Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Would I get arrested for parking somewhere and surfing the net on a 4G iPad?
As you stated 4G that could imply you're using the data connection you are paying for, not wifi, so why would you think that's an arrestable offense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I'm just not WiFi saavy and am wondering if it could really replace a home connection, that's all, and if it's secure and fast enough for business transactions.
Open wifi connections are not secure. Another user connected to the same network could see/ingest all of the packets you send across that network. They'll be somewhat encrypted if you connect to https sites, but not all sites (like City-Data, for one) use https. If the most convenient connection to you uses open wifi, relying on such connections as a primary Internet source seems like an unnecessary risk.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's illegal.

So is loitering but it doesn't seem to bother the OP...

Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As you stated 4G that could imply you're using the data connection you are paying for, not wifi, so why would you think that's an arrestable offense?
I didn't think so. I was just being sarcastic.

What if a cop comes by while I'm surfing using someone's wifi, and I tell the cop I'm using my 4G?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I didn't think so. I was just being sarcastic.

What if a cop comes by while I'm surfing using someone's wifi, and I tell the cop I'm using my 4G?
Cops don't go around observing radio usage. But it can easily be determined whether you were using the wifi vs the 4G.

If you see an unsecured bike parked on public property, it would be both illegal and unethical to use that bike without permission of the owner. The same applies to unsecured wifi.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
OP here. OK, this thread has taken a direction I didn't intend it to.

My goal isn't to "mooch" or get internet the cheapest way possible. I'm aware being a regular Starbucks customer adds up. My point is I used to be much more productive, and social, before I could web surf at home and I want to eliminate that option. Having to go out to get online would force me to limit my browsing.

What this is really about is disconnecting from the cyber world and getting out. That doesn't include freezing in my car by myself so I can scam a free internet connection, LOL.

I'm just not WiFi saavy and am wondering if it could really replace a home connection, that's all, and if it's secure and fast enough for business transactions.
Regardless of what you say here, in the OP, you come off as someone trying to mooch or get internet the cheapest way possible. Especially with the first item on your list of issues being:

Quote:
1. Comcast cable is a huge ripoff

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Cops don't go around observing radio usage. But it can easily be determined whether you were using the wifi vs the 4G.
How they going to do that? You think I'm going to show them my iPad or phone?

Quote:
If you see an unsecured bike parked on public property, it would be both illegal and unethical to use that bike without permission of the owner. The same applies to unsecured wifi.
I don't read their terms of use that some places make you click through. Who does? Do they actually say it is not allowed? I think it's more like photography. If it's in public then I can take the photo. The police have no right to interfere with that.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
No, its not the same. By using the bike, you a) deprive the owner of use, and b) cause wear and tear, and c) expose the property to hazard.. It's more like using the pump island lights at a gas station to read a map.

Jeez, the OP did not ask for economic, moral. ethical or legal advice, and clearly does not welcome it if gratuitously offered.. He asked a practical question about the technical feasibility of accessing his internet needs, on a forum dedicated to practical questions about the technical feasibility of accessing his internet needs.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, its not the same. By using the bike, you a) deprive the owner of use, and b) cause wear and tear, and c) expose the property to hazard.. It's more like using the pump island lights at a gas station to read a map.
You're ignoring the context of what I said. I said it was illegal and unethical to use someone's bike without permission and the same applies to Wifi. I didn't say they were the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Jeez, the OP did not ask for economic, moral. ethical or legal advice, and clearly does not welcome it if gratuitously offered.. He asked a practical question about the technical feasibility of accessing his internet needs, on a forum dedicated to practical questions about the technical feasibility of accessing his internet needs.
And I answered the OPs question. However, the OP was clearly asking from within the context of economics. He mentions that Comcast is a "huge ripoff". This ties in the economics of it.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
You're ignoring the context of what I said. I said it was illegal and unethical to use someone's bike without permission and the same applies to Wifi. I didn't say they were the same.
But the same does not apply to WiFi in any sense whatsoever, and is the worst possible analogy. Under the law, taking tangible property is in no sense similar to taking services. In fact, taking the bike doesn't even constitute theft, unless it can be shown to be with the intent of permanently depriving the owner of the property. For this reason, a whole new classification of crime had to be enacted, that of "taking without owner's consent", which is a very minor crime compared to theft.

As for theft of services, it only applies where it is done to avoid a legal and customary charge for the services, and the WiFi signal from a coffee shop very likely does not meet that test, since it is being offered to the general public, subject to a request that it be associated with a transaction. And since it is not tangible property, it can't even be equated with helping yourself to a free breakfast buffet at a hotel where you are not a guest.

Furthermore, in order for it to be illegal, there needs to be a mens rea to accompany the actus reus. in which the perpetrator knows and intends to be unlawfully stealing a service to which he is not lawfully entitled, and for which there would be a customary charge that he is ttempting to avoid.

And finally, every American, acording to his own conscience, is free to do anything unethical that he desires to do, provided it is not also illegal or subject to a stipulated code of ethics regulated by a stated agreement. So the OP's proposal is probably not illegal, and whether it is unethical is not the concern of readers here, nor the topic of this thread.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-07-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet