-party contractor to get the account set up (which I didn't even know existed), and its been an absolute complete nightmare since then. I am currently on hold right now. I have talked to five different people today and am holding for a supervisor at the moment.

I decided to give up today.

My Comcast laptop 4G card expires on Friday, and on Saturday I will be considered a "new" Comcast customer, and therefore eligible for their cheaper rates. So I will call Comcast directly then. I now know that the only number I should call is 1-800-XFINITY, not the other 1-800 numbers that show up when I searched for a Comcast number, which led me into this deathspiral into hell that I've just spent the past four hours dealing with.

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 08-26-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 04:36 AM

15,410 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hmmmmmm...... Would that password be "I do"?
If it's his wife then that password has expired. He should change it to "yes dear''.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I now know that the only number I should call is 1-800-XFINITY, not the other 1-800 numbers that show up when I searched for a Comcast number, which led me into this deathspiral into hell that I've just spent the past four hours dealing with.
Lesson learned, do not take search results as gospel.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM

I hope you get it all straightened out. Good luck to you and let us know how you fare.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Lesson learned, do not take search results as gospel.
Until yesterday, it would have never even crossed my mind that there were these third party companies selling Comcast. I had no idea such a thing existed.

When I called the number, the computer voice said, "Thank you for calling Comcast" - so given that I didn't even know that I could be calling a company that wasn't actually Comcast, there is no reason I would have assessed that that was who I was talking to.

Had I known that this scenario even existed, or had I been able to find an actual phone number on the main Comcast webpage, I would have called that one.

My final problem was that after the third-party company took my order, they then transferred me to what I found out was a call center that contracted for Comcast, for the installation process. This company wanted to get my SS number to do a credit check, but they were unwilling to tell me the name of their company.

So, I decided to cancel the order and I will call Comcast directly at the end of the week.

Needless to say this was a HUGE pain in the @ss and I wish I had known all about this third-party stuff at 3:30pm yesterday.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Ok, now I am confused again. I am reading the "quick installation" guide from that site, and for the first step, its saying I need to plug ethernet cables from the PC into this router, and then also plug the router into the modem. Why do I have to plug this into my computer AND the modem?
You understand the router is only needed for wifi or multiple devices? If you're just going to connect a single computer and it's close to the modem you can plug the computer directly into the modem, no router needed.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You understand the router is only needed for wifi or multiple devices? If you're just going to connect a single computer and it's close to the modem you can plug the computer directly into the modem, no router needed.
I would be certain that the modem has a firewall built in before I skipped using a router.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM

I have a laptop (and may be getting a tablet soon) and so I need the wifi signal in my house.

I was using a laptop 4G card from Comcast, but they are discontinuing that this month, and I decided rather than get another laptop card, I would get wifi so I can use multiple devices at home.

I thought I would plug the cable from the wall into the modem and then the modem into the router - that is why those instructions to plug the PC into the router confused me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet