Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Is there no other coverage where you are?
If it's so awful, why don't you switch to a different provider?
You say they have you 'captive'.......that's pretty rare these days, unless you mean you just don't want to pay more.
I am 'captive' to one small outfit for internet service but there is still satellite as an alternative.

If you're trying to sell online, you might just have to suck up a higher cost as "part of doing business"
(I did, BTW, eBay parttime for many years,about 2000 sales, with AOL dial-up and with lots of photos.....you do what you have to do)

Other options exist in my area, but I don't have control over my living space, and can't bring a wired connection to my room. When I called Verizon to ask about mobile options (I use mobile USB), they said their only mobile option requires a 2-year contract.

Selling on eBay is not as much a problem as buying on eBay; I like to make last-minute bids and the network unreliability is a big problem for me. If I try to place a bid with 15 seconds left, that often is insufficient time (the network plays dead and completes the request three minutes later, way too late). If I place a bid with three minutes left, someone sees I've raised the bid and has plenty of time to push it higher (costing me more) or outbidding me.

Earlier today it was actually working long enough to win 12 items from the same seller...and THEN it played dead when I tried to pay for them. (But then it was working again another half hour later.)

How can the service be as up and down as a yo-yo? Do their CSR people in India have any idea of the concept of reliability? Do they have any idea what it's like to require reliable internet service? Do they hire these people from the Unemployable caste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Is your mobile connection 4G? I use 4G on the train everyday... and while it's certainly not as quick as wired internet, it's definitely MUCH better than 3G. Consider using Wifi hotspots or moving to better living quarters?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Haven't you heard of eSnipe?
Not the only service but one I used and remember.You can google for others.
Even with the best internet service, it's hard to beat.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Other options exist in my area, but I don't have control over my living space, and can't bring a wired connection to my room. When I called Verizon to ask about mobile options (I use mobile USB), they said their only mobile option requires a 2-year contract.

Selling on eBay is not as much a problem as buying on eBay; I like to make last-minute bids and the network unreliability is a big problem for me. If I try to place a bid with 15 seconds left, that often is insufficient time (the network plays dead and completes the request three minutes later, way too late). If I place a bid with three minutes left, someone sees I've raised the bid and has plenty of time to push it higher (costing me more) or outbidding me.

Earlier today it was actually working long enough to win 12 items from the same seller...and THEN it played dead when I tried to pay for them. (But then it was working again another half hour later.)

How can the service be as up and down as a yo-yo? Do their CSR people in India have any idea of the concept of reliability? Do they have any idea what it's like to require reliable internet service? Do they hire these people from the Unemployable caste?

WiFi is always flaky. It's just the nature of the technology. If there are other wireless devices on the same 2.4Ghz frequency, then it's going to cause issues, not to mention other obstacles such as pipes in the building, microwave ovens, etc...

Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Is your mobile connection 4G? I use 4G on the train everyday... and while it's certainly not as quick as wired internet, it's definitely MUCH better than 3G. Consider using Wifi hotspots or moving to better living quarters?

Cricket is firmly ensconced in the 3G world. I like to call it 0 G, which is what I'd like them to experience. There is no wifi close to where I live, and I've had enough of going to libraries and other hotspots for wifi. Moving to better living quarters is on my list for some hypothetical future time in which I have money.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Haven't you heard of eSnipe?
Not the only service but one I used and remember.You can google for others.
Even with the best internet service, it's hard to beat.

Thanks I've heard of it but I'm one of those stubborn DIY types...although this is probably a good place to let a machine do it and a good time to change, so I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet