Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 AM

15,409 posts, read 25,702,794 times

Advertisements

I don't think any of those stores cares if a person does it. They would only care if lots of people were doing it. I don't see many others doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,426,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Would I get arrested for parking somewhere and surfing the net on a 4G iPad?
Depends. If you're parked in my driveway using your 4G iPad, I'm calling the cops on you.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 AM

5,920 posts, read 6,426,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't think any of those stores cares if a person does it. They would only care if lots of people were doing it. I don't see many others doing it.
Here's a novel idea, why don't you actually ask store management if it's OK for you to use their internet without having to be a customer? Then all doubt is removed. After all, your assumption is that you don't think the stores care, but really don't know.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,666,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you see an unsecured bike parked on public property, it would be both illegal and unethical
to use that bike without permission of the owner. The same applies to unsecured wifi.
Very bad analogy.
Far better is the garden hose left running and unattended at the end of the yard.
Or the radio with a song or the baseball game heard through an open window.

The benefits to these are there whether used or not...
and using them, listening to a song or or an inning of a game or having a sip of the water...
doesn't cost that homeowner anything not already being spent by them.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Depends. If you're parked in my driveway using your 4G iPad, I'm calling the cops on you.
I'll be sure not to park there!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Here's a novel idea, why don't you actually ask store management if it's OK for you to use their internet without having to be a customer? Then all doubt is removed. After all, your assumption is that you don't think the stores care, but really don't know.
Thanks for the idea. Really. If they don't want it done, then they can put a password on it. It's that simple. It works for so many others. Some of these places used to have that and then they opened it up to everyone.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,570,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Very bad analogy.
Far better is the garden hose left running and unattended at the end of the yard.
Or the radio with a song or the baseball game heard through an open window.

The benefits to these are there whether used or not...
and using them, listening to a song or or an inning of a game or having a sip of the water...
doesn't cost that homeowner anything not already being spent by them.
The water is so-so as you have to pick up the hose to get the drink, but the baseball game through an open window? No. That requires no effort on your part whatsoever. Using someone else's WiFi requires you to accept responsibility by forcing a connection to it.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,666,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Using someone else's WiFi requires you to accept responsibility by forcing a connection to it.
What force?
I open up my laptop and it's right there... like a canape on a silver platter.

The thirty or so people who believe they have something to lose can set their protocols to protect that.
Everyone else in the world has no loss from the courtesy.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,047,076 times
Quote:

The thirty or so people who believe they have something to lose can set their protocols to protect that.
Source?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,570,806 times
Quote:
What force?
I open up my laptop and it's right there... like a canape on a silver platter.

It's not there for you to freely use it. The connection is not automatic. You have to connect your wireless to it to use it. That is forcing. I'm sure you don't think so, but it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet